• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How’s 96.9 KAYO doin, the rest in South Sound?

They must not be paying for pager wearers. They don’t even show up. If Wolf is doing top ratings and KAYO is there how are they doin?

I know they have an antenna out west of Olympia somewhere in BFE.. but they are by far most popular amongst my friends that like country. They say better music selection and just like it better. How’s the rest of those stations in Olympia Shelton etc doin? They like have their own little market or something. I heard music on 103.3 and it was Mason County. How’s that one? Classic Hits on 95.3.

By the way heard talk radio stupid stuff on 96.9 call letters KODx or something lame when I was up north. That station sucks. They didn’t even make sense during the interview. Like umm s and Uhhs and yeas like the interviewer didn’t pay attention to the person interviewed and stuff. Why is that there? Should be something better.

Also heard Jack FM on there too talking about Canadian eggs on a sandwich or something in the advertising. Must’ve been coming in from Canadia because of the moon cycles and temperatures or something. Leasts that’s what I read on the other forums.

By the way heard talk radio stupid stuff on 96.9 call letters KODx or something lame when I was up north. That station sucks. They didn’t even make sense during the interview. Like umm s and Uhhs and yeas like the interviewer didn’t pay attention to the person interviewed and stuff. Why is that there? Should be something better

It is a LPFM, that sounds about right.

EARTH ON-THE-AIR INDEPENDENT MEDIA Is the operator.

They must not be paying for pager wearers. They don’t even show up. If Wolf is doing top ratings and KAYO is there how are they doin?

I know they have an antenna out west of Olympia somewhere in BFE.. but they are by far most popular amongst my friends that like country. They say better music selection and just like it better. How’s the rest of those stations in Olympia Shelton etc doin? They like have their own little market or something. I heard music on 103.3 and it was Mason County. How’s that one? Classic Hits on 95.3.
It’s too bad that 96.9 doesn’t subscribe, because it would be fun to see how they perform. Truly, KAYO is a very good station. They’ve got a great mixture of music, an excellent lineup of programming, and a local feel. Not to mention, their signal covers the south sound pretty well. It’s not going to make much of a dent in the the PPM (as the contour only hits a small portion of the market), but I suspect they do better than some would think.

I’d be willing to bet that a lot of country listeners in the south sound listen to both 100.7 and 96.9.

It’s too bad that 96.9 doesn’t subscribe, because it would be fun to see how they perform. Truly, KAYO is a very good station. They’ve got a great mixture of music, an excellent lineup of programming, and a local feel. Not to mention, their signal covers the south sound pretty well. It’s not going to make much of a dent in the the PPM (as the contour only hits a small portion of the market), but I suspect they do better than some would think.

I’d be willing to bet that a lot of country listeners in the south sound listen to both 100.7 and 96.9.
I wonder what the ratings in Olympia and that area is like. Would the Olympia South Sound stations dominate there? Or do they? If I had to guess they probably do or some mix of Seattle and South Sound stations with those ones down there at or near the top.

I wonder what the ratings in Olympia and that area is like. Would the Olympia South Sound stations dominate there? Or do they? If I had to guess they probably do or some mix of Seattle and South Sound stations with those ones down there at or near the top.
I think your easement is spot on. Seattle stations are listened to often, but local stations receive a lot of listeners that want content that is tailored more towards the south sound. It’s not a big market, and there isn’t much room for more entrants, but the incumbents get by.

I’ve personally sold advertising in Thurston county before. That was one of the most difficult jobs I’ve ever done. I tried that for about a month and realized it just wasn’t going to work out.
Having built a station in Thurston County years ago, I don't doubt it. This whole thinking that 'we're number one in Thurston County' amounts to nothing. Advertisers don't just buy because you're number one. They buy because they're renewing an existing business relationship, or they see a direct conversion from their advertising dollar spent, to two or more dollars of revenue in the door. If the station can't deliver that conversion on a regular basis, the advertiser will take the much easier (and cheaper) approach of buying ads on social media sites or direct mail where ads are sold as impressions, not :30 or :60 spots. Many small market stations try to keep the client around by doing stupid-multiple trade deals trying to count it as revenue. Trade is death.

Having built a station in Thurston County years ago, I don't doubt it. This whole thinking that 'we're number one in Thurston County' amounts to nothing. Advertisers don't just buy because you're number one. They buy because they're renewing an existing business relationship, or they see a direct conversion from their advertising dollar spent, to two or more dollars of revenue in the door. If the station can't deliver that conversion on a regular basis, the advertiser will take the much easier (and cheaper) approach of buying ads on social media sites or direct mail where ads are sold as impressions, not :30 or :60 spots. Many small market stations try to keep the client around by doing stupid-multiple trade deals trying to count it as revenue. Trade is death.

I worked with one small market cluster where the owner outlawed trade for the most part, we got it for some WW1 service but day to day advertising/local clients.... $$.

If we did contests, we bought the trip, paid the hotel etc out of our coffers and then sold the contest to local advertisers.

Many small market stations try to keep the client around by doing stupid-multiple trade deals trying to count it as revenue. Trade is death.
I remember a case of a small station that "paid" $80,000 more or less for a Pinto back when there were new Pintos...

Back
Top Bottom