• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade CBS vs NBC

I think CBS's stance may be that this is a large-scale publicly attended Christmas parade marching down wide-open public streets in the the largest city in the USA and it's accessible to anyone, regardless of who the lead sponsor of that parade might be or which broadcast network has traditionally been the primary carrier. Unless Macy's and/or NBC have some type of exclusivity clauses in place, and unless one or both are paying for the thing hook and sinker (cost of blocking off streets, extra law enforcement, lining up, executing and disbanding the parade, have contracts with all parade units and entrants, etc.) CBS may be well within their bounds to televise it, though their cameras are set up in a different part of town than NBC, they may not show certain entries and the CBS version doesn't come with all the hoopla and performances in front of the Macy's store. For all we know, CBS may have some kind of agreement in place with one of the entities mentioned above that allows them to televise the thing - At minimum they'd most likely need permits from the city?

Last edited:
Now I want to see CBS call it the Macy's parade somewhere along the way next year and see what happens. Maybe Macy's drops turkeys from a helicopter on the CBS booth.
Even if they don’t say “Macy’s Parade” that phrase was on more than one sign or float CBS broadcast so people could see it was the Macys parade

The Tournament of Roses Parade, also on public streets, is an entirely different animal. All outlets have a deal with the T of R, and in recent years the opening ceremony is pooled. In recent years, it's been NBC, ABC, KTLA, HGTV, Hallmark, RFD-TV and Univision. CBS carried it for decades before dropping out, but ABC covered it only once (1966, I believe) before gaining the rights to the Rose Bowl Game in the late 1980s. In theory, I suppose some other outlet could jump in with an unapproved broadcast, a la CBS/Macy's. Way back in the mid-1950s, all seven Los Angeles VHF's covered it. KABC was the first to drop out.

Now I want to see CBS call it the Macy's parade somewhere along the way next year and see what happens. Maybe Macy's drops turkeys from a helicopter on the CBS booth.

That comment reminds me of an episode of the original "WKRP In Cincinnati", first broadcast in November of 1978. In that episode, the fictional radio station the show was set in decided to run a Thanksgiving stunt where they'd drop turkeys from a helicopter, believing they would fly.

But turkeys don't fly, so they dropped to the ground. And newsman Les Nessman (played by Richard Sanders) made an emotional description of the stunt gone wrong, highly reminiscent of real-life news reporter Herbert Morrison's account of the 1937 crash of the dirigible Hindenburg.

A few years ago, I saw an online article (I wish I can recall the website I saw it on) ranking the funniest Thanksgiving episodes in TV history, and the author of that article ranked the 1978 Thanksgiving episode of "WKRP" as the funniest Thanksgiving episode of all time. Having seen it both when it was originally broadcast and again few years ago at a Thanksgiving function my girlfriend and I host for her extended family, I'd have to agree.

(Every year, we host them for a Thanksgiving function in which we have a turkey dinner. After we finish eating and before they leave, we watch a classic half-hour Thanksgiving TV episode together).

Me TV has been showing Turkeys Away around Thanksgiving in recent years, but it WKRP on the regular schedule. The same thing also happens with Cheers and Newhart (80's), and also the Christmas episode of Cheers.

Does Me TV have the rights to these shows and is just sitting on them the rest of the time, or do they have deals for just these certain episodes? I've seen TV Land do the same sort of thing as well.

Would Amazon ever wish to acquire the rights and shut out both NBC and CBS?
It's been explained that the parade is on public roads and that anyone who wants to can televise it, except for the portions specifically staged in front of Macy's. Theoretically, everybody from Amazon to C-SPAN could show at least a bit of the parade if they wanted to. Amazon could not shut out anyone,

You'll have to explain that because I thought it was live. I didn't watch it live because I record everything but also so I can skip over the music.
On the east coast it was live but in the central time zone had to wait to watch it at 9am on NBC but could watch it live at 8am on Peacock

Me TV has been showing Turkeys Away around Thanksgiving in recent years, but it WKRP on the regular schedule. The same thing also happens with Cheers and Newhart (80's), and also the Christmas episode of Cheers.

Does Me TV have the rights to these shows and is just sitting on them the rest of the time, or do they have deals for just these certain episodes? I've seen TV Land do the same sort of thing as well.
It's been my experience that syndicators of shows that had Thanksgiving episodes during their original run will air them on Thanksgiving (same with Halloween or Christmas). The Big Bang Theory double-play in my market featured Thanksgiving episodes for both on Thanksgiving.

I think ME-TVs sister network Decades has the rights to WKRP, so ME-TV borrowed it. They bortowed a few episodes when Howard Hessman died earlier this year.

Would Amazon ever wish to acquire the rights and shut out both NBC and CBS?

Given that Amazon is a retailer, I doubt they'd do it, but Netflix, Apple TV Plus, or Hulu could end up making deals for both Macy's Thanksgiving parade and July 4th fireworks and hire lawyers to find ways to try to shut out rival telecasters.

I don't think that either of the Macy's events (the fireworks or the parade) would end up exclusively on a streaming service. Does anyone seriously think that a streaming service would pay a lot of money for exclusive television rights to a holiday event that is meant to be shown on the day of the event and won't be watched by many people after that day?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom