• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Reading into Entercom's Divestures

You're saying it as though you have specific information from someone at Emmis. Do you have such information?

Neither of the CBS stations in St. Louis have been mentioned in any of the Entercom divestiture lists.

In your previous post, you said "Emmis would've considered acquiring some of Entercom's divestitures." Now you're saying the opposite. Which is it? It can't be both.

What I actually meant to say was that Emmis would acquire the stations in the markets Entercom's divesting stations in, and Emmis would trade their St. Louis stations to Entercom. I only thought of Emmis since their stations would seem to fit well with the stations Entercom will soon own in St. Louis, albeit having to spin a station or two.

I've always been under the assumption that the stations will go to someone already in the market. On a note not related to Seattle, how many stations would Entercom have to spin in order for them to aquire Beasley's Las Vegas cluster? It's never made sense to me why Beasley is in that market when all their other stations are back east.

I just hope the CBS Sports Radio programming doesn't leave the local dial. I know it's on the Jack HD2, but that could change if Jack changes....

The new owner of KFNQ may keep it or dump it for something more profitable, or that fits there views. We shall see.

Except that the station is popular and profitable.

Your point does not guarantee that a new owner will not change it. For example; when Bonneville acquired what is now KMVP, it had a format like Jack, and they blew it up for sports.

Last edited:
I've always been under the assumption that the stations will go to someone already in the market. On a note not related to Seattle, how many stations would Entercom have to spin in order for them to aquire Beasley's Las Vegas cluster? It's never made sense to me why Beasley is in that market when all their other stations are back east.

If it makes Beasley money, they'll keep it.

Bonneville does like to blow things up like KBSG, imagine what they would do if the got KPLZ. Does KPLZ bring in new listeners or are they serving an older pop demo. Jack may make money but does not bring in new listeners and it's a royalty format. They could easily duplicate the format on an HD channel and consolidate the listener base to KZOK and the HD channel with a Jack type rotation.

I'm almost ready to call it, Jack will be...Sppppp, but who's the buyer?

Last edited:
Bonneville does like to blow things up like KBSG, imagine what they would do if the got KPLZ. Does KPLZ bring in new listeners or are they serving an older pop demo. Jack may make money but does not bring in new listeners and it's a royalty format. They could easily duplicate the format on an HD channel and consolidate the listener base to KZOK and the HD channel with a Jack type rotation.

I'm almost ready to call it, Jack will be...Sppppp, but who's the buyer?

The logical choice is Bonneville. So, will it be '96-5 the Fan', or '96-5 ESPN Seattle'.

Last edited:
True but I think there could be incentive for Entercom to sell to some one else in the market.

The thought that occurred to me was that Bonneville makes a trade with Entercom with their Phoenix cluster, keeps KJAQ and takes it sports, trades KZOK to another broadcaster who wants classic rock, for an under performing signal (Hubbard and KVRQ comes to mind, or iHM and KPWK), and sells KFNQ to Salem.

Entercom and Bonneville have done trades before, and like to make deals that bring in $$.

Last edited:
Agreed. The 'Jack-FM' branding is used under license by CBS. The new owner could see that as a liability and dump it.

The 72% "new owners" of Entercom are the shareholders of CBS. Whether CBS has the license to use the Jack name and consulting or whether it is Entercom, it's still a service bought from an outside supplier.

But in Seattle the new owner of 96.5 would be either Bonneville or X. They may not want to keep licensing Jack format from CBS/Entercom for the local Seattle market.

The 72% "new owners" of Entercom are the shareholders of CBS. Whether CBS has the license to use the Jack name and consulting or whether it is Entercom, it's still a service bought from an outside supplier.

When this deal is done, it will be neither CBS nor Entercom who has KJAQ.

But in Seattle the new owner of 96.5 would be either Bonneville or X. They may not want to keep licensing Jack format from CBS/Entercom for the local Seattle market.

Neither CBS not Entercom do the licensing for Jack. It is a separate, independent company called Sparknet Communications.

When CBS sold its Jack in San Antonio (KJXK 102.7), it remained Jack. It's still Jack 11 years and two owners later. If KJAQ's buyer wants to keep it, it would seem there would be a way to transfer the license to use Jack.

When CBS sold its Jack in San Antonio (KJXK 102.7), it remained Jack. It's still Jack 11 years and two owners later. If KJAQ's buyer wants to keep it, it would seem there would be a way to transfer the license to use Jack.

It's more of a "contract" than a "license".

Jack is no different than any syndicated format.

In the top 50 markets, the format is customized and produced locally with a locally researched and curated playlist under Sparknet consulting. In smaller markets, the format is delivered with a standardized playlist, but with custom imaging and broad guidance.

And stations that don't want to license the name are free to come up with their own names for the variety hits format. Boston had "Mike" until the station was blown up for sports talk, and it sounded an awful lot like "Jack" sounded in other markets. Ditto for New Hampshire's "Frank."

Hmmmm, how about a Spanish-language variety hits format called "Eduardo"? ;)

They may not want to keep licensing Jack format from CBS/Entercom for the local Seattle market.

As I mentioned before, it's possible that Entercom could move the Jack format to one of their stations. Until Entercom reveals the buyer of their Seattle stations, we don't know what will happen.

Surprised no one mentioned Emmis or Beasley, if they'd be interested in the market...

Emmis is completely broke. You might as well say "PTBoardOp94 will be buying stations spun off from Entercom". Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom