• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Where will the ALT 92.3 Refugees Go? Options?

As Audacy chases the nursing home demographic by flipping the main channel ALT 92.3 to a 1010 WINS simulcast, where will ALT listeners go if they want the existing format or new Alternative that existed on HD2?

It is sad that they sound great now, too bad they did not do what they are doing now months ago. They say the existing format will go to HD, but one wonders will it be the same as it is now and how long will that really last.

So which Audacy stream will the radio refugees be able to find the current incarnation of what is on 92.3 main channel and HD2 after 10/27?

Just some ramblings below of other options I think will be mentioned. Maybe someone can add to the list of options.

For OTA:

Some will say, WFUV, but it is really slim pickings there. Very few hours of ALT, allot of other programming, it is a mess. (the ratings should really list the station as variety instead of ALT).

107.1 The Peak. If you are lucky and depending on when you listen there will be a good cross section of ALT, mixed with some new but allot of Classic Rock. Still nothing like the full time Alternative that exists on 92.3 or New Arrivals on 92.3 HD2 unless you are listening in on "New Releases Wednesday".
I think this however is really the only OTA option for Alternative if you can pick it up.

Streaming:

Audacy: New Arrivals.

Spotify: ALT Now channel, or any of the Alternative Foundations channels.

Does WRFF make it that far?, I would imagine it can be heard in lower Staten Island, and parts of NJ outside the NYC metro to the south, never tried it when I was up that way, maybe some alt fans in the area can post a reception report, especially at night, when FM signals seem to travel a bit further.....

Does WRFF make it that far?, I would imagine it can be heard in lower Staten Island, and parts of NJ outside the NYC metro to the south, never tried it when I was up that way, maybe some alt fans in the area can post a reception report, especially at night, when FM signals seem to travel a bit further.....
Too weak and too much interference from Q104.3 to be picked up. I was actually going to list it under "Stream" since I used to stream it prior to 92.3 switching to ALT but after looking at the playlist, nah. The playlist reminds me of the weak sauce playlist from 92.3 from last month without any of the new music.

WRFF only makes it up to about the Edison area at best. WAXQ at 104.3 dominates beyond that. A couple of other options for those that like the heavier stuff include 95.9 The Fox in the SW Connecticut/Westchester Co. areas, and 94.3 The Shark on Long Island.

WRFF only makes it up to about the Edison area at best. WAXQ at 104.3 dominates beyond that. A couple of other options for those that like the heavier stuff include 95.9 The Fox in the SW Connecticut/Westchester Co. areas, and 94.3 The Shark on Long Island.
I did not realize 95.9 The Fox added Alternative. The two stations seem very similar in that they mix Rock and Alternative. You can tell they are both owned by the same company, Connoisseur Media with the identical websites.

Last edited:
The closest options outside of those already mentioned will be Q104.3 and perhaps NEW 102.7. NEW plays a number of Alt crossovers, and is less rhythmic friendly than a lot of Hot AC’s. We could see especially some female or casual ALT listeners go there. Sort of surprised Audacy isn’t promoting it along with 92.3 HD2.

Other than that, likely a scattering between Z100, WEPN, and WFAN.

What is the RAT doing now, still heavy Active like years ago when I was in the area, any Alternative cuts, but they seem to have the worst signal in the area, RL is very generous with their coverage area. Speaking of WRFF what ever became of Rock Nation they used to have on their HD2, which is the Gambler now....RN really Rocked.

SiriusXM, Spotify, streaming. Nobody is going to use the Audacy app to listen to it. People that want to use the Audacy app hate it. Check the reviews. Bring up the newest reviews. None of them are happy

If they have HD Radio in their car, they may or may not listen. A few companies encode the HD subs. Highest I ever see in the ratings for an HD2 on it’s own is about a .1

But usually when you push away an audience like this, they’re not going to go listen to another station that does not play the music they want to hear. If they can stream, use SiriusXM, they will.

Attachments

• C193C510-DF11-430E-B99B-5558E5429DF9.png
    C193C510-DF11-430E-B99B-5558E5429DF9.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
But usually when you push away an audience like this, they’re not going to go listen to another station that does not play the music they want to hear. If they can stream, use SiriusXM, they will.

There is no place for them to go because no one radio station can satisfy the demands of this audience. Every time someone else picks the song, it gives them another reason to complain. This audience is what Spotify was made for. On demand streaming of their own personal playlist.

There is no place for them to go because no one radio station can satisfy the demands of this audience. Every time someone else picks the song, it gives them another reason to complain. This audience is what Spotify was made for. On demand streaming of their own personal playlist.
I am perfectly fine with the current incarnation of 92.3 this month and New Arrivals HD2. There are also streaming channels on Spotify and IHeart apps that get Alternative right. There are stations throughout the US that get it right.

This thing in NYC about fitting all forms of Rock into one channel, sticking to classics from 30 years ago and selecting a few songs to be beaten the hell out of so it is like nails on the chalk board has always been the NYC strategy. That does not work here or anywhere, never has and obvious to everyone listening why it was doomed for failure.

I bet 92.3 will have it's best month this year because they finally got it right. Something they could have done long before. They will never admit to it and probably say it was that last week of the book for WINS why the ratings will be so good this month.

My guess is that Alt 92.3 HD2 will sound quite similar to the current Alt 92.3. This is based on what Audacy has done with New York's Country 94.7 HD2. It carries many of the same personalities that were heard on the Country station, when it was on the primary signal. This is through the local afternoon drive show, and national Country programming the rest of the day. Unfortunately, mornings remain automated, as Audacy apparently doesn't have a national morning Country show.

As Audacy chases the nursing home demographic by flipping the main channel ALT 92.3 to a 1010 WINS simulcast, where will ALT listeners go if they want the existing format or new Alternative that existed on HD2?

It is sad that they sound great now, too bad they did not do what they are doing now months ago. They say the existing format will go to HD, but one wonders will it be the same as it is now and how long will that really last.

So which Audacy stream will the radio refugees be able to find the current incarnation of what is on 92.3 main channel and HD2 after 10/27?

Just some ramblings below of other options I think will be mentioned. Maybe someone can add to the list of options.

For OTA:

Some will say, WFUV, but it is really slim pickings there. Very few hours of ALT, allot of other programming, it is a mess. (the ratings should really list the station as variety instead of ALT).

107.1 The Peak. If you are lucky and depending on when you listen there will be a good cross section of ALT, mixed with some new but allot of Classic Rock. Still nothing like the full time Alternative that exists on 92.3 or New Arrivals on 92.3 HD2 unless you are listening in on "New Releases Wednesday".
I think this however is really the only OTA option for Alternative if you can pick it up.

Streaming:

Audacy: New Arrivals.

Spotify: ALT Now channel, or any of the Alternative Foundations channels.
And 105.5 WDHA for anyone who lives in NJ

Alt 92.3 is the proverbial tree in the forest that no one hears when it falls.

Its audience will scatter, and the impact will be barely noticeable to other stations in the market.

If you are able to get it WRRV on 92.7 is another option. They have been doing Alternative Rock since 1995.

What area does that cover?
Only a tiny sliver of the New York city market. It's a Middletown, NY signal. The city grade contour barely reaches West Milford, NJ, which I believe is in the NYC market.

I do really like WFOX 95.9, which serves the Stamford area. Great mix of active rock and some alt hits from the 90s and 2000s. They also play some currents these days. Right now, they're playing a great Alice in Chains song that I've not heard on any other FM station (or even SXM) in YEARS!

Last edited:
The only you can listened to alternative rock is WRRV at 96.9 which is in the Hudson Valley which would bring in a lot of listeners from the loss of “Alt 92.3”. If you want a better alternative rock station, you should go with WRRV.

If you are in Orange or Dutchess county, you are set but they do not make it past the mountains. All you get is 92.7 in Garden City.
The simulcast on 96.9 also gets drowned out by too much interference from WQHT on 97.1.

The only way I used to get it when when I had a directional antenna years ago. If I wanted WLIR I pointed it south, WRRV pointed it north and both came in great. In the car however forget about it.

Too bad Townsquare did not buy the 94.3 stick when it was in Pomona. They could have covered Rockland, Bergen and part of Westchester as well. Also too bad K-Love is operating on the construction permit for 94.3 to move it to NYC. This leaves no FM options for Rockland County. The FCC certainly sucks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom