• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

107.9 Sacramento

Is the betting favorite still "The Bull" New Country Format? KFBK-FM?
KFBK is doing well on 93.1, aren't they?

Another shot at The Bull might be worth it. They'll probably be required to keep Bobby Bones and that show might not work. I personally think it is a good show. As one who programmed in Sac for several years, I cannot imagine how that show connects in the market. I haven't looked at Sac research or ratings myself since the early 2000s so I could be way off, but the sensibilities on that show don't seem relatable to the Sacramento mindset that I remember. A lot changes in 20 years though.

What format hole does Sacramento have? Classic Hits, perhaps? KCCL isn't a big signal, so I can see that. But I can also see iHeart making 107.9 a clone of an existing format if that means bringing in their syndicated shows.

They could make 107.9 an Urban, if only to bring The Breakfast Club.

Or 107.9 could be a CHR, to bring either The Jubal Show or Elvis Duran. And also bring in Ryan Seacrest. (Note that Sacramento is one of a handful of Top 50 markets without an iHeart CHR.)

The older article I reviewed (sorry it's behind a paywall) also was taking into account the ownership group/cluster and what could add value.
Why KFBK? Better signal IIRC. Why the Bull? No Country in the current iHeart cluster, and likely could compete with KNTY (great call letters!) while hoping to take a bite out of the format leader KNCI (who really have a monster signal though). I doubt classic hits/rock since they have the River... CHR would be interesting, it's against the grain but it would have to be rock/active/modern leaning?

The only thing Entercom gave up was the license. The only thing iHM got in the auction was the license.

I agree. That seems to be their MO in other markets.
exactly.

The only possibility that would give them a a shot of signing up fast would be:

1. The equipment is still there
2 Audacy made a deal with iHeart to take the equipment and over the lease. But why would Audicy still be leasing the space for five years after the turning in the license.?

CP for 107.9 is on a tower North of Sacramento.
Co-located with KBEB & KXJZ.
Have no idea where the old facilities were.
(KXPR is no-longer at this site)

Attachments

• 1079.JPG
    1079.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 8
CP for 107.9 is on a tower North of Sacramento.
Co-located with KBEB & KXJZ.
Have no idea where the old facilities were.
(KXPR is no-longer at this site)
KBEB is at a different location, not far. KDND was on the KXJZ tower that you are showing.

The current facility for KXPR was never in Elverta. The stations just swapped several years ago.

Good luck trying to compete with KNCI, many have tried and failed. Is Iheart ready to try and take them on again?

But then, what other format hole is there.

Re: the Bull.

These are the same premium choice jocks they’ve had and they use magic calls.

They’ve also had this site for a while.

Why would they bother going after KNCI with a full market signal? They’re clearing Bobby Bones with the translator.

Sometimes you swing & miss, sometimes you swing and hit a home run.

There has to be a reason why Entravision came back to country. If they felt it was worth it, why not iHeart?
This is not Nashville. Sure it’s not San Francisco, but the Country share is not that high in Sac.

No telling what goes on at Entravision. I’ve been puzzled by their moves in the past. They probably thought they could recoup some of what they had before. Truthfully, I think Country would be the last format anyone would sell in combo with a Latin Urban, and their full Spanish language stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom