• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WZTK New format

Confirm by who?? I bet you uno grande buritoe that they don't. Last time I checked, they're playing dance music as "Pulse FM" which is a cool name!!!!! Why mess with it??? ;D :eek: (keeping it down on the smiley faces for everyone comfort@@@!1 ;D)

Sniffthamic said:
Confirm by who?? I bet you uno grande buritoe that they don't. Last time I checked, they're playing dance music as "Pulse FM" which is a cool name!!!!! Why mess with it??? ;D :eek: (keeping it down on the smiley faces for everyone comfort@@@!1 ;D)

Starts next week, and I'll rather have an empanada!

It would have been nice to see how The Pulse would have done in the Greensboro market if it would have stayed on that WZTK frequency.

LOL at Spanish. Sucks for you guys.

Luckily in Rocky Mount I can get 101.1 Sam FM which is a great station, though sometimes 101.1 Burlington tries to fight with it.

Variety hits, if done properly, would do great in Raleigh.

If done properly = 98.7 Simon (Greensboro) or 93.7 Bob FM (Norfolk). SAM is nice but it is 100% satellite driven.

Raleigh has a 10% Hispanic compostion, Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point is close to 8%. And those figures are only rising as time goes by.

La Ley 96.9 WYMY barely hits Raleigh with its Goldsboro-based signal and only puts a partial signal into Durham and Chapel Hill. And the only FM station broadcasting in Spanish in the Greensboro market is on 2000 watt WIST. So it makes a lot of sense to simulcast WYMY on 101.1.

However, switching WZTK from Talk to Regional Mexican means Curtis Broadcasting is not doing anything to save its big investment in News-Talk in either Raleigh (680 WPTF) or Greensboro (600 WSJS). Both stations had been their market's big Talk stations when they had Rush and before Clear Channel set up FM Talk stations, using Rush, in both markets. Now WPTF and WSJS are getting awful ratings.

They could have tried a plan to simulcast all three stations on 600, 680 and 101.1, combining their news operations, maybe just allowing WPTF and WSJS to continue their own local morning shows. But if Curtis doesn't find FM frequencies for either station, I don't think they can continue having significant news departments or local hosts. They both have the best AM signals in their markets. But these days that's not enough.

Gregg
[email protected]

I agree, Gregg. I've said over and over on here that WPTF needed to do something to get on FM (never really said much for WSJS because I'm not as familiar with that market, but the same applies there). However, if they even went to FM anymore, would it matter? Is it too far gone?

Now that WIST has competition, 98.3 WIST should try Urban Gospel. I doubt that will happen though. I think the new 103.1 in Winston-Salem will become Urban Gospel when it's built out. It should cover the entire city of Winston-Salem and the suburbs, but won't reach Greensboro, which has 103.1 WUAG blocking it. Considering this new signal in Winston-Salem is more powerful (.25 kW vs. .018 kW) than WUAG, I'm sure WUAG listeners will complain. I don't know why Stuart moved it to 103.1. Lite 102.9 has a strong signal in Winston-Salem and will interfere with it. 102.5 was open. Back to WIST, 98.3 has signal issues in western Winston-Salem with WBRF, but has good signal over eastern Winston-Salem.

Feel that one has to understand a couple of things: 1) Rush is not longer on the Curtis stations, 2) the FM stations that picked up Russ are not setting the world on fire, 3) a good news station (AM or FM) has a good shot at winning if it is programmed correctly and doesn't water down the presentation with a lot of MBS! Don and Phil are not stupid and have donw well with the Hispanic station despite the signal coverage of the market. Simulcasting that format with 101.1 makes a lot of sense to me. There will be very little over head on 101.1 for the talent is already on the air, some promotional money to launch, and then sit back and watch it grow. To bad for Norberto Sanchez and his WIST FM in High Point. I do feel they were just part time players in the market for there has never been any local on air staff, and from what I hear a very poor sales department. WNOW FM is hurting the Sanchex group in Charlotte and now he is going to be attacked on the other side by 101.1. To bad!

Mr_Winston-Salem said:
Now that WIST has competition, 98.3 WIST should try Urban Gospel. I doubt that will happen though. I think the new 103.1 in Winston-Salem will become Urban Gospel when it's built out. It should cover the entire city of Winston-Salem and the suburbs, but won't reach Greensboro, which has 103.1 WUAG blocking it. Considering this new signal in Winston-Salem is more powerful (.25 kW vs. .018 kW) than WUAG, I'm sure WUAG listeners will complain. I don't know why Stuart moved it to 103.1. Lite 102.9 has a strong signal in Winston-Salem and will interfere with it. 102.5 was open. Back to WIST, 98.3 has signal issues in western Winston-Salem with WBRF, but has good signal over eastern Winston-Salem.
Also, Thomasville has WEOM.

Too bad, because Life 103.1 in Sanford plays good music and reaches as far north as the intersection of 109 and 64.

+1 carolinaradio. "too far gone?" well, news talk is on the downslide.
sports talk is holding it's own, but is becoming diluted over the dial.
AM/FM doesn't matter....as i've posted before, some of the under-30
crowd have ZERO presets on their original-equipment car radio since
they don't use it. their car radio is like the parking brake.

turkeydance said:

I don't think it has gone down as far as a "parking brake", but it's certainly getting there. It's pretty sad when you hit all of your buttons and can't find anything satisfying to listen to. The monthly investment in time to update the library in my I-Pod is well worth it.

I used to really love to listen to the radio and monitor stations just to see what they were doing such as contests and promotions. Now, it has all but disappeared.

Sad.

Funny whenever you stop and think…CC flipped Spanish for Talk. CMG is flipping Talk for Spanish. Who’s right? I think La Ley will sell the $2 Millions in advertisement before Rush will do it…. :eek:

Mr_Winston-Salem said:
What about classic hits on 98.3?

turkeydance said:

Where is your research from? Arbitron says 91% of persons 6-34 years of age listen to the radio weekly.
A lot of young people "say" the don't listen to radio because they think it's cool to say that. But the PPM meter doesn't lie. They're tuning in to G105, Pulse 102, K97, and QDR more than they will admit.

The denizens of a radio discussion board may be disappointed with radio, but listeners of G105, WQDR, WRAL, and many other stations are quite satisfied with their product.

Yes, there is more competition for ears, but people who use Pandora, Sat radio, and MP3 players are also heavy users of terrestrial radio. Some people don't listen to anything at all. About 9% according to Arbitron.

On topic: as a former CMG employee, I can tell you that La Ley has been VERY successful since it launched.
They have a very good sales team, and they'll be double dipping in two markets soon.

Think Surfdude is dead on! CM has history with hispanic radio and has been VERY successful with that format. There is little competition in the GSO market with WIST's staff and Raleigh is wide open. Look for Curtis to close the gap on that "missed revenue" by next week. CC did extremely well in the GSO market with Spanish until they launched "Rush Radio" and cut their revenue in half!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom