• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How’s 96.9 KAYO doin, the rest in South Sound?

I think Bill W said he did get some sort of ratings for his market, but I'm not entirely sure how those work in a market of that size. I would think it would be pretty easy to be in the top 10 there, as there are only maybe 15 stations.

I think Bill W said he did get some sort of ratings for his market, but I'm not entirely sure how those work in a market of that size. I would think it would be pretty easy to be in the top 10 there, as there are only maybe 15 stations.
The issue here is that small, family-run businesses really don’t have much use for detailed ratings. Smaller towns don’t seem to have a dogfight for ratings (unlike in major cities). When I was selling advertising, most businesses knew the radio station I worked for as the local station playing format x. That was enough for them to decide if they were either interested in hearing more. Is it nice to know who is listening to what? Absolutely. But in a place like Aberdeen (for example), if you’re in the business of selling women’s clothing, you probably want your ads to air on Sunny 102.1. There’s no competitor that makes any sense. Certain businesses like to know what your target demographics are to see if there is a match with their own demographics.

Certain businesses like to know what your target demographics are to see if there is a match with their own demographics.
And to your point; a lot of it amounts to whether the business owner is, or knows of a happy listener family member. "Ratings? Polling? I don't care about any of that crap. My wife likes your station, so we'll give it a try for a month". Problem is; someone committing to a month contract only, isn't going to see the results they're looking for. Then you need to convince them to go with a minimum six month or year contract

And to your point; a lot of it amounts to whether the business owner is, or knows of a happy listener family member. "Ratings? Polling? I don't care about any of that crap. My wife likes your station, so we'll give it a try for a month". Problem is; someone committing to a month contract only, isn't going to see the results they're looking for. Then you need to convince them to go with a minimum six month or year contract
Sounds about right. Most people I talked to said “My wife listens to your station. Let me think about it!” Of course, I did not hear back from most of them, but I genuinely believe they went home and asked their wife lol.

The issue here is that small, family-run businesses really don’t have much use for detailed ratings. Smaller towns don’t seem to have a dogfight for ratings (unlike in major cities). When I was selling advertising, most businesses knew the radio station I worked for as the local station playing format x. That was enough for them to decide if they were either interested in hearing more. Is it nice to know who is listening to what? Absolutely. But in a place like Aberdeen (for example), if you’re in the business of selling women’s clothing, you probably want your ads to air on Sunny 102.1. There’s no competitor that makes any sense. Certain businesses like to know what your target demographics are to see if there is a match with their own demographics.
105.7 didn’t compete with them anyways when they were a Hot AC because they were a sister station. So technically they never had one. However Bigfoot Country does compete with 95.3 though it likely gets lower ratings than 95.3 now that it is on a translator. I am pretty sure The Quake compete with 104.7 despite it being a translator and having lower ratings than 104.7. I think 94.7 is another competitor for 95.3 but it also is on 106.1 though 95.3 would get the higher ratings anyways. I think Bigfoot country used to compete with 96.9 as well for a short period of time (a couple of years I think).

Also heard Jack FM on there too talking about Canadian eggs on a sandwich or something in the advertising. Must’ve been coming in from Canadia because of the moon cycles and temperatures or something. Leasts that’s what I read on the other forums.
That would be CJAX Vancouver; it actually goes out quite far, especially if you're north of Seattle, at a higher elevation facing north or if there's coastal tropo happening. It does transmit HD so it can wipe lower-powered stations on the same channel if you're using an HD receiver. I received it yesterday above North Bend.

That would be CJAX Vancouver; it actually goes out quite far, especially if you're north of Seattle, at a higher elevation facing north or if there's coastal tropo happening. It does transmit HD so it can wipe lower-powered stations on the same channel if you're using an HD receiver. I received it yesterday above North Bend.
96.9 is probably the best bet for anyone in the Seattle area who wants to attempt to tune into a Vancouver station (just for fun, or for dx bragging rights). 96.9 is a decently clear frequency, and CJAX can be heard all around the northern part of the metro.

96.9 is probably the best bet for anyone in the Seattle area who wants to attempt to tune into a Vancouver station (just for fun, or for dx bragging rights). 96.9 is a decently clear frequency, and CJAX can be heard all around the northern part of the metro.
With an HD receiver, CFMI 101.1 is your best bet That's the one that comes in first west of Snoqualmie Pass on I-90. I have yet to receive a Vancouver station from Seattle proper. 101.1 is decently clear as well, and I imagine KXL would be easy to catch for those going after Portland.

105.7 didn’t compete with them anyways when they were a Hot AC because they were a sister station. So technically they never had one. However Bigfoot Country does compete with 95.3 though it likely gets lower ratings than 95.3 now that it is on a translator. I am pretty sure The Quake compete with 104.7 despite it being a translator and having lower ratings than 104.7. I think 94.7 is another competitor for 95.3 but it also is on 106.1 though 95.3 would get the higher ratings anyways. I think Bigfoot country used to compete with 96.9 as well for a short period of time (a couple of years I think).
You obviously have ratings sources I don't know about. Grays Harbor has always been a diary market. The last time we were foolish enough to purchase the ratings, we were awarded the results of approximately 50 diaries, twice a year, and delivered to us many months later. In spite of no changes in the radio formats, those 50 or less diaries produced radically different results year-to-year. Our Classic Rock competitor went from a 5 share to a 15 share back to a 5 share over the course of a few years. Frankly, the only radio station in Grays Harbor that had any consistency was KSWW, which tended to be the most-listened-to station, which intuitively makes sense in a small market, since AC tends to be a very broad-based family-friendly format. Of course every radio station has listeners, but trying to quantify using dozens of diaries, often filled out by guesswork after being prodded to return them, is difficult, if not impossible.

It's all about relationships, trust, and RESULTS!

It's all about relationships, trust, and RESULTS!
Exactly, @bossbill

i'm not a sales person, but at my last job.. as afternoons/web/prod, i actually made a few sales.. why/how? It was merchants i did business with quite regularly on a personal basis, believed in their product and knew they would be a good fit for us.

one of the business operators i sold to, i saw regularly, so i could talk to him face to face.

Exactly, @bossbill

i'm not a sales person, but at my last job.. as afternoons/web/prod, i actually made a few sales.. why/how? It was merchants i did business with quite regularly on a personal basis, believed in their product and knew they would be a good fit for us.

one of the business operators i sold to, i saw regularly, so i could talk to him face to face.
It depends entirely on ties to the community (in many cases). The people that I watched succeed with sales were born and raised in the same town, and had grown up with people who were starting many of the businesses that advertised on our station. The same formula also seems to apply to real estate, where many agents have to get started selling properties to their friends and family. I tried both, and can honestly say it’s not an easy battle for an outsider to win.

With an HD receiver, CFMI 101.1 is your best bet That's the one that comes in first west of Snoqualmie Pass on I-90. I have yet to receive a Vancouver station from Seattle proper. 101.1 is decently clear as well, and I imagine KXL would be easy to catch for those going after Portland.
I live in Lakewood(near Tacoma), and I bought an HD Radio(a tabletop model at Best Buy last year; I had one of the Walkman-type HD Radios from Insignia that I got at a Habitat for Humanity store, but it only lasted a few months...

Anyhow, from where I live I actually can get four Canadian stations(depending on how I adjust the antenna); CFMI 101.1 in Vancouver(which comes in decently; but it depends on the antenna), Jack FM in Victoria, B.C.(I think it's 103.1; which I can get pretty good reception), and I think once in a while 94.5 out of Vancouver... as well as 100.3 FM in Victoria, B.C.(which comes in fairly decently, depending on the antenna).

It depends entirely on ties to the community (in many cases). The people that I watched succeed with sales were born and raised in the same town, and had grown up with people who were starting many of the businesses that advertised on our station. The same formula also seems to apply to real estate, where many agents have to get started selling properties to their friends and family. I tried both, and can honestly say it’s not an easy battle for an outsider to win.
My first sales job was at a brand new station in a market that had 42 full coverage stations. I had been in the market and in the country for nine months when it went on the air. For the first six months, we billed less than $50 a month. Then one agency did its own survey and found my station to be #1. We were sold out in 30 days.

Next case was with a station that was last in the market and losing, in 1970 dollars, $45,000 a month. I realigned the staff and format and in 90 days was profitable. I had been in the market for four months. I had never even visited it before.

In larger, ratings driven markets, nothing beats having a big and responsive audience.

I live in Lakewood(near Tacoma), and I bought an HD Radio(a tabletop model at Best Buy last year; I had one of the Walkman-type HD Radios from Insignia that I got at a Habitat for Humanity store, but it only lasted a few months...

Anyhow, from where I live I actually can get four Canadian stations(depending on how I adjust the antenna); CFMI 101.1 in Vancouver(which comes in decently; but it depends on the antenna), Jack FM in Victoria, B.C.(I think it's 103.1; which I can get pretty good reception), and I think once in a while 94.5 out of Vancouver... as well as 100.3 FM in Victoria, B.C.(which comes in fairly decently, depending on the antenna).
It doesn’t get in on the analog radios in our cars.

Back
Top Bottom