• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Versions of Songs, that I'd rather hear

firepoint525 said:
Does anyone still play Flack's version anymore?

Maybe CBS-FM, during their Sunday Night Countdowns..... :)

I'm with you on that one....Fugees version is not that great, even though it made #2 in '96.

I also like both versions of "Hooked on a Feeling". I enjoy Blue Swede's even more though, more upbeat.

Also 1969's "Crimson and Clover" album version, anytime over Joan Jett's version.

The joan jett cover versions (she did a whole Cd of them) should get some airplay on some classic rock stations..which is how I would progam it........just like classic country should program the really close remakes such as Alan Jacksons "Pop a Top", "She Juast Started likeing Cheatin Songs","Who's Cheatin who" and Martina Mcbride also did a whole cd of covers that is amazing..program both the original and the cover for some good variety and separate yourself from the pack...why be the next cookie cutter station.

On that note: "Mercury Blues," Steve Miller Band over Alan Jackson. But Miller's version likely never would have become a hit, mainly because it was a little too "bluesy." Jackson's version worked fine on country radio.

deltas69 said:
just found a great version of G L O R I A...by Santa Esmeralda like it much better than "Them" or Shadows of Knight...
the following is from page 1:
I love "Santa Esmeralda's" version of "g-l-o-r-i-a", equally to the shadows and morrison.
Eric Burdon has paid the ulitimate compliment to Santa Esmeralda by using Their Flamenco version of the intro to "Don't Let Me Be misunderdtood" then reverting back to his original version in his concerts.

Let me Add to my original statement:
Them and SOK versions, already great dance classics, Santa Esmeralda, accentuated the signature Guitar Riff even more.

Probably not many if anyone will agree with me but I prefer the Melanie version of "Ruby Tuesday" over the Stones version.

The song, NO NOT MUCH, was made popular by the FOUR LADS in 1956 and then was redone by the VOGUES in 1969. I prefer the version by SMOKE RING, which I have on a 45, also recorded in 1969. Unfortunately, it wasn't the big hit version. It features an organ and is a soft version of this song. Does anyone remember it?

One I haven't seen mentioned here yet...unless I missed it:

Wedding Bell Blues - Fifth Dimension

over the orignal by Laura Nyro (and I believe she wrote the song, too!)

Marilyn McCoo...wow, just wow ;D ;) :)

Could go either way on "Spooky", either by the Classics IV or Atlanta Rhythm Section, both good versions.

btw, anyone know where I can get the "Another Brick in the Wall" radio version, from early 1980?

Today, you hear the album version with the teacher yelling, after the music is ending, but before the telephone ring tones and the "pheww" at the end. Back in the early 80's, the telephone tones were mixed in, right when the music (electric guitar) was fading, without that quiet gap with the teacher yelling.

The 45 single fades out too early, before the teacher gap.

Played version: Just One Look - Doris Troy; Requested version: Linda Ronstadt

oldies76 said:
btw, anyone know where I can get the "Another Brick in the Wall" radio version, from early 1980?
Today, you hear the album version with the teacher yelling, after the music is ending, but before the telephone ring tones and the "pheww" at the end. Back in the early 80's, the telephone tones were mixed in, right when the music (electric guitar) was fading, without that quiet gap with the teacher yelling.
Is that version on their greatest hits album? The single version has the intro; the album version begins with the scream (from the previous song) which sets off the vocal. The album version doesn't have an intro. Not sure why that was.

If you want a version with the intro, and with the "meat and pudding" bits at the end of it, you might need to create your own edit of that one. That should be fun! 8)

firepoint525 said:
oldies76 said:
Is that version on their greatest hits album? The single version has the intro; the album version begins with the scream (from the previous song) which sets off the vocal. The album version doesn't have an intro. Not sure why that was.

If you want a version with the intro, and with the "meat and pudding" bits at the end of it, you might need to create your own edit of that one. That should be fun! 8)
Korn has a great version of "Another Brick In The Wall"....it's a kinda cool listen to, once in a whlie..

firepoint525 said:

Yeah, it was probably an edit that the stations did back then. Another one is "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder. Had to buy a CD single from Europe somewhere, which is about 3 1/2 minutes long. The album version, from "Key of Life" is over 6 minutes and has the baby crying every so often. Radio has played versions ranging from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes. Never heard the baby version on radio though.

oldies76 said:
Yeah, it was probably an edit that the stations did back then. Another one is "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder. Had to buy a CD single from Europe somewhere, which is about 3 1/2 minutes long. The album version, from "Key of Life" is over 6 minutes and has the baby crying every so often. Radio has played versions ranging from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes. Never heard the baby version on radio though.
Count yourself lucky! I have frequently heard the version with the baby crying. I much prefer the edit with all that gibberish taken out. That one was never commercially released as a single, which might explain your difficulty in finding a single, or even single edit, of it. By the way, that baby crying was Stevie Wonder's then-infant daughter. She must be at least 35-36 years old by now. I'm sure that the "baby crying" version is probably very embarrassing to her now!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom