• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

THE ONE FOR COUNTRY, SINCE 1966 - ANY WHIM 1110 ALUMNI OUT THERE ???

Worked with Ray Daulton, Kevin McAteer(at both WHIM and WRIB) and knew M-R from our days at WRIU. Sadly, M-R(MarionRose)died young.....

DG02816 said:
Worked with Ray Daulton, Kevin McAteer(at both WHIM and WRIB) and knew M-R from our days at WRIU. Sadly, M-R(MarionRose)died young.....
RI Radio Nut brought back lots of memories, and thanks for also remembering me on that earlier list. The pay was poor, but the memories were rich. Hard to explain, exactly, unless you were there...and, as I said before, just about everyone in RI radio worked there, at one time or another. We'd need a room at the convention center for that reunion. Don't forget our fearless leader, the quiet man, Dick Allen.

Isn't 1460 Brockton now WXBR? Their 5 kW ND day signal used to get out well. Dominant when 1450 West Warwick was off....

Wow, what a memory jog! In 1971 (I think it was that year,) I did weekend work on WHIM AM & FM. My full time gig was 1450 WSVP during the Drake format changeover with Bill Hennessy at the consulting helm, along with Chuck Morgan, Jack Casey, and Bob Laurence. My name at WSVP was Jay Sean Connors, but Norm, who was the PD at WHIM at the time, wanted something different and chose Clarke Davis, which I use today. They divided Sunday up into two different shifts, and David Frost did the morning, and I did the afternoon/evening. It was a pretty long shift, from 2:00 PM in the afternoon until midnight. AM & FM was simoulcast then, from Eastern Avenue. I used to have to shut down the AM transmitter at sundown, and keep the 50,000 watt FM going til midnight. Surprisingly, I used to get some "fan mail" from as far away as Cape Cod. The studio was one of the nicest I had ever worked in, a kidney shaped desk with four very quick turntables, and one of the largest monitors I've ever seen anywhere. Pappy Philbrook did a really great job outfitting that place up.

Because I grew up listening to Joe Thomas, Chuck Stevens, and Jim Mendes, I had some pretty unorthadox role models and I had no idea how unique each of those broadcasters was, until I moved out of the market. There was something magical and very "Big Time" sounding about WHIM compared with other stations in the market that got better ratings, and had a bigger signal. Ken Garland did mornings there before going to WIP in Philly after a brief time at WJAR. I loved working at WHIM, because the reverb made everyone sound better, and they had an automatic time tone on the hour that sounded better than NBC's, a rich languid tone that Pappy must have fine tuned himself somehow.

All in all it was an excellent broadcast experience, even if it was just part time weekends. WSVP made major ripples in the Providence market from all the way over in West Warwick, and it was fun to be a part of the changeover from a WYRE, Annapolis clone to a WRKO clone. I remember being schooled in all the techniques, "It's eight ten", not it's ten after eight, etc. At the bottom of the hour, we had to say under the tymps "It's nine-thirty at the Golden 1450" then Johnny Jann singers would come in with WSVP, West Warwick. I worked with Big Ange when he did mornings on WYNG, Warwick as "Jack Andrews", and thought Joe Thomas and Chuck Stevens were the best DJs in Rhode Island. I remember them both being on WICE on Sunday nights for a while, and Joe was absolutely the worst board guy ever on 1290. He did much better on WHIM, and later WPRO. Chuck was just a one of a kind, throw away the mold, total Rhode Island personality unlike any before, or after. I remember Joe Thomas being on WPAW before it changed to WXTR and played oldies all day long. Guess I'm revealing my age here, lol.

Jim Mendes & Chuck Stevens have both passed. Everyone knows Ange is alive & well, but no one has ever been able to say what happened to Joe Thomas.

Anyone remember Jack Burns of WRIB, WPAW, and WICE? Or Dave Chafee on WHIM? or Pat Patterson on WICE? Bill Corsair, WICE?

abcparamount said:
Anyone remember Jack Burns of WRIB, WPAW, and WICE? Or Dave Chafee on WHIM? or Pat Patterson on WICE? Bill Corsair, WICE?
Do you mean Jack "On the Scene News" Burns, from WPRI CH 12 ?

I do remember hearing Bill Corsair on WICE. Later on he had a show on WCAU in Philadelphia I could hear it pretty good on my old transistor when all the all the daytimers signed off. He was very entertaining. Not sure of the year, perhaps the early 70's.

I think that Bill Corsair was on WICE beginning around 1966. Pat Patterson had become PD, replacing King Arthur Knight; it was Patterson and (Ed) Coles in AM drive. John Kennedy was news director (had trouble pronouncing his last name -- too many "nnn's). Charles Schofield also did news (and smoked Camel after Camel), along with a young George Hyde. Dave Pearce was there, as was Bob DeCarlo and King Arthur Knight. Mike "Surfer" Sands was there, as was Jack Rose, a young Don Berns as well as the already-mentioned Jack Burns (cam in for a shift after working on the railroad; had cue cards he used to rotate plugs).

I remember radio being fun back then! ;-)

LongTimeLoafer said:
I think that Bill Corsair was on WICE beginning around 1966. Pat Patterson had become PD, replacing King Arthur Knight; it was Patterson and (Ed) Coles in AM drive. John Kennedy was news director (had trouble pronouncing his last name -- too many "nnn's). Charles Schofield also did news (and smoked Camel after Camel), along with a young George Hyde. Dave Pearce was there, as was Bob DeCarlo and King Arthur Knight. Mike "Surfer" Sands was there, as was Jack Rose, a young Don Berns as well as the already-mentioned Jack Burns (cam in for a shift after working on the railroad; had cue cards he used to rotate plugs).

I remember radio being fun back then! ;-)
Why, radio isn't fun, anymore (LOL) ???

Hello Everyone --

Greetings from a WHIM fan from 1975-81 (I eventually did have to go to college).

I was especially saddened to read that Marion Rose passed away. I was a HUGE Marion Rose fan. I still remember the thrill of meeting her at some WHIM concert and again once at a live broadcast from Rocky Point.

Can you tell me more about her later career and when she died?

Thank You

(I also remember those silly bingo cards!)

I worked @ 1450/WHIM during my senior year in high school: 1996-1997. Does that count? Anyone else remember when Dan, Charlie & Stan, er-Chef Jeff moved over to the then WRIW-LP/23?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom