• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What Radio Station will carry the Rams

Their birthplace was Cleveland (1936 AFL #2, 1937-45 NFL), but given that they spent 49 seasons (1946-94) in Los Angeles, that should really be considered their "hometown."

Besides, there's still no absolute guarantee that they're moving back, although IIRC a final decision will be made soon after the Super Bowl. But even if they do, what makes anyone think that the LA fans will welcome them back?

The LA fans been waiting since 1995 when the previous owner decided to move the Rams to St. Louis.

I dunno. A bunch of people I know in and around El A seem to think they already have two semi-pro teams there and are successful. I would have thought the same as you, and perhaps 10 or 15 years ago that feeling was true, but I wonder now if enough fans really care.

The LA fans been waiting since 1995 when the previous owner decided to move the Rams to St. Louis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the Raiders had a bigger fanbase than the Rams did. And USC had more fans than both NFL teams combined. After all, there was a reason both teams left.

This has always seemed to me that this is more of a "We want Market #2" effort from the networks than an effort to bring back one or both (plus the Chargers?) for the fans' benefit.

This has always seemed to me that this is more of a "We want Market #2" effort from the networks than an effort to bring back one or both (plus the Chargers?) for the fans' benefit.

The networks make a lot of money with the Packers, and that's not a big market. The networks need winners.

The networks make a lot of money with the Packers, and that's not a big market. The networks need winners.

The networks need big markets that the advertisers like, more than just winners -- at least, that's the impression I get from watching all of the networks. That's why the NFC East is still money, no matter how bad they are, and they're the worst division in the league right now, top to bottom. The NFL (and college football, as well) is far less big-market-centric than the other sports as far as fan interest goes, but who are the advertisers targeting? I'm guessing that they're not as concerned about Green Bay/Milwaukee, New Orleans, Buffalo, and Jacksonville than they are about the Top 10.

I'm guessing that they're not as concerned about Green Bay/Milwaukee, New Orleans, Buffalo, and Jacksonville than they are about the Top 10.

There are a lot of dog teams in bigger markets that you don't see on Sunday or Monday nights. That's how you determine the value of a team. St. Louis is one of those markets. The Rams won't draw much attention regardless of their base city unless they start winning. Green Bay and New Orleans bring in fan bases from outside of their direct markets. People will watch Dallas when they lose. Not sure if the Rams or the Raiders can make that claim.

They need big markets, but if the local fans don't watch, it doesn't matter. There are cheaper ways to come in last in LA. My sense is the driving force in LA is local money that's trying to create a new attraction on some relatively cheap land.

There are a lot of dog teams in bigger markets that you don't see on Sunday or Monday nights. That's how you determine the value of a team. St. Louis is one of those markets. The Rams won't draw much attention regardless of their base city unless they start winning. Green Bay and New Orleans bring in fan bases from outside of their direct markets. People will watch Dallas when they lose. Not sure if the Rams or the Raiders can make that claim.

They need big markets, but if the local fans don't watch, it doesn't matter. There are cheaper ways to come in last in LA. My sense is the driving force in LA is local money that's trying to create a new attraction on some relatively cheap land.

Look at the NBC SNF schedule for this season. 11 of the 16 weeks involve the Patriots and/or one or more NFC East teams. Week 16 is still officially TBD but is still shown as Giants/Vikings, and there won't be a Week 17 game unless one or two playoff spots are still up for grabs.

You don't think NBC is drooling over the possibility of the Rams getting out of St. Louis and back to LA next year, no matter how bad they've been since Kurt Warner left? You think NBC cares how many butts are in the seats and how much talk there is on LA sports radio, just as long as the national advertisers know that they're playing in Los Angeles again?

You think NBC cares how many butts are in the seats and how much talk there is on LA sports radio, just as long as the national advertisers know that they're playing in Los Angeles again?

No they don't. That's why they don't care about any of this. Unless they're part-owners.

As I said, they will get clearance for all national games in LA regardless who plays. So the game and the spots will air in LA even if Buffalo is playing Tennessee. Which sounds like a terrible game. A lot of people watch SNF because it's the only game on that night, regardless of who the teams are.

It really only matters in the playoffs and the Super Bowl. Because if LA isn't in the Super Bowl, they probably won't watch. But if the fans have no real loyalty, you get about the same result. That's the problem with carpet-bagging. That's the long term story here. The fans of both the Rams and the Raiders are just plain tired of being jerked around. How is that good for business?

That's why the NFC East is still money, no matter how bad they are, and they're the worst division in the league right now, top to bottom. The NFL (and college football, as well) is far less big-market-centric than the other sports as far as fan interest goes, but who are the advertisers targeting? I'm guessing that they're not as concerned about Green Bay/Milwaukee, New Orleans, Buffalo, and Jacksonville than they are about the Top 10.

I'll see your NFC East and raise you an AFC South, Keith. The Colts are bad, bad, bad and they are STILL going to walk away with the division. I'm also here to tell you that the NFL doesn't care about its Top 10 markets as much as you think. Houston has been an NFL host city for nearly 50 years, and it is an absolute afterthought in the eyes of the League. The only, and I mean only, reason Houston received a replacement expansion team for the Oilers was because the leadership in L.A. didn't have your act together at the turn of the century. There'd be no Texans, and we'd be leaving Baltimore in the rearview right now for longest tenure without a franchise had Angelinos put a suitable plan in place to return the NFL back to the city.

Last edited:
Because if LA isn't in the Super Bowl, they probably won't watch.

That's another angle I forgot about. With a team in LA, they're back in the Super Bowl rotation. Hollywood has to be drooling over that prospect. An LA team in the game is irrelevant in this context. It's the game itself in LA that matters.

That's another angle I forgot about. With a team in LA, they're back in the Super Bowl rotation. Hollywood has to be drooling over that prospect. An LA team in the game is irrelevant in this context. It's the game itself in LA that matters.

But then again, what do the networks care if it doesn't mean more viewers? That's all inside football, as they say.

As I said, this is being driven by local money, not national networks.

To answer the original question, the old KMPC (mow KSPN) would be the historic natural choice, although no doubt KLAC or KFWB Would love to have them. Problem is, KLAC is now partly owned by the dodgers and KFWB is in a trust waiting to be sold. So my guess would be KSPN.

But then again, what do the networks care if it doesn't mean more viewers? That's all inside football, as they say.

I think it would mean more national viewers -- not that they're hurting in the first place.

As I said, this is being driven by local money, not national networks.

You sure the networks aren't aiding and abetting this -- especially CBS, who has the short straw when it comes to major market teams?

How would that change? The Rams are NFC, and most NFC games are on Fox.

Fox has been throwing NFC bones to CBS all season. Besides, there's a better chance of an AFC team in LA in '16 than an NFC team. Either the Raiders or the Chargers are just about guaranteed to be playing at either the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl next season. I think the fans want the Raiders, but the Chargers have the out-clause that they can exercise after this season.

To answer the original question, the old KMPC (mow KSPN) would be the historic natural choice, although no doubt KLAC or KFWB Would love to have them. Problem is, KLAC is now partly owned by the dodgers and KFWB is in a trust waiting to be sold. So my guess would be KSPN.

Of the three, only KLAC has a full enough metro coverage area to be fully supportive of the "new" team.

KFWB is, today, a really limited signal and 710 is in trouble when sunset occurs... which is pretty early in the winter months.

Better still would be a compatible FM. It does not have to be a sports station, just one that would have the signal to cover the whole market well.

Yeah. I think they are waiting to be sold to Godot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom