• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

THE ONE FOR COUNTRY, SINCE 1966 - ANY WHIM 1110 ALUMNI OUT THERE ???

I did the weekend afternoons in '81-'82. I worked with Allen and O'Brien, did some remotes and had a pretty good time. Country was just starting to reinvent itself, not a bad time. I later went to WCTK, I was the first new hire after they went Country in 88, and was eventually replaced Jim O'Brien in the mornings. I left for WOGY Memphis in December '92.
Barrett Lee

The Passing Of The Great Tom Allen (Haughey)

So many of my childhood memories include WHIM 1110
I stumbled across this thread while searching the web for info about my father and his days at WHIM.
It was nice to read about him here...thank you for that. This time in his life was one that he enjoyed telling stories about for the rest of his life.
Dad passed away on 09/13/2014. After leaving radio he went on to do many things. But when I close my eyes today I can still hear his smooth, strong voice...just like when I was a little girl listening to him on the radio.
God Bless and Be Well,
Shannon Haughey-Murphy

Thomas J. Haughey

HONOLULU, HI - Thomas John Haughey, 68, of Honolulu, HI, died in Kuakini Medical Center on Sept. 13, 2014.
Born in Rhode Island on Feb. 22, 1946, to the late Ernest W. Haughey and Margaret (Flynn) Haughey, he was one of 5 children, the second oldest of four boys and is predeceased by his one younger sister Margaret "Bunny" (Haughey) Hopkins.
He is survived by his brothers John, Bill and Gordon, his son and daughter in law, Michael and Carolyn Haughey of Griswold, CT, his daughters and sons-in-law Shannon & Frederic Murphy and Kristen & William Moore, all of Burrillville, RI, his companion Robyn Vierra and nine wonderful grandchildren.
As his father was a military man, Thomas lived in Rhode Island, England, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, Nebraska, and graduated from high school in the Azores, a true "military brat".
Thomas attended college in Germany for a short time and graduated from Emerson College in Boston, MA, with a degree in communications. He was also a Veteran, Sergeant First Class, of the Army National Guard.
He held many jobs: Radio DJ and general manager of a Country & Western station in E. Providence where he was the morning show's personality known as "Tom Allen" on WHIM 1110AM. He also was a salesman, short and long haul tractor trailer truck driver, motorcycle mechanic, funeral home sales director, computer peripherals salesman, and the last job before having to medically retire was as a computer network instructor for Compaq and Tech Data where he taught network function, building and management to students all over the country.
He was a very smart man who worked extremely hard for his children and his family. He enjoyed riding motorcycles, spending time with loved ones, and was an insatiable reader. His children fondly remember him as the kind of father who would have his pilot friend land a helicopter in the back yard of their home to take them for a ride...just to see the look in their eyes! Always one for an adventure, he was.
A Catholic Funeral Mass will be held for all friends and family on Saturday, Dec 20th at 11:00am at St. Joseph Church, 183 Sayles Avenue, Pascoag, RI, with a celebration of his life to follow at The Pines Restaurant 1204 Pound Hill Road, North Smithfield, RI. Calling hours omitted.

I wanted to pass this along: yesterday (Thursday, January 22nd), Dan Williams died, aged 64. He was my mentor when I started at WHIM/1450 as a high school senior in the summer/fall of 1996. He was on WHIM-AM-FM from the '70s-'90s. A loss in Rhode Island radio.

Tom Allen, Danny Williams

I just saw the posts about the passing of these two former WHIM announcers. Between the two of them, Tom and Danny logged many years at the Mighty WHIM. I have many fond memories of listening to them both. Tom was a long time morning man and he took over that spot from Pappy Philbrook in the 70s. Very funny guy with a quick wit. Tom teamed up with Jim O'Brien later on in the 80's on what was called the Jim and Tom show, which was one of the first team morning shows in Southern New England. Danny Williams had great pipes. I remember when he first started at WHIM taking over the 6pm - midnight shift on 94.1 from long time night guy Lee Fraser. He took over the morning show for a while in the '90s and really had it sounding smooth and professional on what was most likely a shoestring budget. RIP guys and thanks for the memories.

OK heard or read Ann Carter, some where today. Then i thought of pulling Jim Reposa out of a snow bank? hearing Jim O'Brien on a Ford Commercial just wondering if any one still Kicking ?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom