• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Increased Pirate Radio Fines up to Two Million Dollars

The FCC does occasionally request those sorts of documents - they recently did so for a licensee of an AM station in Birmingham which the FCC suspects had falsely filed documents with the commission stating they had resumed broadcasting, but were actually silent.

I sometimes wish the FCC had the authority to see business licenses, property tax records, and (especially) power bills for licensees.
What would a daytimer's power bill look like, if it stayed on all night, every night?

I was just about to question the "property tax" thing, when I suddenly remembered a California shortwave "station" that swore they were on the air and broadcasting, but photos showed no antenna, no structures and not even power lines any place near their licensed location.
I had heard of NDXE, which seemed to be a ruse to sell T-shirts and coffee mugs to DXers, but what was the "station" in California?

I had heard of NDXE, which seemed to be a ruse to sell T-shirts and coffee mugs to DXers, but what was the "station" in California?
I tried to find info on the California station. It was some sort of evangelical thing. Maybe it is in some old WRTH, since I think they had a call sign and license.
The NDXE guy died several years ago.

I tried to find info on the California station. It was some sort of evangelical thing. Maybe it is in some old WRTH, since I think they had a call sign and license.
The NDXE guy died several years ago.
KGEI was a real evangelical station in California but I'm not aware of others

"Running Legal" to keep a station license doesn't require much, just a one hour recorded loop, about 15 or 16 typical tracks, with a TOH ID. One station successfully argued recently that they were on the air based on power company records of power use alone.

I might buy a used FIM-71. I recently bought a used FIM-41 retired by the FCC and replaced by FIM-4100s. Now I can prove what I say about the M-3 Map being inaccurate.

The FIM-71 covers the 2 meter amateur band, and if you have a license, you could "drive the signal" with the FIM-71 to evaluate a site with a transmitter hunt beacon, legally. It's close enough to FM BC to be quite accurate. Just don't broadcast music.

If you are a licensed broadcaster, and you want to put on an experimental booster for instance, the FCC sometimes grants an STA for it. You could apply for a licensed booster and AUX with the same equipment and site, as long as the operational ERP levels, HAAT, and use of each are consistent with all other AUX or booster rules regarding contours. You can run a licensed booster all the time, but their are restrictions on what circumstances and how much you can use an AUX. Those could be 1 watt for the booster, and 20% power for the AUX.

Some of the old "wireless mike" circuits put out a signal far in excess of Part 15 limitations. Back in the day, 1960s plus or minus, nobody cared.

Seems like I read somewhere that Australia will now allow a 1 watt hobby transmitter on certain FM frequencies.

Last edited:
An acquaintance of mine was a neighbor of the late Irby Tallant from the FCC field office in Farmington Hills, MI. He had a CB transmitter with a huge linear amplifier. Irby stopped by his house with his FI measuring equipment one day, and told my acquaintance that he was blowing the top off his meter. He told him to knock it off, but that was it. No fines, no warnings, no actions.

The FIM-71 covers 45-225 MHz, so it covers the 6 meter, 2 meter, and 1 1/4 meter ham bands.

With the M-3 Map so inaccurate, usually way over actual conductivities, many AM stations could probably be considerably over power and survive the FI tests. But if they looked at the power meter, the FCC might be able to prove something. The old style meters could tell the power from the speed of the rotating disk and the Kh and Rr factors. Now, the power companies might let the FCC hack their power usage online. Court order requirements are largely ignored by such agencies these days.

I misspoke. Boosters can be any power up to 20% ERP. AUXs just have to stay inside the protected contour. For some stations, such as WUOM-FM, the AUX ERP exceeds the LIC ERP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom