• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Let’s get back to entertaining, informing and making money

That's actually a consequence of the ownership limits being too lax. In many markets, the ownership limits are such that only two operators can control all the full-market service stations, and a third company is unable to assemble a competitive cluster.

For example, New York, LA and Chicago each have only two significant English language clusters.
I think you missed BigA's point. Anymore, the only groups with cash that are buying radio stations are religious organizations. I can speak from experience having recently sold a full Class C to EMF.

That's actually a consequence of the ownership limits being too lax. In many markets, the ownership limits are such that only two operators can control all the full-market service stations, and a third company is unable to assemble a competitive cluster.

That's the case that Sirius & XM made for their merger. The FCC needs to recognize that there are only a handful of companies interested in owning radio stations. Putting impediments in front of them doesn't benefit the public interest. It just opens the door for more religious non-coms. The other way around it would be to reassess frequency allocations.

That's the case that Sirius & XM made for their merger. The FCC needs to recognize that there are only a handful of companies interested in owning radio stations. Putting impediments in front of them doesn't benefit the public interest. It just opens the door for more religious non-coms. The other way around it would be to reassess frequency allocations.
There certainly cannot be 35 stations in a medium market with 24/7 air staffs. I'm not sure if iHeart owning every commercial signal in the top 200 markets is an answer either.

Let's talk about the insanity of the current ownership system. There are no ownership limits to the number of stations or channels an internet company can own. No ownership limits to the number of channels SiriusXM can own. No ownership limits to the number of record labels that Universal or Sony can own. This is the environment in which radio broadcasters operate. Competition from other media is driving down market shares and ad rates, just as they were in the late 80s and early 90s after Docket 80-90 added hundreds of new stations to the FM dial. Since then, the FCC has added LPFM and AM translators to the band. Yet the ownership rules stay exactly where they were 25 years ago. If that's not insanity, what it? It's no wonder that the only groups interested in buying stations are religious non-coms.
The Docket 80-90 channels were mostly Class A channels that had to compete against 50,000 watt stations. Not all frequencies are created equal. The best frequencies were granted before I was in first grade.

That sounds like it's own business. Start your own agency. You would likely make more money than working for "the man." Act as the intermediary between the client and the station. The sales people know you already. Put some skin in the game.
I have a good friend who did just this. He and his wife own an ad agency in a downtown Chicago skyscraper. He had clients such as Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Today he has some of the best accounts in the USA.

By the way, he made a TV ad about my station. In the ad, he threw a boombox off the Chicago skyscraper. That production won best commercial in the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if iHeart owning every commercial signal in the top 200 markets is an answer either.
Keep in mind that iHeart doesn't have to actually own every signal to get its spots and programming cleared in every market.

The Docket 80-90 channels were mostly Class A channels that had to compete against 50,000 watt stations. Not all frequencies are created equal. The best frequencies were granted before I was in first grade.

The funny thing is I can name off a bunch of Class As that are beating the 50K heritage stations. People don't listen to signals.

I think you missed BigA's point.
Nope, the point was (partly) wrong.

The reality is that the number of signals in any market has shrunk considerably in the last 10-20 years, with the total death of AM in most markets, and more signals converting to non-commercial operation. But the market caps have not kept up with that reality.

Anymore, the only groups with cash that are buying radio stations are religious organizations.
I agree with this, and I think there is a second reason in cases like yours: small market radio is a very tough business, even if you do have some scale and some heritage. If you have neither, forget it.

Put another way: no one in entrepreneurship circles is telling their buddies to buy a radio station in Haughton, Michigan or Athens, Ohio as a way to get rich.

Nope, the point was (partly) wrong.

The reality is that the number of signals in any market has shrunk considerably in the last 10-20 years, with the total death of AM in most markets, and more signals converting to non-commercial operation. But the market caps have not kept up with that reality.

If AM is dead, then it should be removed from ownership caps.

Just because a signal converts to non-commercial doesn't mean that signal has gone away. Your statement ignores all of the LPFMs and translators that have been added to the dial in the last ten years. Plus radio users see radio as both on-air and online. An entire generation has grown up with lots of options. But the FCC ownership rules have stayed the same. In the meantime, advertisers are looking for the best and most cost efficient way to reach customers. Radio can compete if its not hamstrung by ownership rules.

If AM is dead, then it should be removed from ownership caps.
Agreed. The limit in the largest markets should be changed from "8 signals, no more than 5 of which on any band" to "5 signals." Presumably everyone would keep their FMs.

Just because a signal converts to non-commercial doesn't mean that signal has gone away.
From the point of view of an entrepreneur wanting to acquire a cluster in New York, WPLJ doesn't exist any more than WNYE exists.

Your statement ignores all of the LPFMs and translators that have been added to the dial in the last ten years.
I am 100% in favor of repealing the Local Community Radio Act. Maybe I should write my congressperson.

Plus radio users see radio as both on-air and online. An entire generation has grown up with lots of options.
That's a good point. iHeart and Audacy already have an infinite number of stations, they just have to rely on streaming and HD subchannels to distribute them.

Agreed. The limit in the largest markets should be changed from "8 signals, no more than 5 of which on any band" to "5 signals." Presumably everyone would keep their FMs.

That won't help solve the problem. As I said, the FCC created the problem. They need to fix it.
From the point of view of an entrepreneur wanting to acquire a cluster in New York, WPLJ doesn't exist any more than WNYE exists

There are no entrepreneurs wanting to acquire clusters anywhere. That's why all of these stations are being bought by EMF. The more limits you impose on broadcasters, the more the FM band goes religious. There are more of them than there are of us, and they have deeper pockets.
That's a good point. iHeart and Audacy already have an infinite number of stations, they just have to rely on streaming and HD subchannels to distribute them.

They're heading in that direction. Both own their own streaming platforms.

What's done is done.

What's won is won.

What's lost is lost

And gone forever.

The Docket 80-90 channels were mostly Class A channels that had to compete against 50,000 watt stations.
Not really.

The source of Docket 80-90 was the application of a Class A between Naples and Fort Myers to upgrade to a full C. They got a dozen applications against them and lost the station in the process.

That forced the FCC to review station upgrades and relocations. The result was 80-90 which allowed stations to move and upgrade as well as to force existing stations to be reallocated to fit in new allocations.. The result was a huge number of new stations, plus even more moves and upgrades, making markets like Phoenix and Austin literally double in full power FMs.
Not all frequencies are created equal. The best frequencies were granted before I was in first grade.
That may apply to AM, not to FM.

And then the AMs will decay or all become religious. Or serve as the "license getter" for translators.
From the point of view of an entrepreneur wanting to acquire a cluster in New York, WPLJ doesn't exist any more than WNYE exists.
There are, historically, no entrepreneurs in industries in decline. What you find are scavengers.

For example, New York, LA and Chicago each have only two significant English language clusters.
Yet there are three strong groups, Univision, SBS and Meruelo, serving ethnic and specialty audiences. And even an independent broadcaster with the market's country station.

You can't leave out non-English language stations in an evaluation of a market that in 18-49 and 25-54 is more than 50% Hispanic and where less than 25% are non-Hispanic white native English speaking persons. The market sustains over a dozen stations that are not in English or Spanish, too.

We saw the writing on the wall in the 1990's. The internet and a digital world would take over. We could have established HD and headed it off. But we failed to keep up with the times. We broadcasters have ourselves to blame.

We saw the writing on the wall in the 1990's. The internet and a digital world would take over. We could have established HD and headed it off. But we failed to keep up with the times. We broadcasters have ourselves to blame.
HD all along was a mistaken solution to broadcaster fears of "digital", not the Internet. HD began development around the time that CDs... digital, get it?... were first marketed. Broadcasters supported it because they saw "digital" to be a big buzzword with consumers. And they saw the early work to create satellite radio, also digital.

Broadcasters introduced HD around the time Apple brought out the first iPod. They had no idea that streaming, not "digital" would become the dominant competition in a few more years.

HD was the answer to a problem that never matured. In the early years, it was only available satisfactorily in cars, and there were no portable devices at all. Today, its main use is to allow owners to have one or more translators which don't apply to ownership caps.

I agree with this, and I think there is a second reason in cases like yours: small market radio is a very tough business, even if you do have some scale and some heritage. If you have neither, forget it.
Actually we had both. The recently departed Class C was originally licensed in the late 70's, moved and upgraded to a better site and taller tower in the mid-80's when my partner and I took over. The station was licensed to a small community of about 12,000, but the coverage pop count was closer to 240,000, essentially covering half of an entire state. We also leased translators in some larger fringe-coverage communities.

Among the challenges, this particular station covered dozens of smallish towns/cities spread over several hundred road miles. Sales folks were on the road constantly renewing contracts, because as b-turner has said before; it's essential to retain the personal touch/relationships with clients. Around the 2007-2008 recession, those same businesses in the areas that were regular clients for years were closing or consolidating. More and more advertising was going on line, because that's where younger consumers were thought to be. The bottom fell out of any hope of growth. If anything, growth was going negative. Estimated value of the station based on cash flow and stick value went from $5,000,000 in 2004, to $250,000 in 2008.

And no, none of this had to do with 'ratings' or how popular the programming was, or wasn't. The station went on the air as AOR, eventually migrating to Classic Hits, maintaining it's popularity right to the end.
Put another way: no one in entrepreneurship circles is telling their buddies to buy a radio station in Haughton, Michigan or Athens, Ohio as a way to get rich.
That's true. Besides, even if one was bold (dumb) enough to start from scratch, these days try getting financing to purchase radio properties.

Among the challenges, this particular station covered dozens of smallish towns/cities spread over several hundred road miles. Sales folks were on the road constantly renewing contracts, because as b-turner has said before; it's essential to retain the personal touch/relationships with clients. Around the 2007-2008 recession, those same businesses in the areas that were regular clients for years were closing or consolidating. More and more advertising was going on line, because that's where younger consumers were thought to be. The bottom fell out of any hope of growth. If anything, growth was going negative. Estimated value of the station based on cash flow and stick value went from $5,000,000 in 2004, to $250,000 in 2008.
$5 million to 250,000 in four years is sobering to say the least.

I am 100% in favor of repealing the Local Community Radio Act. Maybe I should write my congressperson.

Actually the Local Community Radio Act was a sell out to the translator invasion and bad for LPFM. That's what you get when politicians make FCC Rules instead of the FCC.

My experience in commercial radio was a bit different from Kelly's. In the early 1980's, I asked the FCC to allocate a new FM channel to Delphi Indiana. It was a town where my family had roots going back to 1825. But when the Delphi channel came up for application 3 groups applied against me and it went up for hearing at the FCC. I was pissed. These other guys didn't even want Delphi. They wanted to use the frequency to serve larger towns nearby.

There were about 25 more undiscovered channels in Indiana that I knew about. So I started dropping them onto the table of allotments. I was going to keep doing this until I got a CP. I thought the competing Delphi applicants needed stations in their own towns and I put channels in their towns.
I put 106.7 in West Lafayette and I persuaded the president of Purdue University that Purdue needed 101.3 FM.

I just wanted to own a radio station and I would have been happy with just one. But the FCC awarded me 3 construction permits. Two of them were near Lafayette Indiana. The third one was ten miles out of Indianapolis.

During the daytime my stations were eclectic and sold commercials. At night I did the community radio thing with guest DJ's from the community. We did lots of community events and found sponsors to pay the bills.

At the same time, I became the first legally blind person in my state to get a drivers license. That made national news.

I was in commercial radio for 15 years and I worked 7 days a week. I was tied like a dog on a chain to my businesses.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom