• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What Radio Station will carry the Rams

While I still think the ideal home for the Rams is on any of the classic rock stations (including KCBS-FM's "Jack") If I was iheart/CC, I would go after them hard for KFI. KFI can offer the biggest signal, a 50,000 watt blowtorch that still covers most everything from Santa Barbara to San Diego, The infrequency of the games, with most being on dead-Sundays, meaning they will have minimal impact on the regular talk format, and KFI can leverage sports sister station KLAC for all of those mid-week specialty and call in shows these teams always insist on. They can schedule the specialty shows on KLAC around their baseball coverage and, boom, now the Rams have a huge presence on not one but two stations. I can hear the promos now: "Talk about the Rams all week on KLAC, listen to the games on Sunday on KFI".

And as much as I hate to give away free programming advice that really should be paid for, I am going to do it here. On Sundays, KFI carries the pre-game, game, and post-game as usual, but KLAC can do live game-only focused sports talk. Yes, no need to wait until after the game or until on Monday, the listeners can call in right during the game to badmouth the quarterback and coach and explain how they have all of the answers and it started way back when the team made the wrong draft picks last spring. Petros hosts of course (this is perfect for him). Voila, programming for two stations with one hot sports property.

Love it! :)

It is now less than 90 days before the Rams play their first pre-season game this year, and the biggest mystery in all of LA Radio right now is who will land the radio broadcasting rights and what is going on with the negotiations that they should be drawn out this long? By waiting so long to ink the deal both the Rams and their eventual radio partner are missing out on loads of free marketing and publicity trumpeting the return of the NFL to LA and bragging (ahem, I mean promotional) announcements for the station.

I remember when CC first landed the rights for the Dodgers for a new five year contract several years ago, it was announced almost a full year in advance while the Dodgers were still on KABC, but that didn't stop them from promoting and cross-promoting like crazy all of that time until the new season came around. I think Roy Laughlin was still running things over there then. Why the Rams would not want to lock the deal down and let a local station blare the news and promote, promote, promote, for months on end is puzzling. Perhaps they are stoking a bidding war and feel that time is leverage that is on their side, and the end deal beats the foregone promotion opportunities. Who knows?

Dryer has had that show for some time, or at least has had a CRN show for some time.

CRN isn't going to pony up for the rights to the Rams. I imagine the team is looking for a station to pay big and commit to a long term deal and most of those interested would prefer to have an off ramp if NFL interest doesn't actually explode in LA.

There was a reason both NFL franchises left in the mid-90s and the 2nd largest media market in the country was without a franchise for more than two decades, and it wasn't because the NFL wanted to stick it to a huge fan base. The LA area is, to put it mildly, fickle when it comes to football. Further both iHeart and Cumulus are not exactly flush with cash right now.

Someone will obtain the rights, but I don't see it being a blockbuster deal.

Their birthplace was Cleveland (1936 AFL #2, 1937-45 NFL), but given that they spent 49 seasons (1946-94) in Los Angeles, that should really be considered their "hometown."

Besides, there's still no absolute guarantee that they're moving back, although IIRC a final decision will be made soon after the Super Bowl. But even if they do, what makes anyone think that the LA fans will welcome them back?

And the home of the Dodgers is, was and always will be Brooklyn. How do you people like having a team stolen out from under you? Isn't karma great!

Dryer has had that show for some time, or at least has had a CRN show for some time.

CRN isn't going to pony up for the rights to the Rams. I imagine the team is looking for a station to pay big and commit to a long term deal and most of those interested would prefer to have an off ramp if NFL interest doesn't actually explode in LA.

I wasn't thinking so much of CRN picking up the option on the Rams but rather Dryer becoming part of the pre-game show or even in he box with CRN's blessing. It would boost his own program and since iHeart carries CRN along with its other offerings its a natural fit. That said, you're right about Iheart's financial constraints.

Last edited:
Don Barrett has a current item today (prior to the reruns of earlier postings):

KSWD 100.3 and KSPN 710 are the new El Lay radio flagships for the Rams.

Don Barrett has a current item today (prior to the reruns of earlier postings):

KSWD 100.3 and KSPN 710 are the new El Lay radio flagships for the Rams.
Is this official or a patented Don Barrett blind item click bait piece?

If true, I'm somewhat surprised that KSWD threw down but I guess they had to do something since KLOS is having a bit of a resurgence of late with Heidi & Frank being wildly popular (IMHO, I don't understand why) and Jonsey's Jukebox getting parked there for afternoons (which I do get). KSWD under Entercom has a little bit more wiggle room of available monetary funds than Cumulus who are trying to stop the bleeding in an already debt strapped blood flow nationally.

Now how the Mouse and Entercom will be able to play nice with each other is another story but with Disney having no owned FM outlets that I'm aware of they'll just have to deal with the pairing.

That again solely rides on if Don hit the bullseye or is just blindly throwing darts.

Is this official or a patented Don Barrett blind item click bait piece?

If true, I'm somewhat surprised that KSWD threw down but I guess they had to do something since KLOS is having a bit of a resurgence of late with Heidi & Frank being wildly popular (IMHO, I don't understand why) and Jonsey's Jukebox getting parked there for afternoons (which I do get). KSWD under Entercom has a little bit more wiggle room of available monetary funds than Cumulus who are trying to stop the bleeding in an already debt strapped blood flow nationally.

Now how the Mouse and Entercom will be able to play nice with each other is another story but with Disney having no owned FM outlets that I'm aware of they'll just have to deal with the pairing.

That again solely rides on if Don hit the bullseye or is just blindly throwing darts.

Interesting how it worked out. I and several others predicted KSWD (I thought they had better management and cash flow to pull it off over what I would have considered to be their stiffest competition, Cumulus' KLOS). They even have that two station symetry I talked about earlier, but I don't think anyone saw a collaboration between Entercom and Disney (or anyone else for that matter).

The Rams pulled off a great deal by getting on both the leading sports station (by brand) and a great FM that will promote them like crazy, but most importatly, probably extracting fees from both of them close to what they would have received for exclusive rights.

Last edited:
And the home of the Dodgers is, was and always will be Brooklyn. How do you people like having a team stolen out from under you? Isn't karma great!

Were it not for Jackie Robinson, the Brooklyn Dodgers would be just about forgotten today other than by hard-core baseball fans/historians. The New York Baseball Giants pretty much are -- Willie Mays is the last link to that team AFAIK. It's been almost 60 years since they left for LA and SF, respectively, and their old-time fans are dying off.

Last edited:
Were it not for Jackie Robinson, the Brooklyn Dodgers would be just about forgotten today other than by hard-core baseball fans/historians. The New York Baseball Giants pretty much are -- Willie Mays is the last link to that team AFAIK. It's been almost 60 years since they left for LA and SF, respectively, and their old-time fans are dying off.

They have been forgotten in the City of Homes and Churches. The A's have been forgotten in Philly. The Braves have been forgotten in Boston. The Browns have been forgotten in St. Louis. Even the Giants have been forgotten in New York. But da Bums have not been forgotten. One-third of the US population either lives in, has lived in or is descended from someone in Brooklyn.

Dunno about hyperbole, but the Nurse and I've purchased several bridges from Brooklyn in our lifetimes!

At least a bridge over the Salt River.

Which somehow reminds me of those 70's jingles "Air-ih-zohna has an ocean".

Hold Everything...Maybe Robnoxious is on to something. I just did a search on the KSWD website, the ESPN 710 website, and the LA Rams website and found a grand total of ZERO mentions of these stations being awarded the broadcast rights. In fact, the only place I saw anything about this when the story first broke here a few days ago was on a Rams fansite. The fansite seamed real enough (pause for ironic laughter), with quotes from executives of both ESPN and Entercom. What is up with that? If I was the manager at one of these stations, I would be having my webmaster blaring this all over the website just as soon as the announcement was made public.

I have been out of town for the last week, so now I am not sure if a public announcement ever was made and if either of these stations have acknowledged anything on-air. If so, this is the worst online publicity machine ever by all three parties, and if not, what is exactly going on?

I have been out of town for the last week, so now I am not sure if a public announcement ever was made and if either of these stations have acknowledged anything on-air. If so, this is the worst online publicity machine ever by all three parties, and if not, what is exactly going on?

Whomever party/parties secure the broadcasting rights for the Rams will put it on full blast from now until the 2016 Kickoff and beyond.
It's still far too quiet on the western coast front.
Too too quiet.

Don dropped a click bait "scoop", nothing more to read into it than that.
Is it fair to say, Don has become the HuffPo, NewsMax, Vox of LA Radio?
I think so.
He might need another pledge drive to keep from retiring the site fully (for what, the sixumpteenth time?)

Last edited:
If I was the manager at one of these stations, I would be having my webmaster blaring this all over the website just as soon as the announcement was made public.

The rights are controlled by the NFL. Anything that happens needs to be done in concert with them. The station can't really act alone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom