• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMEX?

OK let me offer an opinion in 2 parts.

Assuming they paid cash for it, 175K is chump change.

The issue is revenue .... many of their spots were bartered, and that does not pay the rent, and we will get to the rent in a minute...

So even if they got in for short money, I doubt the ad revenue covered the operating costs... but that, as bad as it is, does not address the big issue.....

THE TRANSMITTER LEASE !

They may have been able to con their way into assuming the last 2 years of the lease or something like that, I'm pretty sure it wasn't an "at will" deal, out with 30 days notice....

But the tower owner either told them no renewal because they didn't want the sticks in the parking lot of their office park.... and the sticks are in the middle of a parking lot, the buildings having been built around them.....

OR

They were having trouble paying the lease as it was ( again rumored to be brutally expensive) and the landlord said See Ya !!, or the people behind the station were not willing or able to personally guarantee the lease should the company default.

20 grand a month ( assumed figure not based in fact) for 2 years is a half a million.

Either way, or any way it went down, they are without a lease, they did not have a backup plan ( where could they go?) and even if they did the engineering studies, applications, the construction of either a phasor or a whole antenna farm it would have taken more than the 2 years they had. That assumes they knew 2 years ago this was going to happen. Now they have a year before they become DWMEX.

That assumes they had the financial backing to pull it off, and that the revenue would recoup the costs.... both very doubtful.

The only viable option was to stay put, and that does not seem to have worked out.

They paid what the station was worth two years ago, with no long term lease in place on the tower.....

Someone might pay 175K for the license.... if they already had a tower farm in place ( Salem?)

But if we are going to take what has been in the press as fact, that they shut the phones off at the studio, it seems to me they are not planning on coming back and they are either walking away, or hoping someone will buy the white elephant.

IMHO the station, dark or operational by those clowns, is worth next to nothing. Being off the air does not have a significant negative impact on the valuation.

(but hey what do I know, I am a has been hack hanging out on a internet forum, I am not a big time radio star, part of the hottest comedy show on Boston radio. Yes I would like fries with that you no talent pompous arse)

IMHO you pretty much nailed it.

My understanding is that the tower rent was $50K per month. That is a huge nut. Plus the salaries they were carrying... gotta be at least another $20-30K.

Yeah, they bought it for $175K. But I'm guessing they spent, in 30 months of operations, conservatively, over $2mil. Probably more like $2.5.

And with no discernible plan as to how to generate revenue.

50K a month for the tower site? Seriously? As a person in the tower business for many years now, I find that hard to believe. First of all, I would NEVER buy a directional AM without owning the site. That's a boneheaded move. If you can throw away 50K a month for RENT, then you can afford to build a new site. Come on!

I believe y'all have been waiting for this.

Well so much for the claims ( did Berner ever say that it was sold?) that new ownership was taking over and the format was not decided.

(more BS you don't buy a station without knowing your format or continuing the current format .... unless you are Beasley and someone beats you to the punch...)

Exhibits
Exhibit 1
Description: JUSTIFICATION FOR SUSPENSION OF OPERATIONS

THE LICENSEE' LEASE WITH THE TOWER SITE LANDLORD HAS EXPIRED AND THE 2 PARTIES HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REACH AGREEMENT ON A NEW LEASE. THE LICENSEE IS ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR A NEW TRANSMITTER SITE.

For us civilians, what's a "silent STA"?

Special Temporary Authority... Thus I assume a "Silent STA" is basically asking the FCC to give them permission to stay off the air temporarily w/o losing their license.

(but, I could be wrong, I'm not a "radio professional" like those two nitwits [who were] on in the morning)
<snicker>

Last edited:
Special Temporary Authority... Thus I assume a "Silent STA" is basically asking the FCC to give them permission to stay off the air temporarily w/o losing their license.

(but, I could be wrong, I'm not a "radio professional" like those two nitwits [who were] on in the morning)
<snicker>

Notification of Suspension of Operations / Request for Silent STA (STA meaning Special Temporary Authority)

A licensed station is expected to be on the air, at or near licensed power, from the transmitter location that was authorized .

If after a few days, the station can not get back up and running, they are required to notify the FCC, and permission can be granted to be off the air for up to 6 months.

After the 6 months is up, a renewal is normally allowed for one more 6 month period.

After a year, the FCC can ( and will) delete the license, which will then be prefixed with a D, and the records will reference the call signs as DWMEX.

If a station is in a bind for one reason or another, and is granted a STA, often times they will fire up the transmitter if they can, and broadcast for a short period of time, and then apply for another STA that resets the clock.

The STA also keeps you from getting NAL'd for EAS violations too.

That's all for now ! 73's

Some good thoughts on this by Scott Fybush and the new NorthEastRadioWatch podcast at http://www.fybush.com
(episode zero, 7-10-17). A new WMEX owner faces challenges in dealing with a tower and equipment.

Terrific. A link to a pay site. I am sure Fybush is a nice guy, and I enjoy the tower calendars, but his folksy, cliche' riddled writing style gives me a headache.

I can only guess here, but in the case of my own tower sites, if your lease expires, or you are evicted for non-payment of rent, the "equipment" goes with you once any arrears are paid up. Or, we take ownership of the equipment in place of same. It seems this WMEX story could get rather complicated.

<snicker>

Ahem....radio "stars"...."stars" of "the hottest new comedy show in Boston", and, let's not forget...we are just "has been wannabe's"! :) :) :)

RenRadio on facebook mentions they're on 2 FMs around Fresno and are on "6-10 am and again 10a-2p"..what time zone? Doing shows from Marina Bay this last month only, or producing bits there.
1510wmex dot com still shows the lineup they had pre shutoff.
Someone owns wmex1510 dot com (domain for sale;no content;set to expire in Nov)

Hey! Guess what?

I can pick up the Bohannon show on WTOP 1500AM from Washington clear as a bell tonight with WMEX off the air!

RenRadio on facebook mentions they're on 2 FMs around Fresno and are on "6-10 am and again 10a-2p"..what time zone? Doing shows from Marina Bay this last month only, or producing bits there.
1510wmex dot com still shows the lineup they had pre shutoff.
Someone owns wmex1510 dot com (domain for sale;no content;set to expire in Nov)

Renegade Radio is LIVE today from 6 a to 10 a online and again from 2 p to 6 p in CA on KKDJ in Fresno and KFUN in Hanford.

Their show is not exactly on again from whatever time in CA, these CA stations are music stations and what happens is RR's producer takes the "funniest" bits from their show in the morning and sends them to CA, CA in turn plays these "funny bits" in between playing music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom