• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Usher Plays Super Bowl Halftime

why don't they just make the half time show a non event again since no one counter programs it anyone? bring back Up With People and Elvis Presto, they're probably cheap

Why would they book an unknown nobody to "perform" at halftime, when sponsorships from Apple and formerly Pepsi allow them to book well-known acts and bring in millions from those sponsorships in the process? Regarding your comments about little-known performers being "probably cheap", according to one particular website, the Super Bowl generates nearly $67 Million in ticket sales alone (to say nothing of what they make from commercial ad sales) and the Super Bowl generates about $14 Billion overall in profits. That in mind, I don't think they need to worry about the costs of booking decent acts to perform. Keep in mind that when the Elvis Presto guy performed all the way back in 1989 (so 34 full years ago now) it was because the originally scheduled headline performer baled out a few days before The Big Game. Also, times were very different 34 years ago than they are now. If they tried to book a nobody to perform or to make it a "non event" as you suggest, organizers would be slaughtered.

In some recent years, depending on the teams playing and the performer booked, sometimes there was as much if not more interest and hype over the halftime show as there was in the actual football game. The year Beyonce performed, I remember seeing a bunch of internet memes indicating people were excited for the Beyonce concert that Sunday, which happened to be framed by a football game.

“Supposedly” isn’t exactly what one calls a certainty, let alone the reason one might decline.

And let’s assume she did in fact decline a formal offer to perform for no reason other than she didn’t want to be part of the game. That’s precisely…pausing to count…it appears to be one person named here that is presented as “everyone.” Even taking “everyone” as obviously figurative, one person is not an everyone.

With all this talk of Rock and Roll geezers, keep in mind that Usher is no spring chicken either! Although he was quite young, it's been thirty years since he first hit the Urban Contemporary charts. And Usher's most popular song "Yeah" was out nineteen years ago! So, you may have some younger R&B fans who feel the same way about Usher's geezer status, LOL!
I didn't know he was this old, but I was watching some TV series where a group of young people had never heard of him.

It might have been "Children Ruin Everything" since the wife feels old among her co-workers. Or it could have been "Run the Burbs" where there are teenage girls. There are college students on "The Irrational". Maybe that's it.

There's nothing random about finding out Usher is someone so old there are young people who never heard of him.

Super Bowl LVIII pregame festivities headlined by Reba McEntire, Post Malone, Andra Day​

The Super Bowl LVIII pregame performers are a secret no more. On Thursday morning, the lineup was finally revealed on social media.
Country music legend Reba McEntire will sing the national anthem, rapper Post Malone will provide his rendition of "America the Beautiful," and R&B artist Andra Day will perform "Lift Every Voice and Sing" when the championship is played at Las Vegas' Allegiant Stadium on Feb. 11.
Usher was announced as the Super Bowl's halftime performer in September. All of the performances can be watched on CBS' broadcast of the game.

Super Bowl LVIII pregame festivities headlined by Reba McEntire, Post Malone, Andra Day​

Does anyone really understand the archaic Roman numeral system used for the Bowl games?

Even after 6 years of Latin, I have to go, “well, L is 50 and V is 5 and then…” until I can come up with the number I understand.

I may be. But artists like J-Lo, Shakira, Rhianna, The Weeknd, and the Dre/Snoop/Eminem/Mary K. Bilge/Kendrick Lamar have widespread appeal, and are not monolithic. Jay Z. is coming up on his fourth show. Let’s look at the preceding half century and do the math as to which types of artists were and weren’t included for years.

Back
Top Bottom