• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

September PPM's

What are the top billing Music stations in Philly. This will be the last time I ask this
High to lower (industry estimates based on Miller-Kaplan and other sources):

WBEB (#1 biller in market)
WMMR
WDAS WOGL (tie)
WMGK, WXTU (near tie)
WIOQ
WUMR,
WUSL,
WTDY,
WBEN, WRRF, WRNB (near three way tie)
WPPZ

The top one bills about 8 times as much as the bottom one. Several are ties or near ties.

the station of the stars is back, WPEN-FM in crystal clear DIGITAL HD, STEREO, now you can hear Frank, Dean, Ella, Tony, Nat and hundreds more like never before. Check it out baby boomers and the new generation of listeners to hear what good music was really all about, listen and learn. WHY NOT??? These guys got it down right, WZZJ The Lounge

Last edited:
the station of the stars is back, WPEN-FM in crystal clear DIGITAL HD, STEREO, now you can hear Frank, Dean, Ella, Tony, Nat and hundreds more like never before. Check it out baby boomers and the new generation of listeners to hear what good music was really all about, listen and learn. WHY NOT??? These guys got it down right, WZZJ The Lounge
I am always fascinated by the insistence of many to claim that the music of their youth and generation is the best. And that today's music sucks.

I grew up on Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Buddy Holly and back then you could not pay me to listen to Sinatra and Glen Miller. Now there is little of the later 50's and 60's I want to hear again, and most of the 70's pop is no longer particularly appealing.

But today, I find lots of stuff from Pitbull to Bad Bunny to be lots of fun to listen to, and it just as good as the Stones and The Supremes were in their day.

It's hard to say that Iron Butterfly is better than Foo Fighters or Smashing Pumpkins, right?

And in other genres, it's hard to say that Garth Brooks and George Strait are better than FGL or Jason Aldean.

I saw a psychological analysis of the fact that many people only deeply like the music of the happiest times of their lives. I used that assumption often when leading focus groups and one-on-one perceptuals. In one case, over 20 years ago I interviewed a late-40's woman in DC who worked at a very boring job filing papers at the DOJ in someplace like the third basement. She loved later 60's oldies because "that was the only time my life was fun". So when I do interviews, I always ask about how satisfying a person's like was vs. the kinds of music they like.

High to lower (industry estimates based on Miller-Kaplan and other sources):

WBEB (#1 biller in market)
WMMR
WDAS WOGL (tie)
WMGK, WXTU (near tie)
WIOQ
WUMR,
WUSL,
WTDY,
WBEN, WRRF, WRNB (near three way tie)
WPPZ

The top one bills about 8 times as much as the bottom one. Several are ties or near ties.
Does that WUMR prediction only estimate in the Spanish format since March, or does it include the first few months of 2022 where it was still The Breeze? Impressive nonetheless.

And WPPZ and WRNB at the bottom. Ouch.

Question for David E:
I'm asking in a general sense. How is KYW 103.9 holding up their end of the simulcast in Philos Delphi?
Of course, 1010 WINS soon plans to // their stuff onto the much larger-signalled 92.3 in NYC. And neither KYW nor WINS are albatross'd by sports, of course,

Question for David E:
I'm asking in a general sense. How is KYW 103.9 holding up their end of the simulcast in Philos Delphi?
Of course, 1010 WINS soon plans to // their stuff onto the much larger-signalled 92.3 in NYC. And neither KYW nor WINS are albatross'd by sports, of course,

I wonder if Audacy will eventually swap 96.5 and 103.9. KYW deserves to be on the bigger signal under nearly every metric: billing, ratings, future, etc. 103.9, at 270 watts, is essentially an FM translator, and is the primary (almost only on-air) frequency brand for KYW today.

Question for David E:
We don't know. That is not information subscribers get. You'd have to be subscribed and order a special report to know.

I wonder if Audacy will eventually swap 96.5 and 103.9. KYW deserves to be on the bigger signal under nearly every metric: billing, ratings, future, etc. 103.9, at 270 watts, is essentially an FM translator, and is the primary (almost only on-air) frequency brand for KYW today.
But that low power station has an HAAT of over 1000 feet, and covers 2/3 of the market population with a 60 dbu signal. For its purpose, it is not as horrible as you paint it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom