• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The CBS’ 2023-2024 season thread

I have wondered about CBS showing some version of Y&R and B&B in prime time but considering they are both currently being written by “svab” writers (along with the other soaps) I wonder if WGA would try and shut down production. I can’t imagine the union allowing new prime time or late night programming written by “scab” writers to air on the networks without a loud outcry.

CBS is far better off, such as that is, with the current plans than putting the soaps on at night.
They already have the Price is Right at Night and Let's Make a Deal Primetime. The closest to get the soaps in primetime is the 50th anniversary special of the Young and the Restless they did last spring on CBS. Surprised they didn't do a 35th anniversary of Bold and the Beautiful as I don't see that one making it to 50 years.

Yes, they have been and will make more use of the game shows as schedule filler. That doesn't mean soaps are a good choice. Y&R had what....one or two primetime episodes decades ago? It's not a good schedule filler.

Just found out that WBBM is moving LMAD to 3 PM (Central) and running Drew Barrymore from 2 to 3. That would make it the first station in the Central time zone to run LMAD at some time other than 9 AM or 2 PM. That would put Drew against General Hospital and LMAD against Jeopardy!, both of which are on WLS (ABC). It reminds me of how the ABC o&os run GH at 3/2 and makes me wonder if any other CBS o&os will follow WBBM's lead. (Sort of off-topic but Tamron Hall goes at 2 PM on ABC o&os WABC, WPVI, and WTVD, and all three start a 10 AM newscast to replace Rachael Ray.)

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be surprised if KYW makes a similar move for the east coast, not LMAD, but moving Drew to afternoon in place of fake doctor Phil. Frees up the 9 am hour for the full newscast to be on air along with streaming.

Maybe not. But I’d have to think that’s a better bottom-line move for the business. If they want to keep fraud Phil around, they can put it on WPSG.

I noticed that there are several Saturday nights with college football. Are these rescheduled games from the afternoons or additional ones? This is something they need to go to on a regular basis in the even if there wasn't a strike.
CBS usually has one or two SEC night games, and this year they add the Big 10 and may have some Big 10 night games as the late afternoon spot they won the bid for can't be used full-time until the SEC contract expires as that is when they show SEC games.

Fraud Phil repeats will be on CW7 as they have aired his repeats from day 1 when it launched in 2006 at one time Know It All Phil was on at 7PM. I think WWMT will air a 4PM newscast in about a month.

Wouldn’t be surprised if KYW makes a similar move for the east coast, not LMAD, but moving Drew to afternoon in place of fake doctor Phil. Frees up the 9 am hour for the full newscast to be on air along with streaming.

Maybe not. But I’d have to think that’s a better bottom-line move for the business. If they want to keep fraud Phil around, they can put it on WPSG.

We don’t know yet. I’m dying to find out.

Here is one in the mix that CBS is going to run.

Game show Loteria Loca debuts on CBS October 2. The series is based on the Mexican game of chance known as loteria, which is like bingo, but uses images instead of letter-number combos.

Jaime Camil is host and executive producer. An actor and singer, Camil’s singing skills are on display in Loteria Loca, which features a house band led by Sheila E., and dancers as well.

“If a late-night show, a variety show and a game show had a baby, it would be us,” Camil told B+C.

I liked Loteria Loca. I think it would be a great show to try out for. Jaime is energetic, and the contestants that I've seen are genuinely excited and not those Price is Right "caffeinated on 6 shots of espresso" screamfests...YET!
The bonus round with the skulls has some Press Your Luck elements to it. Although, I hope they add more prizes to the show - a new car, dream vacations to South America, Mexico, and other Latino-majority countries, or something else that has a Latino theme to it.

Back
Top Bottom