• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMEX?

What market was this?

San Juan, PR. Bob was PD on Carmina Mendez' station WHOA, a 5kw fulltimer on 870. It was one of just a couple of stations that programmed for "continentals" (Gringos from the mainland who did not speak Spanish) and the highly bilingual set of business managers and owners who liked the station for its network news and market reports. It was fundamentally an AC station with a Puerto Rican flavor.

Carmina's husband ran a motorcycle delivery service that did a lot of business delivering carts and copy and contracts to the media, as well as legal documents, real estate papers and the like in San Juan's "Worst in The Westrern Hemisphere" traffic. Carmina's daughter, Elsie Schroeder was really bright and was taking a lot of the day to day work from Carmina, who had a deal with some guy Leake from Oklahoma or thereabouts to put a new English language TV channel on the air on Ch. 13.

While Bob was there, the station sounded pretty nice. It had flow, consistency and a number of other qualities that were not endemic to Island radio. While it never go terrific ratings due to the few folks who really understood English, i hear it made a nice living wage for the family.

In 1972, WHOA had a 1.2 share in the ratings (I had a 19.1 at WUNO), which meant that a big proportion of the English speaking community was all listening. As COntinentals left the Island in the 70's, WHOA declined to a 0.8 by 1978 (my AM and FM, WQII and WZNT had a 31.2 combined share).

During that period in the 70's, the vast majority of Continentals gradually moved off the island.

Last edited:
Savage is live from 3 to 6, actually he's live from 3 to 5 - seems the hour from 5 to 6 is a repeat

Does Savage actually do a 3 hour broadcast? Any time I've listened to him, the 3rd hour has always been a repeat of the 1st. I think the only time I've heard 3 original hours of broadcast from his show is when he has a guest host, like Juan DePedro, filling in.

don't you mean during that period in the 70's, the vast majority of Continentals FLED the island.

No. Living on the Island in the 70's was fantastic. But after 20 years of Operation Bootstrap, the need for outsiders as managers, chemists, engineers and technicians had declined as the local universities graduated thousands of Puerto Ricans who could fill the jobs better. So the Continentals who had not assimilated (and most never did) found their world shrinking in a country where everyone preferred to speak Spanish.

So, as their contracts ran out, they left the island and by the early 80's, The Swiss Chalet on Ave. de Diego had lost half of its client base and eventually closed. And, with a dwindling supply of English speaking friends, the remaining Continentals got Island Fever and did not last much longer.

At one point, you had Bob Hope's station run by Bob Bennett, The Hearst station run by Ray Owen, The El Mundo newspaper's stations run by Peter Albee, Alfredo Ramirez de Arellano's stations run by Glenn Tryon, WOSO run by Auggie Cavallaro, and WRSJ AM&FM owned by O. Roy Chalk. By the early 80's, all but one of those operators was gone.

In most cases, it was seen that Continentals, unless they became ultra-assimilated, could not understand and develop radio in the totally different cultural environment of the coquí, the tostón and the coquito, lechón and arroz con gandules in the fiestas navideñas.

Last edited:
Savage is on WMEX from 3 to 6 - first two hours are live, last hour is a repeat of one of the hours, not sure why that is....not sure if MEX chooses not to air the live third hour or if Savage only does two hours live..years ago he used to take every Wednesday off...he's up there in age....I listened for a little while yesterday and he was doing comedy...the meaning of comedy, why people think he's funny...etc.....he didn't want to get caught up in the political stuff that's going on right now...Howie OTOH was neck deep in the political stuff that's going on right now...but....he left at 6 to do a book signing....someone sent a text about him leaving early and he went off on a tangent about how YOU don't understand....Christmas is a huge time of year to sell books....Christmas and Father's Day.....YOU don't understand...I have to get out there and sell those books, kaching, kaching, kaching.....his producer Steve took over the last hour of his show.

That info may not be right, paperwork will be filed but supposedly they could go dark after 6/30 when tower lease expires.Could they find new tower and go with less power?

Tonight on that After Dark show, they mentioned that they have 3 weeks left, and Diane said they don't know what will happen after that but she "has a few things in the iron". I guess she mean "irons in the fire".

Tonight on that After Dark show, they mentioned that they have 3 weeks left, and Diane said they don't know what will happen after that but she "has a few things in the iron". I guess she mean "irons in the fire".

Yep.....Diane said they've been told that June 30th is their last show and something about the owners doing what's right for Boston and who knows what will happen. David Shaghoury and Diane McNamara will also be joined by Joey Carroll on the last show on the 30th.

something about the owners doing what's right for Boston

Doing what's right for Boston would be cancelling those two buffoons on during the morning drive.

Doing what's right for Boston would be cancelling those two buffoons on during the morning drive.

The more time that passes, the more ridiculous they get, at this point, they are background noise, only because I can't stand to listen to kim and vb. I half listened to a replay earlier where they were testing out Poo Pourri - they had someone follow Alex the news guy into the bathroom while Alex took a poop and they wanted to see if the Poo pourri worked. The guy was giving a vivid description of what was happening and Bryan wanted him to eat a bagel in the toilet to prove the smell wouldn't make him sick. This is supposed to be "good radio".....these guys are in their mid 40's and they're still doing sophomoric antics, SMH, I had to turn the radio down, it just got to be too much. Three more weeks and it's over for "the hottest new comedy show in Boston"

The more time that passes, the more ridiculous they get, at this point, they are background noise, only because I can't stand to listen to kim and vb.

Unfortunately, with the firing of Hank Stoltz on WCRN, there is simply no decent "local" talk on the morning drive any longer. I've been listening to books on tape courtesy of my local library, currently Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes.

Welcome back R-D.
WMEX for now filling 10-noon slot with "last night's show" of Tim Constantine's Capitol Hill Show, it seems.

It's better than a replay of the first two hours of Renegade. Just about all weekend long it's replays of Renegade AND from 4 to 6a daily there's a "best of" Renegade. Renegade promoting heavily their appearance at F1 Braintree this Thursday nite 7 - 10p. No mention of what will happen after the 30th.

The thing with these two loud, obnoxious, “sophmor(on)ic, locker room, gutter humor” jocks, is just that—they are natural sports talk jocks! :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom