• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMEX?

Renegade Radio and "Sandy" said they'd be back on Monday..."Sandy" said something about scheduling changes? She may be referring to probably Savage taking over the 3 to 7 slot live from now on....IIRC Renegade said the other day that they now have a contract...they've been working without one since December....both Renegade and "Sandy" said not to believe everything you've heard about what's going on over there. Renegade will be at F1 Braintree on the 15th and they also plan to have a "tell all" broadcast possibly as soon as next week where you can ask any question about anything going on at the station and they will answer honestly. I know that they are thrilled to death that mcscreamer is gone, they couldn't contain themselves yesterday morning!

Pica and Berner failed to mention that their new contract was with T Mobil for unlimited data for 45.00 per month.

Renegade said the other day that they now have a contract

Since one of the two guys is a part owner, why would he need a contract with his own station?

Pica and Berner failed to mention that their new contract was with T Mobil for unlimited data for 45.00 per month.

Exactly! LOL, they didn't say WHO they had a contract with....they've been sending out demos to other stations for months - what amuses me is that they promote themselves as "the hottest new comedy show in Boston"...the irony is..they're not that funny.

Since one of the two guys is a part owner, why would he need a contract with his own station?

Bryan Berner's sister Mary and her husband Henry are owners.......Bryan is one of the morning guys and owns one percent of the station according to the post above by MRBIboredop.....Bryan acts as GM.....not sure why Bryan would need a contract at all seeing as his sister and brother-in-law are in charge....

Bryan Berner's sister Mary and her husband Henry are owners.......Bryan is one of the morning guys and owns one percent of the station according to the post above by MRBIboredop.....Bryan acts as GM.....not sure why Bryan would need a contract at all seeing as his sister and brother-in-law are in charge....

Mea Culpa. I seem to recall the co-host (Pica?) busting his chops about rolling in late, saying things along the line of "when you're the owner I guess you can come to work whenever you want." My memory isn't what it used to be though. Old age.

Can I tell you how nice it is to turn on WMEX and not hear mcscreamer or her producer doing a spot promoting her book or dear God, the "my pillow" spot? A replay of the day before of Tim Constantine has now taken over the 10 - noon spot and Savage is live from 3 to 6, actually he's live from 3 to 5 - seems the hour from 5 to 6 is a repeat, regardless though, it's nice to not be afraid to turn WMEX on between 3 and 6! I think Constantine is on again from 6 - 9.

Can I tell you how nice it is to turn on WMEX...

...it's nice to not be afraid to turn WMEX on between 3 and 6

On the other hand, we lose local talk for another national generic talk show.

Michelle's voice was not made for radio, but she was knowledgeable about the local area, local happenings, and local politics.

I can hear national generic whining in a million places. Local talk is getting harder to find.

(BTW....I DO like Tim Constatine...he's a fun listen.)

Why can't this station diplex on the 890 towers in Ashland or the 650 towers in Framingham? Much more of the market would be in front of the towers, and they probably would not have to worry about the whole NIMBY stuff of trying to build a new setup (where?). I presume that with 50KW aimed right at the metro and good processing they could be just fine. That would get them out of the Waltham mess.

As far as those people in the morning, it is always the mark of a show with no audience to try to get ANYONE to call by saying the most outrageous thing you can think of, usually aimed at one group (Country listeners, a certain ethnic group, you name it). It is the oldest trick in the book. Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live bit many years ago with Buck Henry as the radio talk guy getting no calls: "Killing puppies. I'm for it! You disagree? Call me now at......."

Last edited:
Why can't this station diplex on the 890 towers in Ashland or the 650 towers in Framingham? Much more of the market would be in front of the towers, and they probably would not have to worry about the whole NIMBY stuff of trying to build a new setup (where?). I presume that with 50KW aimed right at the metro and good processing they could be just fine. That would get them out of the Waltham mess.

Something to do with still having to protect long-defunct stations in Canada and Connecticut, perhaps?

Something to do with still having to protect long-defunct stations in Canada and Connecticut, perhaps?

I don't think so.
WNLC 1510 New London was deleted some time ago, and WMEX was allowed to open up their day pattern a bit s/w because of this.
At night, they have to protect WLAC Nashville (as WLAC has to protect WMEX) but the locations which I proposed should not impact the Nashville protection with a tight directional in essentially the same pattern with the same Nashville protection, just moved west slightly to pick up more of the market to the east/northeast/southeast.

I don't think so.
WNLC 1510 New London was deleted some time ago, and WMEX was allowed to open up their day pattern a bit s/w because of this.
At night, they have to protect WLAC Nashville (as WLAC has to protect WMEX) but the locations which I proposed should not impact the Nashville protection with a tight directional in essentially the same pattern with the same Nashville protection, just moved west slightly to pick up more of the market to the east/northeast/southeast.

You have addressed the US Stations, would you care to comment on the Canadian factor? Even though CJRS in Quebec has been dark for over 20 years, the Canadians are not going to give up treaty protections.

Look at WJIB AM, they are flea power at night due to a station in Toronto that has to be protected by treaty.

The last time the North American Regional Broadcasting Agreement was modified was almost 30 years ago to give us the 1600 to 1700 frequency allocations, and the last time the Canadian treaty was visited was 1984.

https://transition.fcc.gov/ib/sand/agree/files/can-bc/can-am.pdf

Last edited:
You have addressed the US Stations, would you care to comment on the Canadian factor? Even though CJRS in Quebec has been dark for over 20 years, the Canadians are not going to give up treaty protections.

Look at WJIB AM, they are flea power at night due to a station in Toronto that has to be protected by treaty.

The last time the North American Regional Broadcasting Agreement was modified was almost 30 years ago to give us the 1600 to 1700 frequency allocations, and the last time the Canadian treaty was visited was 1984.

It would take considerable negotiation to revise the Canadian treaty, as Canada has been licensing new stations on abandoned channels in order to serve under-served or un-served groups in large metros. Those groups range from Francophone communities in predominantly English speaking cities to stations serving ethnic and minority communities. They are unlikely to give up their rights.

740 is and will continue to be a Canadian clear channel, and US stations must protect the entire Canadian border. The protection requirements mirror the protection that former 1-B clear channels are given within the US.

WJIB likely could do a very tight directional operation aimed to the southeast, but likely the costs were always considered to be too high vs. the potential.

It would take considerable negotiation to revise the Canadian treaty.....

WJIB likely could do a very tight directional operation aimed to the southeast, but likely the costs were always considered to be too high vs. the potential.

I agree, I don't see it as a priority for the current administration at all, and I don't think it would be well received in the great white north.

As for WJIB, that has been signal hampered since day 1, I'm hoping Bob can get the pirate off his translator freq and be successful beyond his wildest dreams. Nobody deserves it more than he does.

I wonder why WMEX didn't upgrade before WNLC moved from 1490 (I think) to 1510 and before CJRS went on the air in 1967. They would have only had to protect WLAC Nashville and KGA Spokane. For that matter, why did the FCC allow WNLC to move to 1510 when there was another station on the same frequency barely 100 miles away. They would have had a lot more options for transmitter location with only WLAC and KGA in the picture.

Last edited:
I wonder why WMEX didn't upgrade before WNLC moved from 1490 (I think) to 1510 and before CJRS went on the air in 1967. They would have only had to protect WLAC Nashville and KGA Spokane. For that matter, why did the FCC allow WNLC to move to 1510 when there was another station on the same frequency barely 100 miles away. They would have had a lot more options for transmitter location with only WLAC and KGA in the picture.

It's not just the night co-channel interference that is at issue. There are rules that affect 1500 and 1520 (DC and Buffalo) at night, with WFED and WWKB looking like major protection issues. The daytime nulls are not severe, and they point towards the general direction of DC and Buffalo. The critical hour pattern supports this. Obviously, since critical hour operation is a relatively new thing, the upgrade of WMEX some decades ago took that into account.

When the station rebuilt, it had to protect against new allocations. Prior to that, new allocations had to protect it. Thus the "new" night pattern had to protect Québec, while the old one did not.

Nights appears to protect Buffalo, Nashville and DC.

There are adjacent, second adjacent and even third adjacent rules for 1480, 1490, 1500, 1520, 1530 and 1540 in the daytime. Some are certainly way to strict for radios made in the last 60 years or so, but them be the rules.

The assumption is that the original WMEX facility was as good as it could be at the time it was built and then modified.

Note: I do not have all the engineering studies, and am making assumptions based on the Electric Field Strength pattern plots and the bearings of the nulls vs. licensed stations.

As for WJIB, that has been signal hampered since day 1, I'm hoping Bob can get the pirate off his translator freq and be successful beyond his wildest dreams. Nobody deserves it more than he does.

Agreed. All the best to him... even more so since I discovered that long ago he programmed WHOA when I was across the street in the same market!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom