• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Washington/Baltimore Arbitron Ratings: Holiday 2012

This breakdown shows that Jason Kidd and Angelique Alston need to make some major tweaks to musical programming. WPGC was only in the top 5 (at #5) with 18-34 while their competition WKYS and Hot was way ahead at #1 and #2 respectively.

kilamanjero said:
This breakdown shows that Jason Kidd and Angelique Alston need to make some major tweaks to musical programming. WPGC was only in the top 5 (at #5) with 18-34 while their competition WKYS and Hot was way ahead at #1 and #2 respectively.
I agree with you but I believe that they were in this same situation last year and the ratings went up. With PPM I think that this will pretty much be the sitauation with WPGC and there up and down ratings. IMO the thing for them is (Ad Billing revenew numbers) thats the key for WPGC IMO post dairies the revenew numbers and ratings DO NOT add up with a bunch of stations in PPM. They might as well have keep it straight Urban an been a carbon copy of WVEE and left Big Tigger in morning drive IMO.

Yeah, that's what I feel they are relying upon is overall annual billing as a justification of status quo. However, but this is the first year they have actually gone back to rhythmic versus being still an urban in the past 3 years. If they continue with this slump then Jason and Angelique are going to need to start tweaking it (with those mentioned recommendations with R&B music). WKYS is eating their lunch at this point and sooner than later will they start encroaching upon WPGC's reliable advertisers that specifically target black listeners.

Oh yeah, Darian (Big Tigger) wouldn't have stayed in DC. Reggie Rouse wanted him in Atlanta because Frank Ski was going to jump ship sooner than later. Ryan Cameron would had to moved up to mornings, so Big Tigger was a seen stable replacement versus Kenny Burns, whom bounces all over the place for club promotions.

kilamanjero said:
Yeah, that's what I feel they are relying upon is overall annual billing as a justification of status quo. However, but this is the first year they have actually gone back to rhythmic versus being still an urban in the past 3 years. If they continue with this slump then Jason and Angelique are going to need to start tweaking it (with those mentioned recommendations with R&B music). WKYS is eating their lunch at this point and sooner than later will they start encroaching upon WPGC's reliable advertisers that specifically target black listeners.

Oh yeah, Darian (Big Tigger) wouldn't have stayed in DC. Reggie Rouse wanted him in Atlanta because Frank Ski was going to jump ship sooner than later. Ryan Cameron would had to moved up to mornings, so Big Tigger was a seen stable replacement versus Kenny Burns, whom bounces all over the place for club promotions.
In the end though billing is more important than ratings. After 5 years I think that we can see that there ratings will go back up its been a 5 year PPM ratings roller coaster ride. I think that Darian"Big Tigger"Morgan made more money doing mornings in DC than doing afternoons in the ATL. He never wanted to leave the DMV or WPGC according to his tweeter he considered it home but it does not matter now I was just saying what they might as well have done. We will see what happens but WKYS just does not bill as well as WPGC does and I think that CBS knows that. Also they have left themselves room to flex it back to straight Urban its a tweener station right now.

donta1974 said:
In the end though billing is more important than ratings. After 5 years I think that we can see that there ratings will go back up its been a 5 year PPM ratings roller coaster ride. I think that Darian"Big Tigger"Morgan made more money doing mornings in DC than doing afternoons in the ATL. He never wanted to leave the DMV or WPGC according to his tweeter he considered it home but it does not matter now I was just saying what they might as well have done. We will see what happens but WKYS just does not bill as well as WPGC does and I think that CBS knows that. Also they have left themselves room to flex it back to straight Urban its a tweener station right now.

No doubt, to CBS (and any company these days) sales/billing is the end-all-be-all. However, I just fear CBS will try to be as stupid as they were in Orlando and try to chase an unobtainable target (also owned by CC). The DMV's black community way too large (28% black) for CBS to do something that dumb with WPGC, but you cannot count on anything these days. On their ratings, I don't think WPGC will ever be a overall #1 in all demos station again post-PPM, but they could definitely pull themselves back into the top 3 for 18-34 along with the 25-54 demographics (in certain dayparts). CBS knows 25-54 blacks is the huge moneymaker demographic group that could provide a sufficient reasoning for them to bring back R&B-lean. Finally, I agree they are definitely a 18-34 year old ('tweener') station at the moment, but that is no excuse for them to omit go-go music from their overall playlist.

On Big Tigger, he is making way more money in Atlanta than he was the DMV overall. V-103 has the ATL club scene on lock, so nearly any their on-air personalities (if they wanted it) can make just as much doing club/events as they do with the station itself. He has already secured a Friday night gig with the 3rd largest club in Atlanta and it airs on V-103 live for the first 2 hours. He might have considered the DMV home, but I think he realized how much he could bank from this ATL business venture.

kilamanjero said:
donta1974 said:

No doubt, to CBS (and any company these days) sales/billing is the end-all-be-all. However, I just fear CBS will try to be as stupid as they were in Orlando and try to chase an unobtainable target (also owned by CC). The DMV's black community way too large (28% black) for CBS to do something that dumb with WPGC, but you cannot count on anything these days. On their ratings, I don't think WPGC will ever be a overall #1 in all demos station again post-PPM, but they could definitely pull themselves back into the top 3 for 18-34 along with the 25-54 demographics (in certain dayparts). CBS knows 25-54 blacks is the huge moneymaker demographic group that could provide a sufficient reasoning for them to bring back R&B-lean. Finally, I agree they are definitely a 18-34 year old ('tweener') station at the moment, but that is no excuse for them to omit go-go music from their overall playlist.

On Big Tigger, he is making way more money in Atlanta than he was the DMV overall. V-103 has the ATL club scene on lock, so nearly any their on-air personalities (if they wanted it) can make just as much doing club/events as they do with the station itself. He has already secured a Friday night gig with the 3rd largest club in Atlanta and it airs on V-103 live for the first 2 hours. He might have considered the DMV home, but I think he realized how much he could bank from this ATL business venture.
Tigger maybe making more than 2 million a year in the ATL his reported WPGC salary if so good for him. WPGC and most of the DMV as well as him have all moved on. WPGC is fine without him he did not have a job up here so good luck to him. I agree you never know what these companies will do but to totally abandon black listeners in DC/Balto would be a misstake for CBS. WPGC was Top 3 18-34 most of 2012 even being number 1 in that demo in July this slump is recent like november recent. That was according to the PPM research director from last summer and last year.

In the end..V-103 & WPGC are 2 of the most respected Urbans or Rythmic's in the country. Tigger made BIG money when he moved to mornings at WPGC (not that he wasn't already making BIG money doing afernoons) but he's better as an afternoon jock. He's making BIG BUCKS weather at PGC or V-103. And who wouldn't want to be in Atlanta? Plus he's still doing his syndicated countdown show. He's doing just fine. Great guy too.

iloveradio93173 said:
In the end..V-103 & WPGC are 2 of the most respected Urbans or Rythmic's in the country. Tigger made BIG money when he moved to mornings at WPGC (not that he wasn't already making BIG money doing afernoons) but he's better as an afternoon jock. He's making BIG BUCKS weather at PGC or V-103. And who wouldn't want to be in Atlanta? Plus he's still doing his syndicated countdown show. He's doing just fine. Great guy too.
I agree he is doing just fine and WPGC is actually doing fine from a billing standpoint as they usually are.(They are In a little ratings slump right now) but they are fine as is Tigger,but let`s not act as if he willfully left WPGC they both went in different directions format wise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom