• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New York City Metro Radio Ratings: September 2023

WKTU may be getting a larger Hispanic audience, but by no means are they targeting them specifically.
If you look at the music, that is fully Hispanic targeted. I don't mean in marketing or other aspects, but the core of any music station is the music (I know, kinda' obvious) and the music is very much aimed at second and third generation Hispanics.

On the flip side, I don't thing there is anything they would play if they knew it was highly negative among the Hispanic target

WNEW should start using its calls because it isn't New anymore. Just call it 102.7 WNEW. How strongđź’Ş would HD's be? Hopefully the signal won't get tired in Bloomingdale, NJ for traveling the long distance. Lol

None of those terms were meant to be seriously offensive. Even "honkie", which was considered a putdown of whites back in the 60's and 70's, was rarely considered truly offensive by the intended insultees. Not like the real slurs, a couple of which I've been on the receiving end of, and I won't dignify by repeating here.
Thank you to everyone that replied to my Question. Except Weiserguy. We all like to have fun. But an answer without a bunch stupid ethnic slurs & that’s what they were ethnic slurs would have been fine.

None of those terms were meant to be seriously offensive. Even "honkie", which was considered a putdown of whites back in the 60's and 70's, was rarely considered truly offensive by the intended insultees. Not like the real slurs, a couple of which I've been on the receiving end of, and I won't dignify by repeating here.
You may not be ethnic slurs to you but ask yourself this. Were they necessary ? Did it answer my question ?

Actually... Ours are the only ones properly updated. When the press numbers became available I notified Nielsen that multiple stations were missing that should have been visible. Nielsen requested that all publications hold distribution until revised, but none of the others did... We have the six originally missing stations. Nobody else right now does.

Another reason where you get your radio industry news matters...
I agree ratings info is consistent & great every single Month. Looking at other Message Boards. Ratings are rarely mentioned. But you’ll get to read about why out of market Baseball teams aren’t being broadcast on NYC radio stations. Even though The Mets & Yankees aren’t in the playoffs this year

WNEW should start using its calls because it isn't New anymore. Just call it 102.7 WNEW. How strongđź’Ş would HD's be? Hopefully the signal won't get tired in Bloomingdale, NJ for traveling the long distance. Lol
Tbh it is working especially since WPLJ went away since it is now the only Hot AC in NYC.

You may not be ethnic slurs to you but ask yourself this. Were they necessary ? Did it answer my question ?
This may have escaped your attention, but at no time was I answering your question. Or even responding to you. My wisecrack was in response to David E's comment:
WKTU targets Hispanics rather specifically, while 102.7 is more focused on what, for lack of a better term, non-Hispanic whites.
So I was being a wiseass and giving him some "better terms", most of which were absurd, and none of which should have been offensive within the context of what I wrote and the way I wrote it. I was being silly, and nobody else seems to have gotten their panties in a bunch about it. I'm sorry you did, but I truly can't see where it was worth SEVEN messages to express your outrage.

Maybe a radio board is too controversial a place for a person of your tender sensibilities.

Could have done without your racist comments. I asked a simple question & your answer is stupid & unnecessary. I find it funny It was allowed to be posted
Weiserguy used a batch of mostly obsolete or relatively inoffensive terms to make a point.

I singled out that "gringo"... which some people think of as "offensive" can actually be the opposite depending on context... so Weiserguy was really making a point about how meanings change and some, depending on usage, may actually be the opposite.

I think KTU probably targets both Hispanics and Whites tbh and mixed races considering their music choices. WNEW primarily focuses on non-Hispanic though I think.

Weiserguy used a batch of mostly obsolete or relatively inoffensive terms to make a point.

I singled out that "gringo"... which some people think of as "offensive" can actually be the opposite depending on context... so Weiserguy was really making a point about how meanings change and some, depending on usage, may actually be the opposite.
Okay thanx

Lance already detailed his reasoning in Post #7 of this thread:

Using a slightly older July 2023 NYC ratings report from UrbanInsite.com (which uses the Nielsen Audio Top Line Ratings template for their tables) which includes all of the NYC stations (including the six that were omitted from the August + September survey links), this shows how the stations self-identify their own formats, picking from what's available on Nielsen Audio's format selection list:

WNEW + WKTU self-identify as Hot Adult Contemporary.
WQHT self-identifies as Rhythmic Contemporary Hit Radio.
WWPR self-identifies as Urban Contemporary (Lance explained why he chooses "Hip Hop/R+B" for RadioInsight's tables, avoiding vague connotations and actually describing the musical format more accurately/directly.)
WBLS self-identifies as Urban Adult Contemporary. (Lance uses "Adult R+B" on RadioInsight's tables for the same reasons as above.)

To check an individual station's Nielsen Audio "Station Information Profile", use the link below -
plug in call letters and band (AM - FM - HD2 to HD9):

Last edited:
WNEW + WKTU self-identify as Hot Adult Contemporary.

That may be. But for the purposes of the trade chart, only WNEW reports as Hot AC,

WKTU reports to Mediabase as a Top 40 station. As does co-owned Z-100.

Mediabase does not have a Rhythmic Hot AC category. They have Rhythmic AC, and NY doesn't have a reporter in that format.

Back
Top Bottom