• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pirate at 99.7 FM in NY

and their business is more lucrative because theyre not paying staff, attorneys, engineers, buying all the equipment required (EAS, etc), probably buying cheaper transmtiters and antennas....
I've spoken with several pirate operators in the NYC area, and generally speaking there is little staff beyond the person running the station. They are not making much money, if any, and they tend to be passion projects rather than the lucrative business ventures that are often alleged. As one Haitian station operator said to me: "We're the ones putting the money into the station." They may run ads, but the rates are very low and are often just an in-kind donation, like food from a local restaurant or the business. Frequently the ads on the stations are from the business the station operator owns. In some cases they parcel out blocks of time to other programmers for a small donation. In NYC, his practice was pioneered by Dr. X of WJQR, Nasty Radio fame in the mid-90's.

Yet I found this Pirate link https://map.pirateradiomap.com/#

Operating unlicensed pirate stations on top of licensed stations is very bad. I hope most of these are at this time internet only. Are they now??????
The activity is still fairly robust even 25 years into this phase of pirate activity in NYC. In Brooklyn, I hear 25-30 stations a night, and city-wide I estimate there are about 75 stations on every day. Many have been on for a decade or more. But now, most stations stream from their own websites or apps, as well as using Facebook live and similar platforms. I can only think about 2 or 3 of the Flatbush stations that don't have a web presence of any kind.

The FCC's new approach to this is to go after the property owners. They no longer have to speak to the pirate in person. All they have to do is locate the building where the illegal signal is coming from.

Then the owner of the property gets a letter from the FCC threatening a $2,000,000 fine. This new means of FCC Enforcement will result in evicted pirates and or financially ruined pirates.

Then the owner of the property gets a letter from the FCC threatening a $2,000,000 fine. This new means of FCC Enforcement will result in evicted pirates and or financially ruined pirates.
Has the FCC actually imposed and collected such a fine? Or is it more carrying a "big stick" to get compliance?

The Pirate on 106.3 operates from Flatbush but kills WKMK 106.3 in Southwestern Brooklyn.The FCC has done nothing.
The FCC only acts if the affected station files a complaint. There is, generally, no exploratory searching on a regular basis for pirates.

A few years ago, the owners of Thunder Country WKMK 106.3 successfully challenged a translator that had planned to transmit from a tall building in Manhattan on 106.3. So I wouldn't be surprised if they filed a complaint about the pirate on the same frequency.

Though I can still hear plenty of pirates in the area, it seems to be that ones with strong signals are less common than a few years ago.

Last edited:
FCC podcast on pirate radio. Pirate Radio
Thanks for posting that. It is a "fun" read and gives the perspective of a field agent of the FCC.

My worst pirate experience was aboard a Triple-7 approaching MIA from the West. We were on final approach, just over the Turnpike and gear down. Suddenly the engines accelerate, the plane goes into a steep ascent and turns 90° to the South.

We fly back out over the Everglades and start a new approach and then a successful landing. The pilot then announces that when just a few miles out from the airport, a pirate radio station started interfering with the communications with the tower at MIA. They performed an emergency abort, got out of the flight paths and came around while moving to another alternate frequency.

Our engineer at WAMR/WAQI /WQBA called a contact they had at the airport and found out that the pirate was very rapidly triangulated and, from what he understood, silenced "with force". Miami being one of the busiest airports, that was deemed critical... particularly since the airport is "right in the middle of the city".

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. It is a "fun" read and gives the perspective of a field agent of the FCC.

My worst pirate experience was aboard a Triple-7 approaching MIA from the West. We were on final approach, just over the Turnpike and gear down. Suddenly the engines accelerate, the plane goes into a steep ascent and turns 90° to the South.

We fly back out over the Everglades and start a new approach and then a successful landing. The pilot then announces that when just a few miles out from the airport, a pirate radio station started interfering with the communications with the tower at MIA. They performed an emergency abort, got out of the flight paths and came around while moving to another alternate frequency.

Our engineer at WAMR/WAQI /WQBA called a contact they had at the airport and found out that the pirate was very rapidly triangulated and, from what he understood, silence "with force". Miami being one of the busiest airports, that was deemed critical... particularly since the airport is "right in the middle of the city".
Yikes! Many of today's pirates are not whiz-kids or engineer types. They pay fifty bucks for a transmitter made in China on eBay. These units might not have a low pass filter. They don't know they need that filter.

There's a reason for the requirement that LPFM's have type certified equipment. Type certified LPFM transmitters have a low pass filter. Type verified exciters might not have the low pass filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The activity is still fairly robust even 25 years into this phase of pirate activity in NYC. In Brooklyn, I hear 25-30 stations a night, and city-wide I estimate there are about 75 stations on every day. Many have been on for a decade or more. But now, most stations stream from their own websites or apps, as well as using Facebook live and similar platforms. I can only think about 2 or 3 of the Flatbush stations that don't have a web presence of any kind.

Are these pirates as successful at evading the music royalty collectors for their streaming operations as they are at evading the FCC for their OTA operations?

A few years ago, the owners of Thunder Country WKMK 106.3 successfully challenged a translator that had planned to transmit from a tall building in Manhattan on 106.3. So I wouldn't be surprised if they filed a complaint about the pirate on the same frequency.

Though I can still hear plenty of pirates in the area, it seems to be that ones with strong signals are less common than a few years ago.
There's a translator now on 106.3 and pirates on 106.3 in Brooklyn. Even if WKMK we're audible in the city there's no beating the pirates that pop up monthly and the translator that is now directional.

There's a translator now on 106.3 and pirates on 106.3 in Brooklyn. Even if WKMK we're audible in the city there's no beating the pirates that pop up monthly and the translator that is now directional.
W292DV is on air? Last I checked it was silent pending a move to downtown and a frequency change to 107.9, upon which it will become W300EI

It’s possible to hunt down every pirate, measure the HAAT and estimate the power based on field strength. Then add them to the database, create coverage maps, and display them alongside the licensed stations. Maybe that will get the public’s attention and get them shut down faster

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom