• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Let’s get back to entertaining, informing and making money

Most of the large national radio “operators” are really just debt servicing companies. Most have positive EBDITA’s but are addicted to debt. A story I heard in the early 1970’s, when they started de regulation was the goal was to have radio stations like gas stations “one on every corner”. One shuts down no a big deal.

I propose there should be a date at least two years from now where FCC Radio licenses are no longer collateral for loans. Two years should be enough for Audacy to go bankrupt (or restructures) to make it “even” with iHeart and Cumulus and several others chains that screwed their shareholders.

After that date, if a station “financially fails”, an automatic STA to stop broadcasting is issued, except LMAed stations independent from the failed organization. The LMA operator will be allowed to operate under the existing terms for 110 days if unless it is dependent upon a failed operator’s HD channel to operate legally. A legal notice shall be published in any newspaper of record within 25 miles of the transmitter tower for an auction. Any interference agreements between stations are still in effect. Each license will be put up for auction on the FCC website to be sold to the highest bidder after ninety days as a 3-year construction permit and existing call letters for FMs and 4 years for AM’s. No time extensions. The winning bidder will have 10 business days to get the funds to the FCC. The winning bidder will have to be able to pass any FCC ownership requirements. The winning bid has to operate the station for 3 years after the license to cover the CP is issued. The station cannot be LMAed for 2 years after the license to cover is issued. The minimum bid will be any FCC fees due and music royalties if any due. Employee back salaries will be the responsibility of the defunct station. They are usually the first ones paid when a corporation fails. All auctioned FM stations licensee’s service contours are “protected” from any downgrading for 6 years except AM. This is to keep “local” service. 6 years after auction a former “failed” station it can be bought by another station modified or shut down to improve the existing station’s coverage. AM signals with FM translators can downgrade their AM service but must keep the FM translator at least 90 % of its current coverage. Leased translators go back to the owners. If no one bids on a station it goes into “finders” pool where unloved stations go to the first bidder that clams it. If no one claims a station for 12 months it is deleted and the commission can make it part of a new allocation sometime in the future.

If an LMA station is part of a failure, and the operator is independent from the failed owner, the LMA operator will have the right run the station under existing leases and terms for 110 days. They also have the right match any winning bid for their station within 10 days of the auction. Payment will be due in 10 days after agreeing to match the bid. If the LMA operator chooses to buy the station, he / she will be issued a construction permit with the same FCC restrictions and conditions as any other winning bid.

No land or equipment is part of the auction. The new licensee will have to buy or lease land and equipment necessary to run the station. If they can work a deal with the failed broadcaster for either land or equipment that would be OK.

This might seem harsh but the FCC is supposed to be stewards of the rf spectrum for the American citizens. I feel if this was adopted, it would open the door for a different group of people owning stations. The operators might even be local person. The three-year mandatory ownership running the station after it is back on the air should keep out the speculators. It would establish a “real” station worth. The commission would get all of the bid money except for back music licensee fees.

IMHO except for the sales function, local broadcasting doesn’t require tons of capitol or people. Billing, commercial logs and scheduling are mostly a PC deal. You can satellite, VT, or syndicate programing. Most modern transmitting plants do not require daily work. Hopefully you have a person or two that’s busy creating commercials for local clients.

Most of the large national radio “operators” are really just debt servicing companies. Most have positive EBDITA’s but are addicted to debt. A story I heard in the early 1970’s, when they started de regulation was the goal was to have radio stations like gas stations “one on every corner”. One shuts down no a big deal.

I propose there should be a date at least two years from now where FCC Radio licenses are no longer collateral for loans. Two years should be enough for Audacy to go bankrupt (or restructures) to make it “even” with iHeart and Cumulus and several others chains that screwed their shareholders.

After that date, if a station “financially fails”, an automatic STA to stop broadcasting is issued, except LMAed stations independent from the failed organization. The LMA operator will be allowed to operate under the existing terms for 110 days if unless it is dependent upon a failed operator’s HD channel to operate legally. A legal notice shall be published in any newspaper of record within 25 miles of the transmitter tower for an auction. Any interference agreements between stations are still in effect. Each license will be put up for auction on the FCC website to be sold to the highest bidder after ninety days as a 3-year construction permit and existing call letters for FMs and 4 years for AM’s. No time extensions. The winning bidder will have 10 business days to get the funds to the FCC. The winning bidder will have to be able to pass any FCC ownership requirements. The winning bid has to operate the station for 3 years after the license to cover the CP is issued. The station cannot be LMAed for 2 years after the license to cover is issued. The minimum bid will be any FCC fees due and music royalties if any due. Employee back salaries will be the responsibility of the defunct station. They are usually the first ones paid when a corporation fails. All auctioned FM stations licensee’s service contours are “protected” from any downgrading for 6 years except AM. This is to keep “local” service. 6 years after auction a former “failed” station it can be bought by another station modified or shut down to improve the existing station’s coverage. AM signals with FM translators can downgrade their AM service but must keep the FM translator at least 90 % of its current coverage. Leased translators go back to the owners. If no one bids on a station it goes into “finders” pool where unloved stations go to the first bidder that clams it. If no one claims a station for 12 months it is deleted and the commission can make it part of a new allocation sometime in the future.

If an LMA station is part of a failure, and the operator is independent from the failed owner, the LMA operator will have the right run the station under existing leases and terms for 110 days. They also have the right match any winning bid for their station within 10 days of the auction. Payment will be due in 10 days after agreeing to match the bid. If the LMA operator chooses to buy the station, he / she will be issued a construction permit with the same FCC restrictions and conditions as any other winning bid.

No land or equipment is part of the auction. The new licensee will have to buy or lease land and equipment necessary to run the station. If they can work a deal with the failed broadcaster for either land or equipment that would be OK.

This might seem harsh but the FCC is supposed to be stewards of the rf spectrum for the American citizens. I feel if this was adopted, it would open the door for a different group of people owning stations. The operators might even be local person. The three-year mandatory ownership running the station after it is back on the air should keep out the speculators. It would establish a “real” station worth. The commission would get all of the bid money except for back music licensee fees.

IMHO except for the sales function, local broadcasting doesn’t require tons of capitol or people. Billing, commercial logs and scheduling are mostly a PC deal. You can satellite, VT, or syndicate programing. Most modern transmitting plants do not require daily work. Hopefully you have a person or two that’s busy creating commercials for local clients.
I was with you up until the last paragraph. If we're getting debt out of the way of broadcasters, then isn't that our opportunity for radio stations to once again employ people in their communities and provide local programming that actually serves their cities of license?

If we allow these stations to simply change hands and be run as cheaply as possible, all we're doing is removing debt as the excuse for doing so.

Putting aside the legal implications....

The biggest problem is the immediate license suspension if a station "financially fails." That puts the next owner in a big hole, because there will be no revenue and no staff remaining after 90 days. Even if we assume the new owner won't have to wait for a new tower to be approved and erected, 90 days is plenty of time for the public to get out of the habit of tuning to Galesburg's home town radio station -- and any cachet the airstaff had with the public or the sales staff had with the business community would be gone.

I think this would end up leading to a huge increase in LMAs, so that the licensee corporation could act as an "operator of last resort" if the lessee became insolvent.

I feel if this was adopted, it would open the door for a different group of people owning stations. The operators might even be local person.

Who are these people? Why haven't they stepped forward when the opportunities have presented themselves before, such as when Cumulus sold off a bunch of former ABC radio stations? Such as when ESPN was looking for a buyer for KESN in Dallas?

You're proposing that the FCC basically break it's deal made with radio stations as established by congress in the Communications Act of 1934. Nowhere in there does it give the FCC the authority to do what you propose. It would lead to countless lawsuits by radio owners against an agency that is meant only to regulate, not operate. It could even be seen as unconstitutional, breaking the first amendment.

This is a crazy idea and really has no chance of happening. If new people wish to own stations, they can go through the same process everyone else has gone through. Not wait for the big federal government to act with "eminent domain" over private business. The rally cry would be "Don't Tread On Me!"

What you're proposing is to turn over the rest of the radio band to companies like EMF, who simply operate stations without any local staff or facility. Just a PC in a transmitter shack. How is that an improvement?

You exaggerate the levity of costs.

(Others have detailed the lack of practicality and the legal aspects of this undoable idea)

While there is software for billing and commercial scheduling and bookkeeping, you need at least one qualified person to do that, including things like make-goods and urgent changes of copy and the like.

Someone has to do production. Voices can bed hired on a fee basis, but you need a person to do all the work involved with dubbing spots and changing seasonal copy, sale events, etc.

There has to be a manager who can likely be the main seller. And you need a contract engineer on call for emergencies and maintenance.

You also need a CPA to do annual balance sheets and tax returns or you'll get audited often.

Towers need maintenance and painting. Studios pay either rent or property taxes. You have to have insurance for casualty and liability as well as paying music licenses. There is phone and web connection, including the studio to transmitter connections.

You'll want to be a member of the Chamber of Commerce and be part of other community groups. You have trade magazine subscriptions, a water bill, trash collection, city and state business licenses or fees. You will have postage and FedEx and UPS accounts for documents that need to be sent urgently. You will have a collection agency to work on bad debts. Still needed are business forms, like blank invoices... and of course a number of computers for business and programming use and printers for things that can't be done in a PDF. Add in software that has annual or monthly fees, like accounting, traffic and music scheduling.

Toilet paper and towels. Pest control. Even a coffee machine and supplies for it.

It ain't as cheap as you think, and the turn-around needs capital... count on a year's worth of expenses before you even break even and that could be $150,000 to $250,000 even in a small market.

Yes, I have owned stations... at one point a dozen of them. Recently, I was in a position to buy a handful of stations in three different markets with a value of about $35 million between loans and the required personal capital to get a loan. The stations were mostly profitable. I thought it over, and realized that if I invested my own money in stocks and bonds, after 5 years I'd have spent 15,000 hours working all hours of the day and probably have less income than I'd have with mutual funds.

Anyone taking on what you propose is either very wealthy or really stupid.

One of the definitions of insanity is repeating an action and expecting different results. The stock price of the “big three” has not made any average investor rich.* No dividends lately. If you want to buy a station or cluster from one of the major broadcasters, they want you to pay more than 3 times gross billings because of their debt. I will admit the automatic STA is harsh but the new owner most likely will flip the station. If the programing was that good they shouldn’t be in bankruptcy to start with. From my experience in sales it will be hard to start over again. There will be disruption but the “seeds were sowed” when the stations were leveraged to unsustainable levels years ago.

Is there a better idea? Please share. This is a discussion board. Somehow corporate management needs to concentrate programing and sales rather than how are we going to pay the next debt due that is a multiple of the cash on hand. IMHO the financial issues are not helping the industry already dealing with the “new media” challenge.

What the two up to four-year wait would do make the debt holders realize they have to work with the broadcaster. If they push a broadcaster into Bankruptcy, they will lose a large part of their collateral. The broadcaster should realize if they don’t come up with a realistic debt service plan, they lose everything too. They have the 2 years to work something out. Hopefully a lot of debt will end up equity. It could be 3 or 4 years if two years is too short but you can’t treat an addict but giving them more dope (debt).

If seems too harsh then let the existing stations have one more Bankruptcy but after that if they are subjected loss of license. Any “new” licenses for sales (not counting the bankruptcy trustee for the Grandfathered stations) issued after the date you sign an agreement with the FCC stating you know the conditions of you FCC licenses. No one is forcing you to buy a station. The FCC has conditions for ownership now. Drug convictions and Federal Felonries can put your license in jeopardy, IIRC FCC licenses were written to “serve” and area. There is no profit guarantee.

Compared to the 1970’s there is really no on air staff now. Voice tracking allows you to have “talent” at a discounted price. I personally have heard some really good VT’s that are effective. You would hope that your sales folks keep the production person busy. Having to hire an extra production person because there are too many commercials for one person to keep up with would be good problem. There are stations that survive on $25k a month and still make a profit. These stations don’t have debt eating up their EBDITA.

If this causes more LMA stations that would deconcentrate programing and give the listeners another choice. That might not be that bad.

The key to make this work:
Lenders and operators cooperate.
The bids for failed stations will require some market research. What can an ESB signal bill? What is a C1 in Macon GA. capable of billing. The local sale people might have an "inside track" on station values. I know I would seriously consider having a couple as part of my ownership team.

*Professional traders can make money only any stock that varies up or down more than 10% monthly. It really helps if the stock stays above $20.00.

Full disclaimer: I made money off of the Citadel crash with put options.

Is there a better idea? Please share.

You started a thread with an illegal and unjustified over-reach of governmental power. If you want to propose that the FCC create a regulation that radio owners can't operate with a certain level of debt, that might be a way to start. Because there are no FCC financial requirements to own a radio station. It's perfectly legal for radio company to have $5 billion in debt or its stock price is 30 cents. You apparently believe that's a bad thing. But it's perfectly legal.

Same with staffing. You seem to want the government to force stations to have a certain level of local talent. There is nothing in the FCC regulations that requiring such staffing. You also believe that stations were fully staffed in the 70s. I can give you examples of where that was not the case.

I can give you examples of how companies with billions in debt are doing great award-winning radio, and companies that have no debt are doing radio with no staff and no local programming. The two things are unrelated. So your premise is totally invalid as far as I'm concerned.

No one is forcing you to buy a station. The FCC has conditions for ownership now. Drug convictions and Federal Felonries can put your license in jeopardy, IIRC FCC licenses were written to “serve” and area. There is no profit guarantee.
This. Whether a company is in debt or not is irrelevant. As TheBigA said, there are companies with billions in debt who are doing great radio, and debt-free ones that aren't.

The issue isn't money, it's whether the responsibility to serve the community (a moving target over the decades) is being met. Period.

Whether a company is in debt or not is irrelevant. As TheBigA said, there are companies with billions in debt who are doing great radio, and debt-free ones that aren't.

What the OP ignores is we have very profitable companies such as Amazon and Facebook that are laying off thousands of staff right now. This isn't strictly a radio problem. This is a worldwide economic problem. Amazon's stock has lost half of its value. Should the government come in and turn the company over to someone else? That seems to be what the OP wants.

The problem unique to radio is that the only revenue stream it has is advertising, and we're currently in an advertising hole. If anyone can come up with a way to fix that, let me know. But penalizing radio companies for things unrelated to radio is wrong.

Is there a better idea? Please share. This is a discussion board. Somehow corporate management needs to concentrate programing and sales rather than how are we going to pay the next debt due that is a multiple of the cash on hand. IMHO the financial issues are not helping the industry already dealing with the “new media” challenge.
Yes, this is pretty elementary. If you're paying bondholders millions of dollars a month, that's millions of dollars you can't invest back into the company.

We recently read of the bankruptcy auction of Rocking M Media in Kansas. Several of the stations were purchased in the auction for less than $50,000. Four Operators To Split 12 Stations Auctioned Off By Rocking M Media - RadioInsight

So to some extent, the market is making licenses something that can't be collateral for a loan, simply because the license by itself isn't worth much. If a station is profitable, it is the ongoing business which is valuable, not the license per se.

Yes, this is pretty elementary. If you're paying bondholders millions of dollars a month, that's millions of dollars you can't invest back into the company.

And yet ALL THREE companies, iHeart, Cumulus, and Audacy, have in fact invested millions of dollars back into their companies in "new media" areas not limited to podcasts, streaming, and other digital businesses, proving they can walk and chew gum at the same time. Factually speaking, the three companies in question have invested more in new media than most of the other less financially challenged companies. This is what I meant in my previous post. There is an assumption being made that these companies are very linear in their structure, and that IF they have to pay off debt, they can't do anything else, and that's false. iHeart demonstrated very clearly before their bankruptcy that none of the money saved by laying off staff was ever applied to paying off their debt. The size of the debt remained unchanged regardless of the status of their staffing situation. Station operations are separate from corporate debt. When stations lay off staff, it's because of shortages in their revenue, not because of a change in the corporate debt.

Most of the broadcast companies don't use bonds to finance; they use lenders ranging from banks to private financial institutions that even include things like state and city retirement funds and the like. Simply expressed, they are just "loans".

The OP's proposal would cause thousands of stations to go off the air. One thing the FCC does not want are communities deprived of service. We all may now that the station licensed to West Podunk is really a move in to Bigtown, but as far as the FCC is concerned, West Podunk is a town that deserves service.

In Knoxville, TN, there was recently a cluster of 2 Class C and 2 Class A FMs for sale. Did the richest guy in town buy them? No, he's building a baseball stadium. So Summit bought them.

In Knoxville, TN, there was recently a cluster of 2 Class C and 2 Class A FMs for sale. Did the richest guy in town buy them? No, he's building a baseball stadium. So Summit bought them.
Good example. People with money aren't interested in buying pure-play radio anymore due to lack of growth potential. Same reason many lenders won't lend to purchase radio stations anymore, unless one is willing to put their personal assets up as collateral.
It's pretty clear the OP has never owned broadcast properties, let alone been in a management role to understand how the business works.

People with money aren't interested in buying pure-play radio anymore due to lack of growth potential.

The problem is a lot of posters here have exaggerated memories of how things used to be in radio. Perhaps a company like Cox always had lots of money and had lots of staff. They had multiple revenue streams from the newspapers, TV and radio. They could schedule 24/7 engineers in the WSB transmitter building and have a full staff of reporters to cover local news. That was more the exception to the rule. Stations started economizing with engineers and reporters in the 1970s when the regulations started to change. That was 50 years ago!!

Debt in broadcasting isn't something new. The companies I worked with were always in debt. That's a fact of life in business. Leonard Goldenson revealed in his book that ABC was close to bankruptcy in the 1960s, caused by the expense of converting the network and the stations to color. At this time, ABC Radio was #1! Nobody knew how bad things were until Goldenson wrote about it in his book.

Someone has to do production. Voices can bed hired on a fee basis, but you need a person to do all the work involved with dubbing spots and changing seasonal copy, sale events, etc.
Hopefully you have a person or two that’s busy creating commercials for local clients.

Ah, something I know a little bit about. Short answer? This job is not nearly as necessary as you might think. As I was being escorted out of my last radio job (I was a long time production director), the sales team was being introduced to the new model, where spots would be produced and loaded into the system by folks in the nearest big production "hub" in Los Angeles. I was not replaced with a better or cheaper local production director. They simply eliminated the local production director position company-wide.

Ah, something I know a little bit about. Short answer? This job is not nearly as necessary as you might think. As I was being escorted out of my last radio job (I was a long time production director), the sales team was being introduced to the new model, where spots would be produced and loaded into the system by folks in the nearest big production "hub" in Los Angeles. I was not replaced with a better or cheaper local production director. They simply eliminated the local production director position company-wide.
Yes, but the discussion was focused on new "independent" owners, and my assumption is that there was no "corporate production center" attached to a single station.

Yes, but the discussion was focused on new "independent" owners, and my assumption is that there was no "corporate production center" attached to a single station.
Yet you would agree that the "corporate production center" is the way to go, right? I mean...why does a radio station need local talent?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom