• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WZTK New format

carolinaradio said:
What about classic hits on 98.3?

Urban Gospel can make a big impact on the ratings with a weaker signal. I think it could do better than Classic Hits. It's an easy sell for a three city market too. All you need is a good signal over eastern and southern Winston-Salem and eastern Greensboro. WIST is strong over all of High Point. 98.3 fights with WBRF 98.1 in western Winston-Salem and the western suburbs, where the Classic Hits audience in the west Triad is. I don't expect a change anytime soon, but this is a good option for this signal. 98.3 is the worst signal, followed by 94.5 and 92.3. I thought 101.1 had a good signal over all three cities. I remember you could be in the building while Tim was doing the morning show on 94.5 WXRA and we couldn't listen to it on a portable radio in the same building near downtown Winston-Salem. That downtown had the highest concentration of jobs in the Triad and the market's largest and second largest employers were nearby in big concrete and steel buildings. We can laugh about it now.

Anyone know what will happen to the play-by-play sports that WZTK carried? Namely the Panthers and Wake Forest men's basketball/football? If CMG still has them, I suppose they could be put on the Triad Sports Network stations, but the Panthers still won't come in strong in Winston-Salem that way (maybe add them to WSJS?). Wake Forest is already on in most of NW North Carolina on WBRF. The Triangle loses out on Wake Forest play-by-play unless someone here wants to add them.

naytchrboy said:
Anyone know what will happen to the play-by-play sports that WZTK carried? Namely the Panthers and Wake Forest men's basketball/football? If CMG still has them, I suppose they could be put on the Triad Sports Network stations, but the Panthers still won't come in strong in Winston-Salem that way (maybe add them to WSJS?). Wake Forest is already on in most of NW North Carolina on WBRF. The Triangle loses out on Wake Forest play-by-play unless someone here wants to add them.

I haven't heard anything, but I'm curious myself. The Triangle has a Panthers affiliate (99.9 The Fan), but I'd also like to see a station whose signal reaches the Triangle pick up Wake Forest...

Wouldn't it be a huge stick in the eye if CMG were to purchase 105.3, WNOW FM, and create a huge regional Hispanic station. That one purchase could give them a huge coverage that would include Charlotte, Greenville, SC, Winston and Greensboro plus wha they already have!

nuffsaid said:
Wouldn't it be a huge stick in the eye if CMG were to purchase 105.3, WNOW FM, and create a huge regional Hispanic station. That one purchase could give them a huge coverage that would include Charlotte, Greenville, SC, Winston and Greensboro plus wha they already have!

Great thought...I wonder if Mr. Curtis or Mr. Zachary would think the same way. It took them a while to make the decision to put La Ley on 101.1.

CMG has a vision of creating a little news talk network that covered Raleigh and Greensboro but it just did not work out. It took them longer to make that decision because they had, as I am told, invested heavily in the NC news network. Hard to throw in the towel when you have lots of cash on the line. The addtion of WNOW to CMG would give them a platform for Hispanic that would reach Raleigh, Charlotte, and the GSO market with a HUGE signal. They have the money to do it and the expertise to make it happen.

Don't think Don Curtis will want WNOW-FM, he'll want WNOW-AM because "AM is going to make a comeback." A true visionary, although I think he's just seein' things!

10 years ago Don Curtis was a visionary. That's why QDR is as strong as it is today.

Lately though I do believe the old man is slipping a bit.

I agree about Don Curtis. WHEN he does get around to making a decision, opportunity is already knocking on someone else's door. He stopping spending on WZTK last August saying that the station had to stand on its own legs as he wasn't throwing another dime into it. That's because the big AM Network he was setting up (Triad Sports Network) was sucking wind and he had to keep it afloat along with WSJS. Now 101.1 is gone, and the W-Salem property along with the TSN are still sucking wind. That was a really good fix. Wonder what radio station in the CMG chain is next to be cut loose so he can funnel $ into the black hole of AM Radio? I am surprised that Phil Zachary is still putting up with Don's antics.

I couldnt help but notice that sjs hit a new milestone in the march book with no discernible ppm audience. Beyond the obvious embarrassment of this circumstance, what could they do to turn this around? More importantly, how long can curtis sustain this kind of damage month after month? I have to admit I find this all morbidly fascinating. The entire industry should watch carefully what happens in central NC for the rest of the year; I am certain it is going to be an educational experience. I was a big cheerleader for ztk so I was pleased to see brad and brit surviving the massacre, but clearly that wont be enough to overcome the monotony of dave ramsey and clark howard back to back. boortz would have been the obvious choice to replace one of those two, and I wouldnt hesitate one second to ditch dennis miller in favor of someone like laura ingraham......maybe I'm just living in the wrong universe. can anyone explain to me the internal logic that has gotten curtis into a real pickle of a situation?

Biting off more than he could chew! Let SJS go dark and I'll pick it up and go back local all day and night and sell spots like the old days..."Dollar a Holler"!!!! ;D

There is no internal logic at work here. It's Don's "gut feeling" that AM is coming back. Employees have seen and heard the change in him. Gotta be something due to his advanced age. It's sad to see CMG self destruct.

Think the CMG power to be had visions of a rush to suppor the network and that failed to happen. If you look at numbers aroudn the country, NEWS stations are growing and NEWs/TALK stations are just there. Look at Charlotte with WBT and WFAE both holing a 3.9 in the PPM. WBT, WSJS, and WPTF were all at one time were real news leaders and now they are only blinking lights on a AM tower! Randy Michaels is not making it against the established big guys and the news and news/talk stations in our area are just "not making it"!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom