• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

February '24 Rolling Average

Not a lot of movement in the February release by Nielsen for Buffalo/Niagara Falls:

StationFormatOwnerNov 23Dec 23Jan 24Feb 24
WBLK-FMUrbanTownsquare Media9.08.610.09.6
WGRF-FMClassic RockCumulus Media8.28.28.18.5
WYRK-FMCountryTownsquare Media7.57.27.27.8
WTSS-FMACTownsquare Media4.46.96.36.1
WBEN-AMNews/TalkAudacy5.95.25.35.9
WHTT-FMClassic HitsCumulus Media7.36.16.65.9
WGR-AMSportsAudacy5.76.15.85.5
WKSE-FMCHRAudacy5.95.45.85.3
WBFO-FMPublic RadioWestern New York Public Broadcasting Ass3.53.94.43.8
WEDG-FMAlternativeCumulus Media3.03.73.63.7
WECK-AMOldiesRadio One Buffalo4.83.83.23.0
WNED-FMClassicalWestern New York Public Broadcasting Ass2.12.22.22.7
WLKK-FMCountryAudacy1.11.11.11.3
WBUF-FMRockTownsquare Media1.81.61.51.2
WWWS-AMUrbanAudacy0.70.60.51.1
WUFO-AMUrbanVision Multimedia Group Wufo0.80.70.70.9
WBBF-AMClassic Hip HopCumulus Media0.30.20.30.6
WEBR-AMVarietyKenmore Broadcasting Communications0.40.50.50.5
WLKK-FM-HD2Hot ACAudacyN/A0.30.30.4
WHLD-AMTalkCumulus Media0.60.40.20.3
WLVL-AMNews/TalkKenmore Broadcasting Communications0.30.20.30.3
WBEN-AM-STRNews/TalkAudacy0.10.10.20.1
WWKB-AMSportsAudacy0.50.30.20.1
WGR-AM-STRSportsAudacy0.10.10.1N/A

The "New 96.1" continues to fade from their Christmas high. WYRK stops the bleeding. WHTT and WBFO are both down .6. WECK continues to slope downward. Few of the gains or losses are much outside the statistical margin for error.

Rochester results show some erosions at the top, but no indication of where those shares went. Apparently to non-subscribers.

StationFormatOwnerNov 23Dec 23Jan 24Feb 24
WDKX-FMUrbanMonroe County Broadcasting9.69.410.09.1
WBEE-FMCountryAudacy9.610.19.18.3
WHAM-AMNews/TalkiHeartMedia6.76.77.06.8
WCMF-FMClassic RockAudacy6.15.55.35.5
WRMM-FMACStephens Media Group4.05.65.35.2
WPXY-FMCHRAudacy5.24.64.33.2
WAIO-FMTalkiHeartMedia2.53.03.22.9
WBZA-FMAdult HitsAudacy3.62.72.72.4
WDVI-FMCountryiHeartMedia2.82.72.82.1
WKGS-FMCHRiHeartMedia1.51.51.41.8
WFKL-FMAdult HitsStephens Media Group2.02.21.81.7
WXXO-FMClassicalWxxi Public Broadcasting Council1.41.51.71.7
WRUR-FMAAAUniversity of Rochester Broadcast Corp.1.01.31.41.4
WXXI-AMPublic RadioWXXI Public Broadcasting Council1.21.51.31.4
WZNE-FMAlternativeStephens Media Group0.60.50.71.1
WHTK-AMSportsiHeartMedia0.40.30.60.7
WVOR-FMACiHeartMedia0.10.40.60.6
WROC-AMSportsAudacy0.70.50.60.4
WEOS-FMNews/TalkHobart And William Smith Colleges0.10.20.30.3
WNBL-FMRockiHeartMedia0.40.10.20.3

It’s amazing how many stations in Rochester are under a 5.0 share. It’s also amazing that most of Buffalo lives in that 3.0-6.5 range. It’s clearly less radio listening in general. The entire industry seems on a downslide. The good news…. Broadcast TV is heading in the same direction

Hey! It's Persons 12+ ... but don't let that stop the speculatin'.

WBUF ... one point two. It's getting spanked by WECK (the AM and it's three translators); nosed out by the limp rimshot WLKK which pulled a whopping 1.3, whoo-hoo. And AM 1400 WWWS with a 1.1 share is breathing down the neck of a 70kW FM that belches a format that's neither anti-Edge, neither anti-97 Rock. It's neither fish nor fowl. Neither 92.9.

IF WBUF's Persons 12+ are this weak, can 25-44 and 25-44 be very impressive? You tell me. I'm open. Sure. we get that Townsquare clears its own syndicated morning show, but wow ... one point two (1.2), Monday through Sunday, 6 a.m. to midnight? The format is inching closer to Plate Current Off status every month.

At least WBLK continues to dominate. And WYRK is on the uptick, although still in third place Persons 12+. Nice monthly bump for the country format that once ruled the roost. "

And 97 Rock? Inching up every month. A year ago some posters here were clutching their pearls because the long-time midday guy walked to WECK and the speculation was that 97 would swoon. Didn't happen. So um, WBUF ... ah, never mind. The suits at Townsquare, a digital media company, are happy.

About WECK. Down again. But the thinking from a couple of mavens a few months back is that WECK took a major hit from Wall-to Wall Christmas on "We're not Star" WTSS. The mavens say WECK will rebound next month. Time will tell.

And then there's WEBR and WLVL ... RF flotsam and jetsam that washed up on the AM band. These stations have hit Plate Current Off status ... a while ago.

Somewhat surprising that WHTT had a soft month after rebounding nicely in January. Too much Soft Cell?

WBEN may have staunched the bleeding, up six tenths. MAGAts rejoice!

And WGR ... no surprise. The Bills games are over, and it's now draft speculatin' time and maybe-the-Sabres-make-the-playoffs time.

Last edited:
I’m not sure “fade” is the right word to describe the “New 96.1.” Yes, the station is down from the December peak. But remember, 96.1 as the Breeze was mired in the 3 to 4 share range. Remaining above a 6 share as the fourth rated station in the market has to be seen as a victory for Townsquare.

When Rob Lucas signed off on Star 102.5, the frequency simulcast WKSE for a week in hopes of attracting Star listeners to Kiss. It appears more of these listeners opted for 96.1 than 98.5. What I find interesting is that at least some hard-core Star 102.5 listeners are still tuning in the old format at 107.7 HD2. Granted, a .04 share is miniscule. But no HD only station in Buffalo had topped a .01 share before this.

Also of note is that WBEN rebounded a bit, putting some distance between it and WBFO, which fell a little.

It’s amazing how many stations in Rochester are under a 5.0 share.
That is because, without counting Translators and LPFMs Rochester has 50 AM and FM stations.
It’s also amazing that most of Buffalo lives in that 3.0-6.5 range.
Buffalo has 33 AM and FM stations. 52 if we include translators and LPFM stations.
It’s clearly less radio listening in general. The entire industry seems on a downslide.
You can't judge radio based on share. There are always 100 share points, whether there a two stations or twenty or a hundred in the market.
The good news…. Broadcast TV is heading in the same direction
That is very bad news. Newspapers are nearly dead everywhere. In huge markets like Cleveland and New Orleans, they don't even publish a print edition every day. And where papers remain, nearly all markets are down to just one... with no competition and nearly no profits.

Licensed broadcast TV stations are the only widely accessible full service news providers in most markets.

Example: I am in a market of a half-million and the local newspaper is horrible. One of the consolidated TV operators does a magnificent TV news job, with hours of daily news spread over 3 main English (CBD, ABC and Fox) and one Spanish (Telemundo) channels. Its smaller competitor still does a fairly good job with one English and one Spanish channels. Broadcast TV outdoes the two TV clusters in nearly every area.

Last edited:
Hey! It's Persons 12+ ... but don't let that stop the speculatin'.

WBUF ... one point two. It's getting spanked by WECK (the AM and it's three translators); nosed out by the limp rimshot WLKK which pulled a whopping 1.3, whoo-hoo. And AM 1400 WWWS with a 1.1 share is breathing down the neck of a 70kW FM that belches a format that's neither anti-Edge, neither anti-97 Rock. It's neither fish nor fowl. Neither 92.9.

IF WBUF's Persons 12+ are this weak, can 25-44 and 25-44 be very impressive? You tell me. I'm open. Sure. we get that Townsquare clears its own syndicated morning show, but wow ... one point two (1.2), Monday through Sunday, 6 a.m. to midnight? The format is inching closer to Plate Current Off status every month.

At least WBLK continues to dominate. And WYRK is on the uptick, although still in third place Persons 12+. Nice monthly bump for the country format that once ruled the roost. "

And 97 Rock? Inching up every month. A year ago some posters here were clutching their pearls because the long-time midday guy walked to WECK and the speculation was that 97 would swoon. Didn't happen. So um, WBUF ... ah, never mind. The suits at Townsquare, a digital media company, are happy.

About WECK. Down again. But the thinking from a couple of mavens a few months back is that WECK took a major hit from Wall-to Wall Christmas on "We're not Star" WTSS. The mavens say WECK will rebound next month. Time will tell.

And then there's WEBR and WLVL ... RF flotsam and jetsam that washed up on the AM band. These stations have hit Plate Current Off status ... a while ago.

Somewhat surprising that WHTT had a soft month after rebounding nicely in January. Too much Soft Cell?

WBEN may have staunched the bleeding, up six tenths. MAGAts rejoice!

And WGR ... no surprise. The Bills games are over, and it's now draft speculatin' time and maybe-the-Sabres-make-the-playoffs time.
I don’t see, after looking at past posts, that anyone was clutching pearls when the new mid-day guy walked in WECK. Two things are very interesting as it pertains to this board. In a post a few months ago, 96.1 was nothing. It then went to the only Christmas station in Buffalo and is still clutching a 6 share, something that has not happened in many years. The other thing is with WECK. This 1-KW had a 4.8 share just weeks ago, consecutive with a 4.5 share and 4.3 share. If this is not significant for a locally owned 1-KW, I don’t know what is, yet, hardly anyone on this board mentioned this station when it was at this point. It’s clear this board plays favorites. The stations I am mentioning here have seemingly both altered a bit younger, one doing very well, the other in a rut .

I listened to WTSS today and did not like the music. Seemed very CHR. I have listened to WECK recently and there is a noticeable music change. I did not like this either. With industry cuts, these station most likely do not even have full-time PD’s, so is it faulty programming, or a flawed ratings system? We’ll see

WYRK continues to surprise me. It was #1 for decades, however, given the horrible county music coming out “Jelly Roll”, I don’t see this station getting better.

WBUF and WLKK boggle my mind. What is even the purpose? WBEN… who knows…ask Soros.

WGRF is the best station in the market. It stays true to its roots. WHTT is JACK on steroids.

I love reading the insights on this board. In no other city does it appear there are so many haters.

Rusty, is there a reason you did not add one nice comment about any station. ? You seem to judge, but also seem to have no positive solutions.

Just my opinions. Read some of the major market discussions, they are far more thoughtful

The other thing is with WECK. This 1-KW had a 4.8 share just weeks ago, consecutive with a 4.5 share and 4.3 share. If this is not significant for a locally owned 1-KW, I don’t know what is, yet, hardly anyone on this board mentioned this station when it was at this point. It’s clear this board plays favorites. The stations I am mentioning here have seemingly both altered a bit younger, one doing very well, the other in a rut .
WECK has been discussed constantly here over the years since Buddy bought it. In fact, all who follow the Buffalo section know that the station is not a "1kw AM station" but a collection of translators on FM, where undoubtedly nearly all the listening takes place.

I listened to WTSS today and did not like the music. Seemed very CHR. I have listened to WECK recently and there is a noticeable music change. I did not like this either. With industry cuts, these station most likely do not even have full-time PD’s, so is it faulty programming, or a flawed ratings system? We’ll see

Both stations have PDs. The PD of WTSS posts here from time to time, and he may respond to you.

My take is that WTSS programs mainly to women. If you're not one, you probably don't like it.

WYRK continues to surprise me. It was #1 for decades, however, given the horrible county music coming out “Jelly Roll”, I don’t see this station getting better.

The format is very strong now thanks to Morgan Wallen, Luke Combs, and Thomas Rhett.

Finishing first, second, or third only matters in horse racing. The fact that the station is in the Top 5 means it's getting top dollar, and it's owner has 3 stations in the Top 5, which is very good.

Last edited:
WECK has been discussed constantly here over the years since Buddy bought it. In fact, all who follow the Buffalo section know that the station is not a "1kw AM station" but a collection of translators on FM, where undoubtedly nearly all the listening takes place.
WECK has 3 translators, 100.1, 100.5 and 102.9. The first 2 serve the City and Northtowns, the third is very directional (due to a Canadian co-channel) off the tallest building in Buffalo to the Southtowns. Put together, almost full market coverage, I'd say about 70%.

You are correct. It’s been discussed plenty, but not in a good light. It’s mostly bad. I have never heard of an independent AM in any city that gets a 4.8 share 12plus. Like I said, it is obviously in a rut.

There is a combo of AM with WBER/WLVL. They seem to be locally owned. Why wouldn’t this board be applauding that? It’s a rare thing. In other parts of the country AM barely exists, let alone a success.

I simply made an observation about this board compared to others. It’s just so filled with bitterness. Perhaps it comes from your football team

You are incorrect about this listening. Buffalo is an AM market. I heard most listening on WECK is tilted way to the AM.

I have zero proof, either do you. It’s just what I heard

You are incorrect about this listening. Buffalo is an AM market. I heard most listening on WECK is tilted way to the AM.

I have zero proof, either do you. It’s just what I heard
In every study where I have had a break of the AM vs. comparable translator listening, the FM has had over 80% of the listening. In the case of WECK, with three translators, the amount of FM listening is likely even greater.

On raw numbers, since 2020 Buffalo's commercial station share has been 4:1 FM vs. AM. And since translator listening is credited to the originating station, we can give another significant share to FM, making... in all probability... 80% of commercial listening to FM signals.

In the 25-54 sales demos, there are only around 11 total AM shares. Discount the AMs with translators and over 2/3 of local commercial AM shares got to just one station... which has a sports format.

Buffalo is not an "AM market". It has two AMs with good shares. There are 11 or 12 stations on FM (varies by book) with 2 or more share points in 25-54. There are two AMs that do that.

You are correct. It’s been discussed plenty, but not in a good light. It’s mostly bad. I have never heard of an independent AM in any city that gets a 4.8 share 12plus. Like I said, it is obviously in a rut.
That is because there are very few stand-alone viable signal independent stations, AM or FM, left. You can't make generalizations when the universe under study has almost zero population.

WECK in the last book got a 3.0. It does not have a 4.8 share. In 25-54, it is more like a mid-1 share station.
There is a combo of AM with WBER/WLVL. They seem to be locally owned. Why wouldn’t this board be applauding that?
It has been criticized as not being a viable format. I agree. Locally owned badly programmed stations are, simply, bad stations.
It’s a rare thing. In other parts of the country AM barely exists, let alone a success.
WBER is not a success. WECK is a success due to its FM translators and its owner's good relationships in the business community. The AM is a needed excuse to have the FMs.
I simply made an observation about this board compared to others. It’s just so filled with bitterness. Perhaps it comes from your football team
That's a snarky remark. The fact is, this is one of the more active local market groups on the board and so the things that look peculiar are often commented on.

In every study where I have had a break of the AM vs. comparable translator listening, the FM has had over 80% of the listening. In the case of WECK, with three translators, the amount of FM listening is likely even greater.

On raw numbers, since 2020 Buffalo's commercial station share has been 4:1 FM vs. AM. And since translator listening is credited to the originating station, we can give another significant share to FM, making... in all probability... 80% of commercial listening to FM signals.

In the 25-54 sales demos, there are only around 11 total AM shares. Discount the AMs with translators and over 2/3 of local commercial AM shares got to just one station... which has a sports format.

Buffalo is not an "AM market". It has two AMs with good shares. There are 11 or 12 stations on FM (varies by book) with 2 or more share points in 25-54. There are two AMs that do that.
I read in a trade that Buffalo NY is the best AM market in the entire country. Is that not true? Also, it seems as you believe that 25-54 is the selling sweet spot. If it is, advertisers should not be using radio, tv, or newspaper. None of them these medias are 25-54 year old medias. especially 25-40

It looks like WECK had a 3.0 share in todays Radio Insight. However, it also says 4.8 just 12 weeks ago. A 4.5 and a 4.2 right before that. What changed in 12 weeks?

Unless you believe radio is a younger demo media, why would 25-54 be a great demoto advertise on radio? It seems to me, like tv, and broadcast tv radio is a 45 + demo. Do you not agree with that?

You say Buffalo has 2 AM's with good shares... just weeks ago, wasn't WECK radio just about 1 share from WBEN which has been around for 100 years?

I am simply questioning your reasoning and assumptions. Just does not make complete sense to me.

Mr. Eduardo, I respect your position as moderator and I have read your posts in many markets, and you know your stuff. However, somethings you say do not make sense.

If you look at my earlier post, I never mentioned or talked about boards that were “active”. I wrote about boards that were “bitter”. I can tell you for a fact, any anyone can browse these boards, that I have found no other of these boards more bitter and negative than this Buffalo board.

The other boards discuss, exchange ideas, offer support. All this one does is judge people and stations. I had yet to find more than one or two “ boy, these stations sound great! Spot on! “ On this board everything is criticizing.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to express my thoughts.

If it is, advertisers should not be using radio, tv, or newspaper. None of them these medias are 25-54 year old medias. especially 25-40

Here's the problem for advertisers: A lot of the streaming services are subscription. Sirius music channels are ad-free. A lot of people are willing to pay to avoid advertising. So if advertisers are looking for a medium that accepts advertising, with very detailed demographic information on its users, the best option is radio. Radio delivers people in a very efficient and effective way for advertisers. Some radio companies also offer combination packages with online content as well. While young people may not listen to radio exclusively, they do listen at some time during their week. Chances are good that if they do, they'll hear some advertising.

I have noticed a change here over the years. People once talked about the people on the air and now it's all about the numbers.

Maybe it's because there are so few real PERSONALITIES presenting music on the air. Sure there are good voices cutting perfect tracks that go into the AudioValut or whatever computerized sterilized hit machine there is. It's all just dull.

I read in a trade that Buffalo NY is the best AM market in the entire country. Is that not true?
No, it is not. New York City with WABC, WOR, WINS, WCBS, WFAN and several niche stations have a high share. LA with KLAC, KFI, KNX, and a whole bunch of ethnic stations in Spanish, Chinese, Farsi, and Armenian also do.
Also, it seems as you believe that 25-54 is the selling sweet spot. If it is, advertisers should not be using radio, tv, or newspaper. None of them these medias are 25-54 year old medias. especially 25-40
Ad agency buys as well as the bulk of local direct radio buys are almost totally targeting 25-54 or some subset, such as "English Dominant Hispanic Females 25-44" in markets like LA or Dallas or Miami.

Per an NAB study just two or three months ago based on a large sample of Nielsen markets shows that 89% of persons 25 to 54 use radio weekly.

Singular: medium. Plural: media.
It looks like WECK had a 3.0 share in todays Radio Insight. However, it also says 4.8 just 12 weeks ago. A 4.5 and a 4.2 right before that. What changed in 12 weeks?
Those are three month rolling averages. Things like the Christmas season (the issue in this case) throw off those averages.
Unless you believe radio is a younger demo media, why would 25-54 be a great demoto advertise on radio? It seems to me, like tv, and broadcast tv radio is a 45 + demo. Do you not agree with that?
No, I don't. And neither does Nielsen. And the highest billing music format radio station in the U.S. is KIIS in LA, which is a Top 40 / CHR station that targets women 25-44.
You say Buffalo has 2 AM's with good shares... just weeks ago, wasn't WECK radio just about 1 share from WBEN which has been around for 100 years?
That was what we call a "wobble". As I explained, it was seasonal. That is why ad agencies buy 4, 6, 8 month averages of this kind of station.
I am simply questioning your reasoning and assumptions. Just does not make complete sense to me.
Nor do your unbased arguments. I've been in ownership, and management forr 65 years. What is your radio management experience?

Mr. Eduardo, I respect your position as moderator and I have read your posts in many markets, and you know your stuff. However, somethings you say do not make sense.

If you look at my earlier post, I never mentioned or talked about boards that were “active”. I wrote about boards that were “bitter”. I can tell you for a fact, any anyone can browse these boards, that I have found no other of these boards more bitter and negative than this Buffalo board.

The other boards discuss, exchange ideas, offer support. All this one does is judge people and stations. I had yet to find more than one or two “ boy, these stations sound great! Spot on! “ On this board everything is criticizing.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to express my thoughts.
Actually, Buddy Shula's entrepreneurial spirit has been praised over and over here. What he has done with a batch of translators is quite amazing, and the credit goes to him for being able to sell a demographic that most advertisers firmly reject.

Those stations up at Niagara Falls have been criticized due to their seemingly illogical programming ... just at the owner of the Los Angeles Angels station, Artie Moreno, has been amply criticized for the shallow quality of the programming on his single-station ownership status station, KLAA.

There is generally no "breaking news" about a station that has been in the top tier of ratings and sales for years unless it does something odd, is sold, or management changes. So most posts about legally operating stations tend to be about ones that could do better or which make obvious mistakes or which do something that seems unusual. Example: the recent addition of jingles to a long-established Classic Hits station that had not used them for many years.

Back
Top Bottom