• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Reading into Entercom's Divestures

I understand what you are saying, but it's a bit ironic that the only demo that seems to appeal to these big money agencies is merely 15 years in breadth. Even less, if you consider that many young adults don't really begin making decent money until they leave college at age 22, which would make it a 13 year spread -- age 22 to 35.

Advertisers are looking to develop brand loyalty as early as possible. If the 17-year-old can't drink Budweiser legally now, he will be able to in a few years, so saturate that brain with images of happy, cool people drinking Bud. A 40-year-old Coors drinker is useless; he knows what his favorite brew is and will just tune out the rival brands' ads. Same goes for cars -- the 50-year-old who's owned five Dodge Ram pickups isn't going to buy a Ford next time, but the 16-year-old with a learner's permit is a blank slate, so imprint the Ram brand and hope that's what he asks Dad to get him after he graduates from high school.

EMF doesn't need another stick in this market, unless you're talking about Air1. They have it covered with KLSW (104.5) and KNBQ (98.5). (If you haven't noticed, EMF sells their FM's in the commercial band where possible to buy FM's in the non-com band...at good profits.)

If EMF wants to bring Air 1 to Seattle, how about they acquire one of the Sinclair's radio stations? I don't see a reason for EMF to acquire one of Entercom's divestitures since they already did in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Wilkes-Barre.

I understand what you are saying, but it's a bit ironic that the only demo that seems to appeal to these big money agencies is merely 15 years in breadth. Even less, if you consider that many young adults don't really begin making decent money until they leave college at age 22, which would make it a 13 year spread -- age 22 to 35.

18-34 is not the biggest of the broader sales demos... it is 25-54. When an agency buys that demo, they will generally buy several stations deep, using one for the younger end, one for the upper end and one for the middle. If they buy any deeper, they continue to fine-tune the balance of ages (and gender and even ethnicity, if appropriate).

If EMF wants to bring Air 1 to Seattle, how about they acquire one of the Sinclair's radio stations? I don't see a reason for EMF to acquire one of Entercom's divestitures since they already did in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Wilkes-Barre.

That would assume Sinclair wants to sell. It also assumes EMF would pay what Sinclair would want.

I don’t see EMF or a non-comm operator getting KJAQ and KZOK. Not that it couldn’t happen, but I tend to think the sale or trade value of those properties is too high.

That would assume Sinclair wants to sell. It also assumes EMF would pay what Sinclair would want.

I don’t see EMF or a non-comm operator getting KJAQ and KZOK. Not that it couldn’t happen, but I tend to think the sale or trade value of those properties is too high.

Sure, Sinclair could easily sell 97.7 to EMF allowing them to put Air 1 on the frequency. Salem could take KVI if they don't acquire KFNQ from Entercom, and Bonneville could acquire KPLZ and KOMO 1000.

And what about the Spanish broadcasters? I'm surprised no one has mentioned them...

And what about the Spanish broadcasters? I'm surprised no one has mentioned them...

I presume you are referring to the Spanish language broadcasters, as "Spanish" broadcasters are all in Spain.:rolleyes:

Hispanic population in Seattle is only at the bare minimum to sustain a full signal facility, and the prices that the spin-offs would command likely make this possibility rather low.

It's unlikely that any Spanish-language broadcaster would be interested in acquiring Entercom's divestitures in Seattle.

I think KDDS 99.3 is plenty enough for the market on the FM side (Not counting the Non-comm religious side of things). They do promote alot around the area where appropriate. Don't know where they fall in the mainstream ratings, as it would probably be measured differently.

I think KDDS 99.3 is plenty enough for the market on the FM side (Not counting the Non-comm religious side of things). They do promote alot around the area where appropriate. Don't know where they fall in the mainstream ratings, as it would probably be measured differently.

This had been an entertaining thread and I love the conjecture and speculation. Hubbard will NOT pick up either one of the Entercom sticks, take it to the bank now... Alpha is joke so they are not a real contender... nor will Sinclair. Maybe there's a third party laying in the weeds that no one has given any real consideration to.... And sorry Amigo no Spanish broadcaster is going to pick up those sticks either.

This had been an entertaining thread and I love the conjecture and speculation. Hubbard will NOT pick up either one of the Entercom sticks, take it to the bank now... Alpha is joke so they are not a real contender... nor will Sinclair. Maybe there's a third party laying in the weeds that no one has given any real consideration to.... And sorry Amigo no Spanish broadcaster is going to pick up those sticks either.

We’ll find out who gets the rest of Entercom’s divestitures by November 17th.

KDDS is a less than perfect signal, and gets about a 0.3 to 0.4 on average in the Seattle PPM. That is below 30th in 18-49, the target for that station.

There should be around 5 to 6 total shares available for well programmed Spanish language stations, given the 10% Hispanic population of the market.

All stations in a rated market are measured the same irrespective of format.

Most of Townsquare's stations are in smaller markets, so they're very unlikely to acquire anything from Entercom.

Townsquare's new management team, forced in by the financial backers of the company, are focusing on events and digital platforms; neither has radio experience.

Here are two scenarios, both probably quite unlikely.
1. Cumulus sells its Eugene stations to Townsquare, then uses that money to buy the Entercom stations in Seattle.
2. The same thing as #1 above, with the exception of 1090. That goes to Classic Radio, who also sells 98.1 to Cumulus, but leases the HD channels on that frequency. That would be quite interesting, as the KING calls would be returning to 1090.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom