• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What happens to KLAA when the Angels are sold?

He asked why other stations don’t cover the Angels. Not klaa

Supply and demand. There simply isn't a lot of interest in the Angels unless they are winning, which they haven't done in nearly 20 years.

And despite their best efforts, the Angels are still widely perceived to be an OC product. To many residents of LA county and parts north, Anaheim might as well be in another state. The Clippers had an opportunity to go to OC years ago, but wisely passed. Much better to be the #2 team in LA than the only team in OC.

Arte Moreno must be rethinking his decision to not sell the Angels a year ago.

I think everyone knew Otani's days as a halo were over when he got injured. He's been a trending topic for a few days, and the videos have been very amusing, suggesting he would go to Toronto. I was pretty sure it would be a west coast team. No one is really surprised today.

As far as KLAA, it really doesn't matter anymore. It's just a way to merchandise the least important sports team in southern California.

I think everyone knew Otani's days as a halo were over when he got injured. He's been a trending topic for a few days, and the videos have been very amusing, suggesting he would go to Toronto. I was pretty sure it would be a west coast team. No one is really surprised today.

As far as KLAA, it really doesn't matter anymore. It's just a way to merchandise the least important sports team in southern California.
Either of the MLS teams might challenge for that "honor." Pretty sure MLS is something of a joke with most Mexican-American fans, who still have strong allegiances to their favorite Liga MX clubs. The NHL's Anaheim Ducks also might have a smaller fan base than the Angels,

“least important sports team in Southern California?” Nonsense!

The Angels drew 2.6 million fans in 2023, which was more than the WS champs, Texas Rangers. Good enough for 13th in all of MLB.

Angels have more fans than both MLS teams and both NHL teams and likely more than the Chargers and the Rams.

“least important sports team in Southern California?” Nonsense!

The Angels drew 2.6 million fans in 2023, which was more than the WS champs, Texas Rangers. Good enough for 13th in all of MLB.

Angels have more fans than both MLS teams and both NHL teams and likely more than the Chargers and the Rams.
I don't know of any specific numbers, but my guess is that they cannot convert the solid gate attendance to TV ratings (this has been the story for years).

It is the value of the local game rights that drives marginal franchise value in the MLB game. The Dodgers have it, the Angels do not.

The LLC is owned by Arte Moreno, who also owns the Angels. He paid $42 million for it. He will likely take a loss if he sells.
The station only partially covers the market, so it is worth less than many of the seemingly "lower power" stations.

If it sells as a stand-alone, I am guessing that it goes in the $8 million to $12 million range. Only if an inexperienced party over-bids might they get more.
Moreno will decide what assets he'll include in the sale of the team. The station would likely be part of a package.
I agree. The only way to get it sold for a decent value is to present it as part of the core values of the Angels ("core value of the Angels" may cause a few Angelinos to chuckle).

In 2017, the year before Otani became an Angel, the team drew 3,000,000 fans which was 7th best in MLB

Before Otani, there was Mike Trout. In 2017, he got his 1000th hit. Several other milestones.

Trout is not what he was in 2017, and Otani is gone. Thus, they will not be the team they were before.

How many of those are Otani fans? They won't be there in 2024.
None are Otani fans; Many are Ohtani fans. Nonetheless, that is largely irrelevant since the Angels have been drawing in the 3 million fans per season range for decades, long before Ohtani arrived. Ohtani certainly was a driver of incremental more attendance, especially Japanese tourists who very much planned vacations focused around visiting Angel stadium (a few of whom may have even stumbled onto AM 830), but to the comment of where the Angels place on the pecking order of SoCal professional sports team, they are much higher than the OP suggested... however admittedly do rank below the Dodgers and Lakers.

Bumping this thread up because Shohei Ohtani has signed with the Dodgers, $700 million for ten years.

The Monday (12/11) edition of The Sports Lodge with Roger Lodge will be a must-listen. Beyond that, Arte Moreno must be rethinking his decision to not sell the Angels a year ago.
$8,000.00 per hour, 24/7 for ten years. Seriously?

$8,000.00 per hour, 24/7 for ten years. Seriously?
Don't get me wrong as I am not for slave labor. Give the players their due.

What I mean is ... give the fans a break.

The player agents are thought to get only 20% of an endorsement deal. Player contracts I don't know. The drafting lawyers for contracts must take a chunk of this too. Come to think of it, what does Shohei Ohtani end up with? I would love to see where the money ultimately flows at the true conclusion these contracts. What does this have to do with radio? Not much, but the endorsement agent with his 140 mil could buy practically the whole AM band in Los Angeles if he could or even would.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong as I am not for slave labor. Give the players their due.

What I mean is ... give the fans a break.

The player agents are thought to get only 20% of an endorsement deal. Player contracts I don't know. The drafting lawyers for contracts must take a chunk of this too. Come to think of it, what does Shohei Ohtani end up with? I would love to see where the money ultimately flows at the true conclusion these contracts. What does this have to do with radio? Not much, but the endorsement agent with his 140 mil could buy practically the whole AM band in Los Angeles if he could or even would.
Well, all those endorsements deals Shohei has are all going up the 5 with him from Anaheim. Those radio commercials for Yakult drinkable yogurt will sound much more professionally-produced on KLAC than they did on KLAA. 😆

Least important sports team? The Anaheim Ducks would like a word

Well, all those endorsements deals Shohei has are all going up the 5 with him from Anaheim. Those radio commercials for Yakult drinkable yogurt will sound much more professionally-produced on KLAC than they did on KLAA. 😆
Those commercials are more than likely produced by the advertiser’s ad agency, not the radio station.

I heard the opening monologue and the Mark Langston interview. A bit of scorched earth, wishing Shohei well but not too well mixed with rose-colored optimism for next season.

I'm just wondering how the fans are gonna sound off and how KLAA will handle it.
It just doesnt matter at this point. KLAA, and the Angels will lose money, and the team will lose 80 + games again. There’s nothing KLAA can do. It‘s just sad it wasn’t long ago they had a lineup of batters that were feared and pitchers who were unhittable.

Back
Top Bottom