• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Which FM station is most likely to flip next?

unless some station completely tanks, I think you are going to see things ride out the current state of radio for a couple of years, albeit with the usual tweaks and playlist adjustments.

Radio has taken a huge hit money wise over the last almost 2 years, and it takes a couple of years after a flip to get into solid profitability.... If I were making the decisions I'd be trying to right the ship and get some of the money back and get on solid ground, and if that was not possible then and only then would I look at a flip.... and what do you flip TO?

I think someone is likely to go Classic Hip Hop in the next year. Maybe 94.5
Speculation is fine, but you might name specifics as to weak performing stations and the time frame.

Format changes during the ongoing (and seemingly never-ending) pandemic are costly and have little immediate impact.

I withdraw my prediction for WBOS. After I posted this topic, I came to the realization that there was still some unread comments in another thread. With it being mentioned that WBOS is performing very strong in their key demo, I no longer see the need for them to flip at all

I could see WBOS adding some new rock to their playlist and put them more in line with co-owned WMMR/Philadelphia, WRIF/Detroit, or WDHA/Dover, NJ, but other than that, I don't see much change in any station. Maybe WEEI has a bit of an overhaul to try to compete better with 98.5? Otherwise, what we see is what we get for 2022...

Jacko

Although they don't go as far back as Audacy's 2 stations - 104.3 JAMS in Chicago and 94.7 The Block in NYC, Beasley's HOT 96.9 plays some older Hip-Hop.
I think Hot 96.9 would likely play less throwbacks if 94.5 went to Classic Hip Hop.

Speculation is fine, but you might name specifics as to weak performing stations and the time frame.

Format changes during the ongoing (and seemingly never-ending) pandemic are costly and have little immediate impact.
Jamn has been weak off and on. My speculation would be after the next couple ratings periods that the change could happen depending on ratings. I think this last period was a bit better for Jamn so we shall see. And yup, no inside knowledge. Just speculation.

The fact is IHeart is a very successful and knowledgeable broadcaster. They have 4 radio stations in the top 10 based on the ratings of listeners ages 12 and up. Two of these are AM stations! They have a cume audience of well over 2 million listeners just with these four stations. They are consistently producing this audience. Advertisers can absolutely count on IHeart to deliver their message to their targeted audience. IHeart runs a business based on results. No decision will be made that does not benefit the advertiser. Radio station owners want a diverse portfolio of stations to sell as a package. Wild, emotional speculation with no rationale as to why IHeart would need to change is not logical or credible.

They have a cume audience of well over 2 million listeners just with these four stations.
All your points are well taken, but one cautionary note: Nielsen cume numbers are not additive. There is considerable duplication between those 4 station you refer to, so the figure is nearly one million less in unduplicated cume.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom