• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

107.9 Sacramento

Iheart has the "True Oldies" format that's in a number of their markets. That would be great for an HD2 and translator. It's mostly 60's and 70's. Sort of like the old K108 which I remember played music from those two decades.
Are you sure you don't mean Real Oldies, a format that plays 60s and 70s hits?

I believe stations like WDIZ, WSAN, and WZCR carry the Real Oldies feed.

Totally Random Radio is what the website says. Home of the Train Wreck is more accurate. The playlist is just a really bad jukebox. Billy Joel followed by Incubus? Whatever "research" they used was a waste of money...
If KITS fail to place an emphasis on Old Time Rock And Roll, Don't Stop Believin', Sweet Home Alabama, or Carry On Wayward Son, they won't overtake KOIT. And forget being #1.

That's business for you! ;)

I know this is the 107.9 Sacramento thread. But since we have several posts about KITS, let's remember the Adult Hits format is about train wreck segues. KITS is an Audacy station and Audacy knows very well how to program Adult Hits. Not only does Audacy have three Jack FM stations (LA, Dallas, Minneapolis) but its other Adult Hits stations are basically copies of Jack FM without paying the Jack FM fee.

Listen to KKHH Houston and WBGB Boston. They have virtually the same playlists and same quips between songs, except the voice is slightly different, not Howard Kagan. I'm sure KITS is just playing what KKHH and WBGB play. Other than KCBS-FM leaning a bit more to 80s/90s New Wave/Modern Rock (although they all play a lot of early MTV hits) all the Audacy Adult Hits stations sound the same to me.

And since this is the 107.9 Sacramento thread, iHeart should also consider a Jack FM-like format as well. iHeart owns several Jack FM stations (Seattle, Baltimore and a Kansas City translator) and numerous Jack imitators.

But probably the more logical choice is Classic Hits. Sacramento is one of the largest markets with no Classic Hits station.

I wouldn’t rule out classic hits, but Adult Hits is probably a no. IHeart flipped 93.7 from Jack FM to classic rock several years ago.

Don’t forget KCCL Woodland covers most of the market with classic hits.

I know this is the 107.9 Sacramento thread. But since we have several posts about KITS, let's remember the Adult Hits format is about train wreck segues. KITS is an Audacy station and Audacy knows very well how to program Adult Hits. Not only does Audacy have three Jack FM stations (LA, Dallas, Minneapolis) but its other Adult Hits stations are basically copies of Jack FM without paying the Jack FM fee.

Listen to KKHH Houston and WBGB Boston. They have virtually the same playlists and same quips between songs, except the voice is slightly different, not Howard Kagan. I'm sure KITS is just playing what KKHH and WBGB play. Other than KCBS-FM leaning a bit more to 80s/90s New Wave/Modern Rock (although they all play a lot of early MTV hits) all the Audacy Adult Hits stations sound the same to me.

And since this is the 107.9 Sacramento thread, iHeart should also consider a Jack FM-like format as well. iHeart owns several Jack FM stations (Seattle, Baltimore and a Kansas City translator) and numerous Jack imitators.

But probably the more logical choice is Classic Hits. Sacramento is one of the largest markets with no Classic Hits station.
Classic/Adult Hits would be a great choice for iHeart. The Sac market has a classic hits station, KCCL (K-Hits), a Class A at 101.5 which rimshots the market from Woodland. I don't believe their owner, Results Radio, subscribes to Nielsen, so those of us outside the industry have no idea what kind of numbers it generates.

A Classic/Adult Hits station at 107.9 could take a bite out of Audacy's Eagle 96.9 juggernaut, which is more classic rock but still quite "poppy" for a classic rocker. Put that format on a full-market signal and it will likely do well, especially as a companion for Classic Rock 93.7 The River.

Another option would be to put the KFBK simulcast on 107.9 and find a new format for 93.1, but the 1530/93.1 KFBK combo already does well. Still think Classic Hits is the winning format for 107.9.

I wouldn’t rule out classic hits, but Adult Hits is probably a no. IHeart flipped 93.7 from Jack FM to classic rock several years ago.

Don’t forget KCCL Woodland covers most of the market with classic hits.
Big D - I was typing my answer before I read yours. Good point about 93.7 being Jack prior to becoming The River. I don't know for sure, but I don't think The River's ratings are any better than they were as Jack, unless the demographics (that we don't see) are much better.

A Classic/Adult Hits station at 107.9 could take a bite out of Audacy's Eagle 96.9 juggernaut, which is more classic rock but still quite "poppy" for a classic rocker.

Don't you think such a station would cannibalize iHeart's The River?

Don't you think such a station would cannibalize iHeart's The River?
Not necessarily. I'd program 107.9 to be "poppier" than The River and focus on 80s pop instead of rock. I think Audacy does this quite well in a lot of their markets, such as KKHH (as mentioned earlier) and KYCH ("Charlie") in Portland. As for iHeart, I've noticed that their reboot of KOSF in San Francisco seems to be doing well, so I might consider putting a similar station on 107.9. If that were to happen, there wouldn't be much overlap between The River.

But it's basically appealing to the same sales demo.
I'm not a radio insider (disclosure: I'm an advertiser, as I buy some radio and mostly digital ads from a radio group in Sac for my small business), but I do follow this stuff as a long-time radio geek: isn't this what iHeart does in places like LA and NY with their "wall of women" strategy? In LA, you have KIIS, KBIG and KOST, all targeting women. Are you saying there's no overlap between those three stations? Aren't they targeting the same demo (i.e. women 18+), albeit spread across three stations?

Same dynamics would be at play in Sac if iHeart were to put classic hits on 107.9, as The River ventures into 90s grunge and rock, whereas competitor The Eagle stays mostly with 70s and 80s rock (to my ear, at least). This tells me that Classic Hits on 107.9 could hit The Eagle on the upper end without sacrificing the (comparatively) lower demos on The River.

Another option would be Country, but iHeart tried that format on 92.5 a few years ago and it didn't work. It's doing much better now as the Breeze.

I'm not a radio insider (disclosure: I'm an advertiser, as I buy some radio and mostly digital ads from a radio group in Sac for my small business), but I do follow this stuff as a long-time radio geek: isn't this what iHeart does in places like LA and NY with their "wall of women" strategy? In LA, you have KIIS, KBIG and KOST, all targeting women. Are you saying there's no overlap between those three stations? Aren't they targeting the same demo (i.e. women 18+), albeit spread across three stations?
They overlap hugely. That is the idea. They have the alternatives for each listener when they want to listen to something different, and the average listener uses up to 6 station per week.

They target young, middle and older women in 18-54, but also they target moods for women who will use two or even three of the stations.

And, as music and even market moods have cycles, when one goes up, another is flat and the other may go down but the average is always about the same.

For the advertiser, all they have to do in LA is add one Black/Latino rhythmic station and as couple of Spanish stations and they have women pretty solidly covered. f
Same dynamics would be at play in Sac if iHeart were to put classic hits on 107.9, as The River ventures into 90s grunge and rock, whereas competitor The Eagle stays mostly with 70s and 80s rock (to my ear, at least). This tells me that Classic Hits on 107.9 could hit The Eagle on the upper end without sacrificing the (comparatively) lower demos on The River.
The problem is that those are all older demos and at least one focuses on rock, a declining target.
Another option would be Country, but iHeart tried that format on 92.5 a few years ago and it didn't work. It's doing much better now as the
Look at demos. Where do they have the least strength? 18-34? 30-49? 40-54? Men? Women? Where they need a demographic fill in, that is where the format will land.

It's a very tight needle they're attempting to thread, with The Breeze playing 70s/80s pop and The River playing the same era of rock. They seem to already have that area covered. Shouldn't the goal be to have someone playing some currents? That seems to be where iHeart's hole is right now. None of their stations play any currents.

They overlap hugely. That is the idea. They have the alternatives for each listener when they want to listen to something different, and the average listener uses up to 6 station per week.

They target young, middle and older women in 18-54, but also they target moods for women who will use two or even three of the stations.

And, as music and even market moods have cycles, when one goes up, another is flat and the other may go down but the average is always about the same.

For the advertiser, all they have to do in LA is add one Black/Latino rhythmic station and as couple of Spanish stations and they have women pretty solidly covered. f

The problem is that those are all older demos and at least one focuses on rock, a declining target.

Look at demos. Where do they have the least strength? 18-34? 30-49? 40-54? Men? Women? Where they need a demographic fill in, that is where the format will land.

Thank you for the interesting insight. Regarding Rock, yes it's a declining target, but the market composition of Sacramento is such that it may be able to support it, and I'm suggesting that the format for 107.9 should be more classic pop rather than rock anyway.

Regarding the demographic hole, I assume iHeart does well with women with The Breeze, does OK with men with the River, does great across both on KFBK, and I'm not sure about V101 (as I'm not a follower of that format).

In a post below yours, Big A suggested pop (CHR or Hot AC) would be the choice for 107.9, because none of their stations play currents, but I'm not sure about that choice. I don't follow that format closely, but I do understand that it's a down time for pop music. The other groups (Bonneville, Audacy) seem to have those formats covered, and they don't seem to rate highly (although demographics are a different story, and I don't have access to that). Why would iHeart want a 2nd or 3rd CHR or Hot AC instead of a clear niche with classic hits/adult hits, which is a format doing very well in a lot of markets these days?

Either way, it's an interesting discussion and it's amazing that it's taken 5 years to get to this point.

Why would iHeart want a 2nd or 3rd CHR or Hot AC instead of a clear niche with classic hits/adult hits, which is a format doing very well in a lot of markets these days?

Because as I've said it's not a clear niche. If it was, all they have to do is pivot the River and add some pop to it (as similar stations do in other markets). Then they can use this new frequency for something that aims younger. It doesn't have to be CHR or Hot AC,

BTW not sure where you get the idea that FBK does well with both men and women. News/talk is primarily an older male format (mostly over 50), and V is a 90s throwback station that also aims mainly at middle aged men. This is why I say the iHeart hole is a station that mixes in currents. They also need a station that clears at least one of its major syndicated shows.

Classic/Adult Hits would be a great choice for iHeart. The Sac market has a classic hits station, KCCL (K-Hits), a Class A at 101.5 which rimshots the market from Woodland. I don't believe their owner, Results Radio, subscribes to Nielsen, so those of us outside the industry have no idea what kind of numbers it generates.

A Classic/Adult Hits station at 107.9 could take a bite out of Audacy's Eagle 96.9 juggernaut, which is more classic rock but still quite "poppy" for a classic rocker. Put that format on a full-market signal and it will likely do well, especially as a companion for Classic Rock 93.7 The River.

Another option would be to put the KFBK simulcast on 107.9 and find a new format for 93.1, but the 1530/93.1 KFBK combo already does well. Still think Classic Hits is the winning format for 107.9.
How about moving classic rock the river to 107.9????

And put the HD 2 The Bull on 93.7?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom