• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Versions of Songs, that I'd rather hear

radioman148 said:
hornet61 said:
beach boys did an LP "15 big ones" of which included 8 or 9 covers...in the 80's they also did a nice version "California Dreamin'" with leads by al jardin....i don't mean theses are better than the originals, just nice covers.

Beach Boys do some nice covers. Live I've seen them perform "California Dreamin"--pretty good. Their version of "Rock & Roll Music" is also good.
Have you ever heard the Beach Boys version of "I Was Made To Love Her?" I'm not saying it's better than Stevie Wonder's, but it is good.

For what it's worth: On the oldies LP-FM I am programming, we air both versions of "Come Go With Me", the original Del Vikings in our "Early Years" category and the Beach Boys remake from the 70's in our "Oldies Vault" (think: Oh wow, here). I thought the Beach Boys updated version was excellent, both in vocals and production and figured it would give that song an "update", since our station programs music from the 50's to the 80's...

Jason Roberts said:
radioman148 said:
hornet61 said:
beach boys did an LP "15 big ones" of which included 8 or 9 covers...in the 80's they also did a nice version "California Dreamin'" with leads by al jardin....i don't mean theses are better than the originals, just nice covers.

Beach Boys do some nice covers. Live I've seen them perform "California Dreamin"--pretty good. Their version of "Rock & Roll Music" is also good.
Have you ever heard the Beach Boys version of "I Was Made To Love Her?" I'm not saying it's better than Stevie Wonder's, but it is good.

For what it's worth: On the oldies LP-FM I am programming, we air both versions of "Come Go With Me", the original Del Vikings in our "Early Years" category and the Beach Boys remake from the 70's in our "Oldies Vault" (think: Oh wow, here). I thought the Beach Boys updated version was excellent, both in vocals and production and figured it would give that song an "update", since our station programs music from the 50's to the 80's...

The Beach Boys version of "Come Go With Me" is excellent.

Again, advances in production...The Del-Vikings' version was recorded in a DJ's living room, from what I understand.

Back in the early 90's, Huey Lewis & The News did a whole album of covers ("Four Chords And Several Years Ago"). I thought their version of J. J. Jackson's "But It's Alright" stood up pretty well to the original.

Corky Marlowe said:

Again, advances in production...The Del-Vikings' version was recorded in a DJ's living room, from what I understand.

Back in the early 90's, Huey Lewis & The News did a whole album of covers ("Four Chords And Several Years Ago"). I thought their version of J. J. Jackson's "But It's Alright" stood up pretty well to the original.

Kind of like Chuck Berry who recorded "Memphis" on a tape recorder in an office at Chess Records.

the Bathroom at WHIN AM had really good reverb. the room was four feet by three feet and had a 10 foot ceiling and all tile...very nice acoustics...ploppppp...lol..but extremely cold in the winter...no heat...

Corky Marlowe said:

and a great version of "searchin for my baby" - by bobby moore and the rytmn aces.

Little Honda by The Hondells rather than The Beach Boys, Young Love by Sonny James versus Tab Hunter, and the original Come On Feel The Noize by Slade over Quiet Riot.

Another thing that bothers me is when I hear a song that has been altered from the original form. A couple of examples:

Quiet Village/ Martin Denny 1959
Take Five/Dave Brubeck 1961
Crazy/Gnarls Barkley 2003

The first two sounded great when they were released as a 45 RPM record. The album versions were good too. Then, they were made over when CDs came out and do not sound the same.

When I first heard Crazy, I loved it. When I went to buy it, I found versions that sounded like "Live" concert versions.

I wish the producers or artists would demand their diamonds be kept as they were originally recorded.

The Letter by Joe Cocker over The Box Tops. The Beatles version of Baby It's You is pretty good.

KISS, "Rock and Roll All Night," live version over the studio original. I don't even know why the studio version still gets played anymore. The live version was the one that became the hit. (The "unplugged" version, which came out sometime in the '90s, is also great.)

Cheap Trick's "I want you to want me" live version is waaaaay better than the studio version. The studio take hardly gets played, and for good reason. It sounds like a bad demo.

Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" is also better with the longer live version as opposed to the kind of dry-sounding studio release.

Jason Roberts said:
radioman148 said:
hornet61 said:

Kudos that is creative programming..playing both as an orig and an update very,cool idea...it's programming like this that would give the stagnant boiler plate oldies programming(Commercial Radio) of today a fresh appeal boost..

buster2 said:
Cheap Trick's "I want you to want me" live version is waaaaay better than the studio version. The studio take hardly gets played, and for good reason. It sounds like a bad demo.

Speaking of Cheap Trick, off that same live album I always liked their version of "Ain't That A Shame". I can't really compare it to the original because they sound so different from each other.

firepoint525 said:
"Give a Little Bit," Supertramp over Googoo Dolls by a long shot!

Yes! I think it's the vocals that make the difference. The Supertramp version sounds sweeter. Goo Goo Dolls have too much of a cynical sound and vibe to pull off covering a song like this (although it was a big Hot AC hit).

buster2 said:
Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" is also better with the longer live version as opposed to the kind of dry-sounding studio release.
For some reason, our local AC plays that studio version, not sure why, since it never was a single, much less a "hit." They also carry Delilah, and I have heard her play the live version on her program.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom