• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade CBS vs NBC

NBC has the official rights to the parade, CBS also covers it from a different vantage point. Does CBS have to wait before NBC shows a float first or is it a free for all. CBS never mentions Macys at all.

NBC has been trying to kill the CBS coverage since 1952. They can't because the parade is on a public street, so it's a public event. They can't mention Macy's, nor can they broadcast in front of the store, but beyond that, anything goes.

Frankly, CBS does a much better job.

Didn’t CBS used to televise the “best of” from a few different Thanksgiving parades, including segments of the Macy’s parade?

Didn’t CBS used to televise the “best of” from a few different Thanksgiving parades, including segments of the Macy’s parade?
Yes, but I believe that stopped sometime in the '80s. The other parades were in Philly, Detroit, and Toronto, IIRC. I don't remember why they quit doing them.

Contrary to what a Celtic punk band called The Pogues sang,* the NYPD does not have a choir, but it does have a marching band. They participated in today's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

* = "Fairytale of New York"

Yes, but I believe that stopped sometime in the '80s. The other parades were in Philly, Detroit, and Toronto, IIRC. I don't remember why they quit doing them.
Don't forget Hawaii. For me it just wasn't Thanksgiving without highlights of a Hawaii parade taped months earlier.

I used to go to lunch with my father after the CBS coverage of the Macy's parade. Once I had a way to record the Macy's parade I started recording the NBC coverage and it was a very different experience. CBS, of course, used Columbus Circle, where the entries passed long before they reached the store. NBC, of course, does it at the store, and they show the official start a long way from there, with Broadway performances to fill the time.

I won't see the parade until later today but I skip over all the "music" performed in front of the store. And the Broadway performances have to be the traditional style for me to watch. The Rockettes perform at some point.

And it's now annoying even to watch the rest of the parade because they've changed from traditional background music.

Don't forget Hawaii. For me it just wasn't Thanksgiving without highlights of a Hawaii parade taped months earlier.

I used to go to lunch with my father after the CBS coverage of the Macy's parade. Once I had a way to record the Macy's parade I started recording the NBC coverage and it was a very different experience. CBS, of course, used Columbus Circle, where the entries passed long before they reached the store. NBC, of course, does it at the store, and they show the official start a long way from there, with Broadway performances to fill the time.

I won't see the parade until later today but I skip over all the "music" performed in front of the store. And the Broadway performances have to be the traditional style for me to watch. The Rockettes perform at some point.

And it's now annoying even to watch the rest of the parade because they've changed from traditional background music.
There was a special holiday edition of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition filmed on Knoxville a few years ago. The beneficiary was a home for single Moms trying to get back on their feet. It included the Knoxville Thanksgiving Day Parade.....which doesn't actually exist....but was staged in January or February for the show.

It turned out I recorded the CBS coverage and it was where NBC is. I did this because in recent years charlotte has had its parade at that time and the CBS affiliate has aired the parade for years. At the end of the recording was the NFL game so that meant charlotte's parade was to be shown afterward. I messed up because I had intended to record the parade if it aired early, but the listings showed news after the game. Not anymore. Now I'm recording the parade, which actually happened last night.

Here in Mankato, MN the CBS parade was on an hour earlier than the NBC one ;)
With it being Turkey Day there was no morning news so KEYC carried the CBS Morning show on the live feed from 6-8 (like they do on Saturdays) instead of 7-9 whereas KMNF NBC (co-owned station) carried Today from 7-9 like normal then the parade from 9-12.

I watched the first hour (fast-forwarding through some of it, and I will fast-forward through much more of what is still to come). I was disappointed they didn't have an official start to the parade, but that event was moved to the store itself. Strange. After all, the parade had been going down the street witnessed by thousands for an hour.

The "Funny Girl" musical number was fantastic. She has to get a Tony!

If people like "Sweet Caroline" so much why is Neil Diamond hardly ever heard on radio stations other than the ones I like?

As hard as I tried, I only got to watch so much before it was bedtime.

Dionne Warwick was cut off in the middle. So she's old and her song is boring?

The NYPD band was cut off in the middle. The Macy's singers were cut off in the middle. The Wampanoag, without whom the Pilgrims would have ended up like Roanoke, were cut off in the middle.

It was great to see the Kilgore College Rangerettes again. They used to be a New Year's tradition. I don't recall seeing them at the Macy's Parade but if not, it has been a while since they made annual appearances at the Cotton Bowl Parade that always used to air before the Rose Parade.

And TV-PG-D? Why? Kids were supposed to be able to watch it. I saw kids.

Dionne Warwick was cut off in the middle. So she's old and her song is boring?

The NYPD band was cut off in the middle. The Macy's singers were cut off in the middle. The Wampanoag, without whom the Pilgrims would have ended up like Roanoke, were cut off in the middle.
Mariah Carey was the only non-Broadway act who got to perform her song in its entirety. Of course, she sang "All I Want for Christmas Is You."

Mariah Carey was the only non-Broadway act who got to perform her song in its entirety. Of course, she sang "All I Want for Christmas Is You."
I fast-forwarded through that and all other musical performances after the actual parade started except Dionne Warwick, The Muppets, the Macy's singers, and marching bands.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom