• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Your theory on why cumulus/ticket just sold 104.1?!

Obviously they wouldn't had dropped their N zone simulcast if not planning on replacing with a full(er) market signal for KTCK. Richie Whitt hypothesizes a 103.3/1310 swap. My guess is KTCK wants the Cowboys back, and must have a full market night pattern to get Jerry. Cumulus owned 570 (loser) has the signal, why don't they just use that?

Not sure how 103.3 came into the picture since Cumulus doesn't own it. I could see a 93.3 since that station doesn't look like it's making a dent in Kiss' ratings.

I don't see how a 1310/103.3 swap could be in the works. ESPN isn't going to leave DFW, and Cumulus would've sent 104.1 straight to ABC/Disney along with 1310 if such a deal were the end game. The convoluted sale they've come up with just isn't necessary in a swap like that.

Cumulus is either closing in on NextMedia or jockeying with whomever gets Next for 97.5 KLAK (the trades say it will either be Townsquare or Connoisseur) or buying one of Liberman's stations. I suppose it's also possible Cumulus is working on a deal for WRR, or Service Broadcasting is getting ready to cash out, but I'd think both of those possibilities are major long shots. We'd know something by now if WRR was being sold because the city council will have to debate the merits of such a deal in the open. Hymen Childs of Service Broadcasting is in his 70's, but he shows few signs of slowing down. Plus, he could have a succession plan with his family. So, I'd be shocked if he suddenly decided to go fishing for the rest of his life.

metroneck said:
Obviously they wouldn't had dropped their N zone simulcast if not planning on replacing with a full(er) market signal for KTCK. Richie Whitt hypothesizes a 103.3/1310 swap.

My guess is KTCK wants the Cowboys back, and must have a full market night pattern to get Jerry. Cumulus owned 570 (loser) has the signal, why don't they just use that?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From RWs blog:

"Again, it's only a hunch, but if The Ticket winds up on 103.3 FM and ESPN moves to 1310 AM, you heard it here first."
This only shows RW's apparent lack of understanding or knowledge (or both) of the radio biz.
Would ESPN Radio ever move from a 98,000 watt FM signal to a 25,000 watt AM signal on the high end of the AM band?
I think those in the business all know the answer to that question...
Why would ESPN Radio go from a BIG stick to a piece of poop stick?
The only way Disney/ABC/ESPN would move off a 100K signal would be to move to a different 100K signal.

=================================================

Dan Bennet/the little ticket were sooo excited about having the cowboys, they terminated their original deal (of five years) when they had to chance to opt out before the full five years were done. Why? They were not making any (relatively speaking) money on it! Jerry wanted and got more of the inventory than they did. The "increase" in the ratings during the games were not enough to make it worth their while.
Q: Who wouldn't want the cowboys?
A: DB/the ticket, if they had to do the same deal... or worse!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see 93.3 in their plans if they want to keep the existing coverage in Collin/Grayson counties. 97.5 would be a better fit. (lots of mad dentist offices if it flips though ;D)

metroneck said:
Obviously they wouldn't had dropped their N zone simulcast if not planning on replacing with a full(er) market signal for KTCK. Richie Whitt hypothesizes a 103.3/1310 swap. My guess is KTCK wants the Cowboys back, and must have a full market night pattern to get Jerry. Cumulus owned 570 (loser) has the signal, why don't they just use that?

Since I've recently retired from CBS I'm not speaking as an insider and just speculating out loud....

First..
The Cowboys moving is somewhat of a moot point since there are a number of years left on the contract.

Second...
In general (again speaking as an outsider) contracts with major teams are a "Loss Leader" for the stations involved. I do not know the particulars of the Cowboy/CBS agreement, but in general with today's PBP contracts with major teams, most of the AD inventory pre/post/halftime and during the game are given to the team to sell leaving little if any for the "Flagship" to sell...

Third...
With The Ticket's consistent ratings performance they really don't "need" The Cowboys. The ratings bump is probably not worth the bottom line cost to 1310 and/or it's full power FM, unlike the bump 103.3 gets from the Rangers, or the wiggle that The Fan gets from the Cowboys.

Finally...
IMHO, The Ticket is simply planning for the future and rather than killing one of the current FM signals in the cluster, or putting it on an inferior signal such as 93.3, it makes perfect sense to divest a low power rimshot and simply wave a fistfull of dollars at one of many under capitalized companies in Dallas. There is the possibility they could pick up a Liberman FM or Radio One's Cedar Hill signal which would be an advantage. A full C out of Collinsville is not a bad idea since the growth in the area is towards that stick as well and would out perform the lower power/lower height signal they had.

Remember, 93.3 struggles to reach the northern counties, while the "lil Ticket struggled to reach southern Dallas county and KPLX and KSCS are making money, so there is no advantage to moving on either stick...

My 2.5 cents worth....

Jay Walker

Jay Walker said:
metroneck said:

Since I've recently retired from CBS I'm not speaking as an insider and just speculating out loud....

My 2.5 cents worth....

Jay Walker

Makes sense regarding Cowboys, but why sell their simulcast? It's obviously a piece of 1310 coverage puzzle, or they wouldn't have added it. 93.3 is no answer, 96.7 could be, but I've heard 50% of WBAP listenership is on the FM. KLIF is a great full mkt day/night pattern that's gone from hero, to zero past decade.

Jay Walker said:
metroneck said:

First..
The Cowboys moving is somewhat of a moot point since there are a number of years left on the contract.

Second...
In general (again speaking as an outsider) contracts with major teams are a "Loss Leader" for the stations involved. I do not know the particulars of the Cowboy/CBS agreement, but in general with today's PBP contracts with major teams, most of the AD inventory pre/post/halftime and during the game are given to the team to sell leaving little if any for the "Flagship" to sell...

Third...
With The Ticket's consistent ratings performance they really don't "need" The Cowboys. The ratings bump is probably not worth the bottom line cost to 1310 and/or it's full power FM, unlike the bump 103.3 gets from the Rangers, or the wiggle that The Fan gets from the Cowboys.

Finally...
IMHO, The Ticket is simply planning for the future and rather than killing one of the current FM signals in the cluster, or putting it on an inferior signal such as 93.3, it makes perfect sense to divest a low power rimshot and simply wave a fistfull of dollars at one of many under capitalized companies in Dallas. There is the possibility they could pick up a Liberman FM or Radio One's Cedar Hill signal which would be an advantage. A full C out of Collinsville is not a bad idea since the growth in the area is towards that stick as well and would out perform the lower power/lower height signal they had.

Remember, 93.3 struggles to reach the northern counties, while the "lil Ticket struggled to reach southern Dallas county and KPLX and KSCS are making money, so there is no advantage to moving on either stick...

My 2.5 cents worth....

Jay Walker

Why would Radio One sell 97.9, unless they are thinking about leaving D/FW altogether. If that were the case, Joyner would have a fit. 94.5 is on the same stick in Collinsville as 100.7. Cumulus is up to something, but we don't know what. Lets just wait to see what happens.

metroneck said:
Makes sense regarding Cowboys, but why sell their simulcast? It's obviously a piece of 1310 coverage puzzle, or they wouldn't have added it. 93.3 is no answer, 96.7 could be, but I've heard 50% of WBAP listenership is on the FM. KLIF is a great full mkt day/night pattern that's gone from hero, to zero past decade.

I don't think the Cowboys theory makes any sense at all. The Ticket kills it without the Cowboys and the rights are very expensive and likely only pay for themselves (if that). I just don't see Cumulus outbidding CBS for the rights any time soon.

As to why Cumulus would sell 104.1, it's clearly to make room for another FM signal. The 104.1 signal is a dog. Even calling it a "rimshot" is generous. Here is the coverage map from the FCC: https://maps.google.com/?q=http://t...req=104.1&contour=60&city=SANGER&state=TX.kml

That's the 60 dBu contour. In a car with a decent radio you can of course hear it further, but the typical usable line for home and office radios is actually smaller than what you see on the map. And as you can tell 104.1 doesn't even cover the populated areas of Collin County or the the southern areas of Denton County like Lewisville and Flower Mound. It's basically a Denton city station, which isn't nothing, but not much when your context is the giant DFW market.

salemjedi54 said:
Why would Radio One sell 97.9, unless they are thinking about leaving D/FW altogether. If that were the case, Joyner would have a fit. 94.5 is on the same stick in Collinsville as 100.7. Cumulus is up to something, but we don't know what. Lets just wait to see what happens.

"Joyner would have a fit" would not matter to Radio One IF it were their intention to leave the market or sell any property as he is not an owner or on the board of directors. Mr. Joyner is an employee and that's all.

KBFB 97.9 is a full C from Cedar Hill and that is a possibility.
As you know or should know all stations are for sale for the right price and circumstance.

Jay Walker said:
salemjedi54 said:

"Joyner would have a fit" would not matter to Radio One IF it were their intention to leave the market or sell any property as he is not an owner or on the board of directors. Mr. Joyner is an employee and that's all.

As you know or should know all stations are for sale for the right price and circumstance.

He is an employee who has tremendous influence.

salemjedi54 said:
Jay Walker said:
salemjedi54 said:

He is an employee who has tremendous influence.

If he had that degree of influence he would be on the board of directors. I'm not diminishing or slighting Mr. Joyner, I'm just pointing out basic business facts. Mr. Joyner is a great guy and I've known him since the "Fly-jock" days when he and I were in Chicago.

Another theory could be that CBS and Cumulus may be working out a deal. After the partnership of CBSSN there has been a lot of talk around CBS selling stations to Cumulus. CBS may have decided to sell 105.3 to Cumulus for The Ticket and Cumulus would run the network on 1310. To support this theory, the Mavericks flagship deal with ESPN I believe expired after this year. The were rumors that they were moving to The Fan. From my knowledge there has been no announcement of any flagship deal which is unusual this far after the season. If CBS has decided to make a move then negotiations may have been put on hold.

trying2getn said:
Another theory could be that CBS and Cumulus may be working out a deal. After the partnership of CBSSN there has been a lot of talk around CBS selling stations to Cumulus. CBS may have decided to sell 105.3 to Cumulus for The Ticket and Cumulus would run the network on 1310. To support this theory, the Mavericks flagship deal with ESPN I believe expired after this year. The were rumors that they were moving to The Fan. From my knowledge there has been no announcement of any flagship deal which is unusual this far after the season. If CBS has decided to make a move then negotiations may have been put on hold.

While anybodies guess is as good as mine...

Even with low ratings The Fan prints a lot of money for the cluster so I don't think that would be an option. Also consider that IF CBS were to divest an FM (NOT likely) it would be the lowest power FM which is 107.5 on the block. But I do not see any logic in a CBS selling scenario. You do not spin off a full Class C FM in a capped out cluster in the top 5 market on a whim. There is no strategic value.

The highly vaunted collaboration between Cumulus and CBS sports IMO is the same as the relationship any "network"(CBS Sports) has with it's transport provider (Cumulus). As far as a strategic "programming" partnership I'm guessing the "programming" partnership ends at the affiliates receive dish...

Jay, you seem to have as good of feel on this as anyone, but still have not theorized why Cumulus sold 104.1. I highly doubt it was on a whim, there must be a play.

Ryan Williams said:
metroneck said:

I don't think the Cowboys theory makes any sense at all. The Ticket kills it without the Cowboys and the rights are very expensive and likely only pay for themselves (if that). I just don't see Cumulus outbidding CBS for the rights any time soon.

As to why Cumulus would sell 104.1, it's clearly to make room for another FM signal. The 104.1 signal is a dog. Even calling it a "rimshot" is generous. Here is the coverage map from the FCC: https://maps.google.com/?q=http://t...req=104.1&contour=60&city=SANGER&state=TX.kml

That's the 60 dBu contour. In a car with a decent radio you can of course hear it further, but the typical usable line for home and office radios is actually smaller than what you see on the map. And as you can tell 104.1 doesn't even cover the populated areas of Collin County or the the southern areas of Denton County like Lewisville and Flower Mound. It's basically a Denton city station, which isn't nothing, but not much when your context is the giant DFW market.

Is 89.7 Power FM on the same stick? They're both Sanger stations.

104.1 FM comes in fine in most of Collin County. I have a crappy factory radio and I can receive it as far east as the western edge of Greenville. Outside the 60-dBu circle, the signal is still pretty clear, but some nights when there is strong tropo, it can get pretty choppy in McKinney.

metroneck said:
Jay, you seem to have as good of feel on this as anyone, but still have not theorized why Cumulus sold 104.1. I highly doubt it was on a whim, there must be a play.

That's easy...Cumulus wants a FULL C from Cedar Hill. Getting rid of the rimshot allows for the opening. No doubt they will put the Ticket on a new Full C when they get one as that is good strategic planning for the future, doing it before there's any erosion The addition of a FULL C also allows them the ability to flip one of the country C's to CHR IF warranted giving I-93.3 a FULL C to compete against KISS-FM...If Cumulus simply wanted any Full C in the area there are many rimshots such as 94.5 they could purchase at any time.

The Radio One scenario I tossed out is very doable since Cumulus has stations in Radio One markets they could trade for KBFB. Radio One is not embedded in the market as they only own two under performing FM stations in Dallas. As an example Cumulus could trade an Atlanta FM and cash for KBFB which would bolster Radio One in Atlanta or Houston or.......Lots of possibilities.

To those who think Cumulus would put their intellectual property (Ticket Programming) on a competitor's FM are not thinking clearly. The ONLY value 1310 has is it's programming. Without it, 1310 is just another signal deficient AM with no solid total metro coverage at night. Also even if it was an LMA type of arraignment, the bottom line would suffer, so again that's not likely.

Likewise no cluster operator (like CBS) with a market "Holy Grail" that being a capped out market of FULL C FM's would sell them individually. Look at the previous history of major groups selling Top 20 market clusters, they usually sell it ALL to one owner...

My "whim" statement was directed at those who said CBS would dump a single full C in DFW. I doubt that will happen as it is not a strategic move.

Doesn't WBAP get higher ratings? Maybe Cumulus wants to put WBAP-FM on Cedar Hill and put the Ticket on 96.7 instead. The tower is farther away than 104.1 is, but the Class C signal gives DFW better coverage than the Sanger tower.

Triple Fake Jerry said:
Doesn't WBAP get higher ratings? Maybe Cumulus wants to put WBAP-FM on Cedar Hill and put the Ticket on 96.7 instead. The tower is farther away than 104.1 is, but the Class C signal gives DFW better coverage than the Sanger tower.

In the persons 25+ "money" demos Ticket leads 'BAP by almost 2 points. 96.7 would not really benefit the Ticket for Dallas in-office listening as the "building punch" is nowhere near a Cedar Hill signal. 96.7 would be an improvement "sort of" in Collin Co. over 104.1 but not by as much as you would think...

Here's why...

The average "predicted" -60dbu contour from FULL C 100kw Cedar Hill sticks runs around 5 to 7 miles north of 380 in McKinney on that radius. When I have done field intensity readings from Farmersville to Denton the actual readings observed are somewhat better than the "predicted" readings. Since 96.7 is off the Decatur Tower the -60dbu falls far short of Downtown Dallas and is on the outer edge of the contour for the central Collin Co US75 corridor. The 104.1 -60dbu signal located west of FM372 and Tower Road runs slightly west of the McKinney line US75 corridor...So 96.7 is no real gain over 104.1. Plus the 1310 night signal signal covers any advantage 96.7 has over 104.1 in the mid-cities area...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom