• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade CBS vs NBC

I don't watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as I prefer to watch NFL Pregame before the Lions Super Bowl Thanksgiving Game.

Which is phony outrage in my eyes those parents are in the minority they support censorship orgs The PTC The Parents Television Censorship Council & The 10 Moms that don't have 1 million members which overinflates the numbers.
Anyone remember a few years back when, during the first hour when NBC typically shows all the numbers from Broadway musicals, the cast of "Kinky Boots" performed a bit, and the Million Moms and other conservative groups collectively lost their minds, because how dare they perform a song that showed women (and a few men) in high-heeled, thigh-high boots in front of their delicate, impressionable children who may be permanently damaged or turned queer by this activity? Never mind that it was part of a Broadway show that had 13 Tony nominations and 6 wins and had permanent residences in Chicago, Toronto and the West End and which toured internationally.

During the pandemic, in order to try and raise funds to assist the staff who normally work on the various theater-based musicals and performances but who found themselves out of work due to the Covid-related shut down, they aired a few Broadway shows on TV and the internet, with a link asking viewers to contribute to an assistance fund. That may be what anotherguyTN is referring to here.
I was referring to streaming.

Parents who want to cocoon their children from the real world for as long as possible certainly pay attention. Some will draw the line at TV-PG, others at TV-14, many at any rating containing the V for Violence. Because, you know, kids shouldn't see things like that.
Somehow I missed this. There are lots of TV-PG programs that are inappropriate for kids. Fortunately, content indicators are added and that usually makes it clear it's not as clean as you might think.

Didn’t CBS used to televise the “best of” from a few different Thanksgiving parades, including segments of the Macy’s parade?
No doubt they did something similar with just the Macy's parade in 2020 by airing segments of past parades

Don't forget Hawaii. For me it just wasn't Thanksgiving without highlights of a Hawaii parade taped months earlier.

I used to go to lunch with my father after the CBS coverage of the Macy's parade. Once I had a way to record the Macy's parade I started recording the NBC coverage and it was a very different experience. CBS, of course, used Columbus Circle, where the entries passed long before they reached the store. NBC, of course, does it at the store, and they show the official start a long way from there, with Broadway performances to fill the time.

I won't see the parade until later today but I skip over all the "music" performed in front of the store. And the Broadway performances have to be the traditional style for me to watch. The Rockettes perform at some point.

And it's now annoying even to watch the rest of the parade because they've changed from traditional background music.
MONTHS earlier?? :) lol

I heard once from somewhere that the 1946 movie "It's A Wonderful Life" was actua;lly shot IN THE SUMMER !!

Try to top THAT :) lol

MONTHS earlier?? :) lol

I heard once from somewhere that the 1946 movie "It's A Wonderful Life" was actua;lly shot IN THE SUMMER !!
So what? Movies are shot months, sometimes a year or more before release. And Christmas music is recorded in July or any other month.

And it can work the other way around. Miracle on 34th Street, considered a Christmas classic, was released to theaters in……June.

So what? Movies are shot months, sometimes a year or more before release. And Christmas music is recorded in July or any other month.

And it can work the other way around. Miracle on 34th Street, considered a Christmas classic, was released to theaters in……June.
Actually, it was released on May 2, 1947.

I had CBS on during the parade. I was only casually watching but I was pretty sure there were Macy's commercials. I also think CBS was calling it the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. I may need to find some where to watch a replay of it for my own curiosity now.

When I've watched it on CBS there may be an incidental flashing of the Macy's logo somewhere, but only NBC can use the Macy's name.

They call it the New York Thanksgiving Day Parade.
No Macy's commercials on CBS either, then? Would language in the Macy's-NBC contract bar Macy's from advertising anywhere else in the parade's time slot? You'd think that Macy's would covet the eyeballs on the other network, wouldn't you? After all, they're the same sort of viewers (and consumers) who are watching the NBC coverage.

I fell asleep watching something on my DVR in the family room Thursday afternoon. When I woke up my Mom has switched to the afternoon rebroadcast of the parade. It seemed to me there wasn't much coverage of the parade. Mainly commercials.

There were about 51 minutes of ads in the three hours on NBC. I only know because I had it on the DVR as well and decided to make a DVD, first taking out the commercials. It took a while!

The whole thing is one big commercial. That's the point. It's been that way for over 50 years.

I mean, what's the first name of the show? Macy's.

Nope.
Now I want to see CBS call it the Macy's parade somewhere along the way next year and see what happens. Maybe Macy's drops turkeys from a helicopter on the CBS booth.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom