• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Online radio listening posts..

Don't know about the morse code but I've heard a few of them too. As far as hearing KGO and KNX is concerned I've had my best luck at catching them around 0600UTC. So if you can be up and listening then you'll have a better chance to hear those on the Arctic receiver.

On March 1, between 0530--0610UTC Not much heard on the Arctic receiver from NA.

1130-KTLK good
1150- very weak hard to ID maybe WHBY?
1160-KSL fair/good
1300-WOOD weak
1390 WGRB mixing with something else. Both weak.

Nothing from the west coast of the US or Canada. Even KOMO usually very strong at this time was missing.

Forgot to mention last night just before 0600UTC I listened a little to the Kaneohe, Hawaii receiver. KSL was coming in pretty well. The farthest east I could hear was WGN just above the noise level.

Interesting experience this morning, sitting at car dealer waiting on my wife's car, DXing on the Arctic SDR using my phone and wireless headphones. During the 1500 UTC hour, conditions were good to Asia (and Barrow 680 was strong). There were competing signals on almost every frequency, with Korea, China, and Japan most often heard. Interesting ones included:

657 North Korea with odd orchestral ballads and somber announcements between tunes.
819 North Korea with similar music but not //657. This one has an awful sound, distorted with a droning sound underneath
972 South Korea local-strength with KK pop music and and interview regarding the coronavirus
1458 music and talk in unk language, with huge echo from multiple signals. MWList says China's Mongolia service has 37 (!) signals on this frequency, so must be them.
1467 good signal in Japanese with lots of echo, presumed NHK2 synchros. Mixing with other signal, given other things heard, probably South Korea
1566 FEBC from South Korea at armchair strength and slopping heavily over both adjacent frequencies.

Easter turned out to be the night for 5kw signals on the Westfjord Iceland SDR. WEAV, 960 from Plattsburgh, NY, WRCA, 1330 from suburban Boston. WSAR, 1480 from Fall River, MA. Each alone, each with a fair-good signal. Well, actually, WRCA runs 17kw at night.

Those three were all first-time catches for me on SDR. And as you might expect, some of the bigger signals were present as well. WBZ, WBBR, WFED, WKBW, and the NYC 1560. Time for all of this was between 8:30 and 9:30 CDT. 0230-0330 Zulu.

WKBW/WWKB scattergram is shown at 1:00 in "Rats In My Room". There are a lot of dots in Ireland, the UK, Spain, Norway, Sweden, and Northwest Africa. WBBR and other stations that are DA into the Atlantic would probably have similar scattergrams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbe2c7XysnU

The other 1390 might be WLCM Holt, MI. It's Christian Teaching/Talk, possibly some CCM. It's really cut in to WGRB's III-A "Clear Channel".

WKBW/WWKB scattergram is shown at 1:00 in "Rats In My Room". There are a lot of dots in Ireland, the UK, Spain, Norway, Sweden, and Northwest Africa. WBBR and other stations that are DA into the Atlantic would probably have similar scattergrams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbe2c7XysnU

The other 1390 might be WLCM Holt, MI. It's Christian Teaching/Talk, possibly some CCM. It's really cut in to WGRB's III-A "Clear Channel".

When Dick Biondi was on WKBW in the late 50s he often mentioned the listeners in Scandinavia and Europe. WBBR really sends a strong signal into Europe as we've witnessed on the European SDRs. Speaking of WGRB they were heard often during winter on the Arctic receiver.

When Dick Biondi was on WKBW in the late 50s he often mentioned the listeners in Scandinavia and Europe. WBBR really sends a strong signal into Europe as we've witnessed on the European SDRs. Speaking of WGRB they were heard often during winter on the Arctic receiver.

WBBR was the strongest North American signal I heard on the Iceland SDR Monday night. WWKB wasn't very far behind. As for WGRB, I did hear them on the Arctic SDR in Norway a couple of months back.

I found a new SDR near me, just northwest of Knoxville. Not that bad, a touch noisy on the lower end of the band. It's labeled with some common stations, oddly enough including the defunct and dismantled WATO.

WBBR was the strongest North American signal I heard on the Iceland SDR Monday night. WWKB wasn't very far behind. As for WGRB, I did hear them on the Arctic SDR in Norway a couple of months back.

I found a new SDR near me, just northwest of Knoxville. Not that bad, a touch noisy on the lower end of the band. It's labeled with some common stations, oddly enough including the defunct and dismantled WATO.

Thanks, for the post. I "test drove" the receiver for about 20 minutes last night and then again this afternoon (around 2pm CDT). You're right about the noise floor, but still, it's a good receiver for AM DX. A few other first impressions....

Last night: No real surprises. Being from the Chicago area, the first thing I did was check the local blowtorches. WSCR (670) was getting creamed by Cuba. WGN (720) and WBBM (780) both were rock solid. WLS (890) and WMVP (1000) were both getting splattered on by adjacent channel locals, Other strong skywave signals included (but not limited to) WSM, WSB, WJR, CJBC, WWL, KDKA, WHO, and WTAM.

This afternoon: Two things stood out: 640. I thought I'd get WGST, But instead it was the 10kw station from the Tri Cities with a couple of stations underneath. I couldn't ID either one, but I'm assuming one was WGST (WSB was present with a weak signal), Then there was a rather strong unmodulated carrier on 1610. I also heard it last night. Any idea what that is? TIS transmitter with no content?

Thanks, for the post. I "test drove" the receiver for about 20 minutes last night and then again this afternoon (around 2pm CDT). You're right about the noise floor, but still, it's a good receiver for AM DX. A few other first impressions....

Last night: No real surprises. Being from the Chicago area, the first thing I did was check the local blowtorches. WSCR (670) was getting creamed by Cuba.

WSCR seems to get creamed often by Cuba even on receivers that are further north.

WSCR seems to get creamed often by Cuba even on receivers that are further north.

I knew a priest who was also a military chaplain attached to the Redstone arsenal. He's from the south side. Big sports fan especially White Sox. He liked to do the drive between here and Alabama as an overnight. He was also a big fan of WSCR/670. i was talking to him one day, and he told me that WSCR at night was always listenable to about Nashville. Once he got south of there on I-65, Cuba took over and he had to give up.

Great to see your report, Cyberdad. (Maybe once I'm finally done with FM Frequency of the Week I'll do "SDR site of the week".

Knoxville and Sevierville has been my stomping ground for 10 years, but my DXing has largely been mobile. This SDR will be a big help.

Your observations are pretty normal. The Cuban Chorus wipes out WSCR more often than not. It wipes out WHAM about half the time. Checking out the SDR tonight, I had Cuba under WLS, along with an ever-so-slight her. WGST is surprisingly difficult to get. Blountville is a powerhouse during the day

I couldn't tell you about the dead carrier on 1610, most of Tennessee's highway TIS's are 530 and 1620. I had CKNX this evening dominating an UNID Catholic station. Also on 1270 a mix of WLIK, Newport TN, WUCO, Maryville OH and an UNID Spanish language station with a sporting event.

I knew a priest who was also a military chaplain attached to the Redstone arsenal. He's from the south side. Big sports fan especially White Sox. He liked to do the drive between here and Alabama as an overnight. He was also a big fan of WSCR/670. i was talking to him one day, and he told me that WSCR at night was always listenable to about Nashville. Once he got south of there on I-65, Cuba took over and he had to give up.

WSCR gets hammered a lot even farther north. Last year I was in the Cleveland area for a few days and about half the time Cuba was over WSCR.

A little summer action on the Iceland SDR.....

Now that there are hours of darkness or semi-darkness on the Westfjord SDR, there's some transatlantic DX to be had. Last Wednesday night)8/12) produced the following between about 9:30 and 10:30 CDT.... CFRB, WBZ, WBBR, WCKY and a rather unusual graveyard channel catch. CBG from Gander Newfoundland. 4kw on 1400. Hopefully this bodes well for the coming several months.

A little summer action on the Iceland SDR.....

Now that there are hours of darkness or semi-darkness on the Westfjord SDR, there's some transatlantic DX to be had. Last Wednesday night)8/12) produced the following between about 9:30 and 10:30 CDT.... CFRB, WBZ, WBBR, WCKY and a rather unusual graveyard channel catch. CBG from Gander Newfoundland. 4kw on 1400. Hopefully this bodes well for the coming several months.

Thanks for the heads up. The days are getting shorter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom