• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Where will the ALT 92.3 Refugees Go? Options?

Too bad Townsquare did not buy the 94.3 stick when it was in Pomona. They could have covered Rockland, Bergen and part of Westchester as well. Also too bad K-Love is operating on the construction permit for 94.3 to move it to NYC. This leaves no FM options for Rockland County. The FCC certainly sucks.
Townsquare couldn't have done much with it. You can't import an out of market signal on a commercially licensed translator...not to mention the pathetic coverage on 94.3. Even when it was in Hartsdale, it didn't get out all that well. Certainly not worth the aggravation. Listeners to this format should look to streaming, or perhaps get a HD radio and support whatever ends up on 92.3 HD2.

What area does [WRRV] cover? I'm in Bergen County, NJ and 92.7 for me is a religious station

If you are in Orange or Dutchess county, you are set but they do not make it past the mountains. All you get is 92.7 in Garden City.
The simulcast on 96.9 also gets drowned out by too much interference from WQHT on 97.1.

The only way I used to get it was when I had a directional antenna years ago. If I wanted WLIR I pointed it south, WRRV pointed it north and both came in great. In the car however forget about it.
It is interesting to read that WFME-FM (Family Radio) can be picked up in Bergen County because I cannot pick up the station at my location in Lower Manhattan due to the tall buildings.

During the 1980s, I was able to pick up WLIR, one of WFME-FM's predecessors, with a boombox. It was either the east-facing window or something in the boombox that enabled me to pick up 92.7 at the time. Either way, the signal wasn't strong, but it was tolerable, enabling me to hear the wide range of alternative music that no one else was playing at the time.

It is interesting to read that WFME-FM (Family Radio) can be picked up in Bergen County because I cannot pick up the station at my location in Lower Manhattan due to the tall buildings.

During the 1980s, I was able to pick up WLIR, one of WFME-FM's predecessors, with a boombox. It was either the east-facing window or something in the boombox that enabled me to pick up 92.7 at the time. Either way, the signal wasn't strong, but it was tolerable, enabling me to hear the wide range of alternative music that no one else was playing at the time.
And that sort of listening is done by a microscopic number of radio users in New York or any other market.

When it was WDRE/WLIR I remember problems with the signal in Manhattan as well. However it came booming in, along I95 and the coast in Fairfield, CT.

Only a tiny sliver of the New York city market. It's a Middletown, NY signal. The city grade contour barely reaches West Milford, NJ, which I believe is in the NYC market.
Yes West Milford is Passaic County which is in the NYC market. I grew up there. We would get both NYC and Hudson Valley stations.

When the audience cannot come to an agreement on what songs they want to hear, then the format simply dies off.

Modern rock ultimately has no future and it’s only a matter of time before commercial stations just give up on it entirely. The same honestly can be said about active and mainstream rock.

I noticed that Q104.3 was playing new music by the Red Hot Chili Peppers this year before Alt 92.3 played them! I found that odd being a classic rock station. You would play their old stuff and not their new stuff.

When the audience cannot come to an agreement on what songs they want to hear, then the format simply dies off.

Modern rock ultimately has no future and it’s only a matter of time before commercial stations just give up on it entirely. The same honestly can be said about active and mainstream rock.
If the modern rock formats are dying, then they are doing so very slowly.

According to News Generation, a public relations firm, there are:
  • 165 active rock stations
  • 163 alternative stations
  • 73 mainstream rock stations
Source: Number of Stations by Format (News Generation)

Perhaps the numbers are slightly lower now than when they were posted, but the point is that there is still a sizable number of radio stations that play modern rock music.

There are also 296 Gospel and 192 Adult Standards stations listed. Weak formats can exist for a long time, especially if they land on the 7th most valuable signal in a cluster.

iHeart and Urban One operate quite a few Gospel outlets, mostly on AM stations. If they go away, it will likely be because the station was shut down completely.

There are also 296 Gospel and [129] Adult Standards stations listed. Weak formats can exist for a long time, especially if they land on the 7th most valuable signal in a cluster.

iHeart and Urban One operate quite a few Gospel outlets, mostly on AM stations. If they go away, it will likely be because the station was shut down completely.
As far as I know, most of the stations with those formats are not on the coveted FM frequencies, so they were easy for me to overlook.

In NYC, gospel music is on WLIB, a stand-alone Class B AM station that no one wants to buy.

There are also 296 Gospel and 192 Adult Standards stations listed. Weak formats can exist for a long time, especially if they land on the 7th most valuable signal in a cluster.

I'd imagine iHeart's FM gospel stations, in Southern markets like Jackson and Montgomery, do OK. Unlike southern (white) gospel music, which appeals more to older, rural listeners, black gospel has kept up with the times and most likely has a more attractive demographic profile to advertisers.

I haven't heard about this. K-Love already has WPLJ 95.5 and WKLV 96.7. What would they do with 94.3?
They’re doing nothing with it. The applicant is just using WPLJ as a placeholder for the construction permit. Good luck with that big 6 watt signal…

They’re doing nothing with it. The applicant is just using WPLJ as a placeholder for the construction permit. Good luck with that big 6 watt signal…
I agree, pretty weak, 65 watts in Manhattan but that 250 watts in Pomona, NY does not have the tall buildings issues.

Coverage area, Rockland, part of Westchester.

I know it probably would not happen but WRRV could pickup a decent chunk of listeners with that coverage area.

The translator could eliminate reception of mainstream rock station WWSK 94.3, The Shark, within a portion of its coverage area.

The translator could eliminate reception of mainstream rock station WWSK 94.3, The Shark, within a portion of its coverage area.
It was running 250 watts directional from Hartsdale. I doubt the lower power from the top of an apartment building will impact much of anything. Honestly, I doubt anyone will notice that it’s there.

Sean Ross offers his views:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom