• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMEX?

Bong hits in studio? Wouldn't surprise me.

You're likely correct about getting hired. I imagine there's always someone in the market for low-brow 'talent' to match their station's listener demographics

I don't think so, seeing that they have the distinction for killing a station.

This is a stretch, and it might be just p***ing money away: Find a small piece of useless cheap land near the water, put up one tower for 250 watts, get an FM translator and be an online station playing oldies.

Come to think of it, if they have to move their transmitter site, doesn't that invoke the ratchet rule? Or are they already fully ratcheted? Or did the FCC do away with the rule (there was talk of that)?

I caught a few minutes this morning about 7am on their app for sheets-n-giggles. They were fat-shaming a former morning host with all sorts of personal insults about his appearance, personal grooming habits, eating habits, etc. I do not believe they specifically named who they were talking about, but, it was pretty evident (since I can only recall in the past 2 years one severely overweight male host being a morning host.) The level of unprofessionalism was astounding. I cannot imagine any program director at a serious talk station would give them the time of day.

I listened for a bit. I caught the part you described and also caught the part about the Italian host and the afternoon host who had a "four or five month relationship" which ended in December of 2015. Also caught the part where the other guy called all of us "has been wanna be's" or something to that effect.

Also caught the part where the other guy called all of us "has been wanna be's" or something to that effect.

lol. When it comes to radio, I'll take the "has been wanna be's" in this forum over those two nitwits any day.

kudos to the "blog" making the scoop in the "Ledger" :)

Amen to that.

Is it true that the GM at WMEX was commuting to Boston from Brooklyn, NY?

He's originally from that area so maybe in the early early weeks he did. He's mentioned more than once that he lives in Braintree, in fact one morning I don't remember if it was him or one of the other guys, but someone gave out his home address over the air. Owners didn't want him to mention he was from Brooklyn so he used to say things all the time like "when I lived in Brooklyn, I mean Brookline, Brookline and then he'd relay a story about a restaurant or some other thing in Brooklyn, um Brookline, Brookline! :)

He's originally from that area so maybe in the early early weeks he did. He's mentioned more than once that he lives in Braintree, in fact one morning I don't remember if it was him or one of the other guys, but someone gave out his home address over the air. Owners didn't want him to mention he was from Brooklyn so he used to say things all the time like "when I lived in Brooklyn, I mean Brookline, Brookline and then he'd relay a story about a restaurant or some other thing in Brooklyn, um Brookline, Brookline! :)

On LinkedIn, his only other broadcasting gig appears to be at a little AM in Maryland. Seems to me, they have a lot invested in this, and decided to give up too quickly...much like my earlier post on people who suddenly decide to open a restaurant. Any broker will tell you, dark stations are not worth much. How many people did they have in sales at WMEX?

Seems to me, they have a lot invested in this, and decided to give up too quickly.. Any broker will tell you, dark stations are not worth much.

OK let me offer an opinion in 2 parts.

Assuming they paid cash for it, 175K is chump change.

The issue is revenue .... many of their spots were bartered, and that does not pay the rent, and we will get to the rent in a minute...

So even if they got in for short money, I doubt the ad revenue covered the operating costs... but that, as bad as it is, does not address the big issue.....

THE TRANSMITTER LEASE !

They may have been able to con their way into assuming the last 2 years of the lease or something like that, I'm pretty sure it wasn't an "at will" deal, out with 30 days notice....

But the tower owner either told them no renewal because they didn't want the sticks in the parking lot of their office park.... and the sticks are in the middle of a parking lot, the buildings having been built around them.....

OR

They were having trouble paying the lease as it was ( again rumored to be brutally expensive) and the landlord said See Ya !!, or the people behind the station were not willing or able to personally guarantee the lease should the company default.

20 grand a month ( assumed figure not based in fact) for 20 years is a half a million.

Either way, or any way it went down, they are without a lease, they did not have a backup plan ( where could they go?) and even if they did the engineering studies, applications, the construction of either a phasor or a whole antenna farm it would have taken more than the 2 years they had. That assumes they knew 2 years ago this was going to happen. Now they have a year before they become DWMEX.

That assumes they had the financial backing to pull it off, and that the revenue would recoup the costs.... both very doubtful.

The only viable option was to stay put, and that does not seem to have worked out.

They paid what the station was worth two years ago, with no long term lease in place on the tower.....

Someone might pay 175K for the license.... if they already had a tower farm in place ( Salem?)

But if we are going to take what has been in the press as fact, that they shut the phones off at the studio, it seems to me they are not planning on coming back and they are either walking away, or hoping someone will buy the white elephant.

IMHO the station, dark or operational by those clowns, is worth next to nothing. Being off the air does not have a significant negative impact on the valuation.

(but hey what do I know, I am a has been hack hanging out on a internet forum, I am not a big time radio star, part of the hottest comedy show on Boston radio. Yes I would like fries with that you no talent pompous arse)

Last edited:
Berner indeed was part of an AM in Laurel MD that had libertarian talk etc including Dr K.This spread to WMEX w Dr K and supposedly Dr K had option to buy..he didn't and soon the Laurel station went back to foreign language.
Then Berner's relatives bought MEX

good article. (not that any of you has-beens and this wannabe can understand any of that sci-fi techo-jumbo :p)

I listened to RR for a few minutes this morning and ended up shutting it off. I wonder how John would feel if some guy got on the airwaves and talked about his daughter the way he talked about his former "girl" "friend" this morning.

I'm hoping "Sandy" Shack pops up somewhere and soon. It would be nice if RKO got rid of that crap in the morning and replaced it with "Sandy" or if not the crap in the morning, perhaps the crap that is currently on RKO from noon to three.

I listened to RR for a few minutes this morning and ended up shutting it off. I wonder how John would feel if some guy got on the airwaves and talked about his daughter the way he talked about his former "girl" "friend" this morning.

I'm hoping "Sandy" Shack pops up somewhere and soon. It would be nice if RKO got rid of that crap in the morning and replaced it with "Sandy" or if not the crap in the morning, perhaps the crap that is currently on RKO from noon to three.

Or a show on WBIX or WKOX.

Sandy has one of the most pleasant voices for radio that I've heard, and she does a good job hosting although I really enjoyed her as Howie's sidekick. The "crap in the morning" is OK except for the infomercial-posing-as-show segments that they keep running at 9:30 on a lot of days.

Sandy has one of the most pleasant voices for radio that I've heard, and she does a good job hosting although I really enjoyed her as Howie's sidekick. The "crap in the morning" is OK except for the infomercial-posing-as-show segments that they keep running at 9:30 on a lot of days.

It would be nice if she could do a few fill-ins for Howie when he's recuperating from his 4-day weekends and decides not to show up for his show. Steve Robinson(?) isn't a bad kid but he lacks the depth of knowledge of the area, history, etc., to really host a show with both local and national topics. Sandy's been around the block so she has a lot of the historical knowledge from working with Howie for years, it gives her hosting a lot more "depth" to it. I find I can only listen to the other kid for 30 minutes max (that's 29 minutes longer than the 2 nitwits who were on the WMEX morning drive) before I have to turn the radio to something else. Not that he's a bad kid, just needs a few more years under his belt.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom