• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What Radio Station will carry the Rams

On the TV side, the Rams have chosen KCBS, for both pre-season games and the coach's show.

http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2016/06/tv-deal-signed-for-l-a-rams-preseason-games/

Still no evidence on either KSPN's or KSWD's website that would indicate a deal has been inked. The only mentions online that I have seen are on Ram fans' websites and on Barrett's twitter feed, which has lost something in the reliability department of late. Why so secretive when massive amounts of publicity are what is called for? How the whole negotiation and awarding of the rights (if in fact they really have been issued) has unfolded is quite perplexing. I have not listened to KSPN over the last few weeks, but I have heard several hours worth of KSWD, and so far, nothing but radio silence there.

Well, the radio silence is over and the expected official release and related pomp and circumstance is here. Still KSPN as the flagship and the Sound as the "FM partner". Here is the email I received from the Sound this morning:

100.3 The Sound Named Official FM Home of the LA Rams
I’m getting ready to go on the air with this news at 1:25 PM – after we finish up 100 minutes of Commercial Free Classic Rock -- but I want you to hear it first, ChannelFlipper. You’ve been such a big part of our success, and this marks the beginning of another exciting chapter.

The Los Angeles Rams just announced multi-year agreements with ESPN LA 710 AM to be the Rams’ flagship radio partner and with 100.3 The Sound to carry game-day broadcasts and be the Ram’s official FM home. The Rams press release is here ( http://thesoundla.com/2016/06/100-3-the-sound-named-official-fm-home-of-la-rams/ )

What this means for YOU: Southern California’s Classic Rock station will now be Southern California’s FM station for the LA Rams, including complete game day coverage – from pregame through play-by-play and post-game. The first pre-season game is August 13 against the Dallas Cowboys. Listen for the fun and excitement to continue on Mondays during Mark In The Morning, too.

Just like Mark, Uncle Joe, Rita Wilde, Cynthia Fox and me… The Rams found The Sound. And we couldn’t be prouder to be on the same station.

Todd Donoho
Sports Guy

Hmmm, seems Don was right all along.

No, he originally said it was iheart and a done deal.

When the unofficial word got out about a month ago that it was the KSPN/KSWD combo, he had to back off his "scoop" by saying "don't know what happened to iheart, it was theirs to lose".

I have a pretty good idea what happened: Don had a sole-sourced scoop that turned out to be unreliable.

Not knowing what the cohabitation of the Disney/Entercom deal entails I'd say KSWD benefited more from this.
KMPC err KSPN still has to power down for KDWN after sunset.
That's a coverage factor.

As one that listens to sports radio I can honestly say I have listened to 710 since just about never.
But that is more of a personal preference and not at all a scientific hypothesis.

100.3 will have a better consistent blast over the Southland during night games but unless this team becomes hot $h!t quickly this whole thing is really tilting at windmills.
The AM band is dead.

That said, I dunno if KSWD is the correct fit either.
We shall see.

KMPC err KSPN still has to power down for KDWN after sunset.
That's a coverage factor.

710 in LA significantly predates KDWN and therefore does not protect it. KDWN was licensed when the FCC chose to "break down" the Class 1-A clear channels in the 70's, allowing for stations that would serve gray areas. KSPN principally protects KIRO and WOR.

That said, I dunno if KSWD is the correct fit either.
We shall see.

It's definitely a lifestyle fit with The Sound's listeners.

Last edited:
It's definitely a lifestyle fit with The Sound's listeners.

Truthfully it won't matter. What we know is sports listeners will seek out what they want on whatever station it's on, regardless of format. We also know these games will be mostly on the weekends, so it won't negatively affect ratings. Still, given the station's current ratings, that doesn't mater either. This could be a major profit center for the station, and will basically pay for the music format, once the team becomes re-established.

The Rams, back in LA, back in the Coliseum, and back on 710. It was bound to happen.

Now all we need is Dick Enberg calling the action and Jim Healy providing the weekly scoops. Speaking of Jim, you just know he would use the clip of Bob Costas saying "Look, it's a wacky business" to describe this whole thing.

Also speaking of Jim, I see the really great site that fan John Speedie had of nearly all of Jim's great clips has been taken down. That is such a shame. Great broadcasters deserve to be remembered and Healy was certainly that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom