• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Online radio listening posts..

The 540 has been identified. Check the new thread posted by me.

Yes the conditions are not the same, but there is still some interesting stuff to be heard.

I tuned in last night between 0300-0500 UTC and heard these on the Arctic SDR:

531 Faroe Islands battling it out with Jil FM
940 Brazil's 100kW with religious programming in Portuguese
1440 Radio 208 from Copenhagen with listed 500 Watts playing classic rock tunes with good signal
1476 TWR Africa from Benin with very good signal
1530 Voice of America from Sao Tome mixing with KFBK

North American stations were very weak, but did manage to hear WYLL almost equal in strength with KSL

Nice catches. I've heard WYLL several times on that receiver, but not recently.

Conditions quite variable on the Arctic receiver tonight. WBBM, WLS, WHO all coming in well at 0530UTC. KSTP fair, WGN fair, WYLL & KSL mixing it up. KTWO over WBZ on 1030.

Last night (actually, just past midnight CST) was good for Canada on the Arctic SDR. I heard 730 Vancouver, CKJH "Beach Radio" 750 from Saskatchewan, 840 CFCW "Alberta's country", and 880 news from Edmonton.

On 16 February around 1830 CST I heard a clear WOAI ID through slop from Iran on 1197.

Conditions aren't as good as they were a month ago, but still some interesting stuff to be heard.

Last night (actually, just past midnight CST) was good for Canada on the Arctic SDR. I heard 730 Vancouver, CKJH "Beach Radio" 750 from Saskatchewan, 840 CFCW "Alberta's country", and 880 news from Edmonton.

On 16 February around 1830 CST I heard a clear WOAI ID through slop from Iran on 1197.

Conditions aren't as good as they were a month ago, but still some interesting stuff to be heard.

I've also been noticing that the better DX has been coming from Central Canada and the US. The Alaskans are not in as much.
Great catch on WOAI.

Never a dull moment on the Arctic SDR. LRA1 Radio Nacional, Argentina on 870 kHz with good signal as I write this. Also a strong signal from Brazil on 750 kHz 10 minutes ago, but no ID or // stream found.

Never a dull moment on the Arctic SDR. LRA1 Radio Nacional, Argentina on 870 kHz with good signal as I write this. Also a strong signal from Brazil on 750 kHz 10 minutes ago, but no ID or // stream found.

Thanks for the "heads up" I caught Argentina on 870. However, I missed Brazil.

You guys are right. Mixed conditions on the Arctic SDR, but stil some fun to be had. A few new ones for me this evening (0200-3000GMT)

750: CJKH I actually am pretty sure I heard this a couple of times, but hadn't been able to ID it. Tonight I matched it to website "recently played" list.
1280: WNAM: First of the season. I've heard it in past years
1290: KOIL: First ever for me on this SDR. Good signal. WOOD on 1300 with same talk show (Dave Ramsey) was even better
1460: KXNO: On top for about five minutes with Fox sports, but long enough for positive ID

KFAB and WHO were both strong, which is what prompted me to try for KOIL, KRNT, and KXNO. I'll settle for two out of three :)

Good South American reception on the Arctic SDR the last two days. Besides the above mentioned Argentian on 870, several Brazilian stations logged using the antenna dedicated to Asia/Pacific.

If at first you don't succeed..... Tried for KRNT (Des Moines) on the Arctic receiver last night. No luck. But tonight I snagged it. Nearly alone on 1350. The other first-time catch for me on the Arctic rig was WGRB (Chicago) on 1390. "Inspiration Radio". Weak to fair but comfortably on top. Both of these at around 0230 Zulu.

WBBM was the only other Chicagoan present in identifiable form, although I'm pretty sure WYLL was in the mix on 1160. Also in the neighborhood, WISN was in with a good signal on 1130.

If at first you don't succeed..... Tried for KRNT (Des Moines) on the Arctic receiver last night. No luck. But tonight I snagged it. Nearly alone on 1350. The other first-time catch for me on the Arctic rig was WGRB (Chicago) on 1390. "Inspiration Radio". Weak to fair but comfortably on top. Both of these at around 0230 Zulu.

WBBM was the only other Chicagoan present in identifiable form, although I'm pretty sure WYLL was in the mix on 1160. Also in the neighborhood, WISN was in with a good signal on 1130.

Good job snagging KRNT. I heard WGRB a few times last year, but not this year so far.

Good job snagging KRNT. I heard WGRB a few times last year, but not this year so far.

I was thinking that I wasn't the first to hear KRNT...or WGRB...on the Arctic SDR. I wasn't particularly surprised to hear eiher one since they both aim most of their 5kw night signals straight north.

(Now....bring back "Dusty Radio 1390"!)

I was thinking that I wasn't the first to hear KRNT...or WGRB...on the Arctic SDR. I wasn't particularly surprised to hear eiher one since they both aim most of their 5kw night signals straight north.

(Now....bring back "Dusty Radio 1390"!)

Ahh yes, "Dusty Radio 1390"! While we're at it how about "Winner" WYNR!

at 0630UTC 2/29 I was able to hear only the west coast of NA on the Arctic receiver.

810 KGO good
880 Global News Edmonton
1000 KOMO very strong
1070 KNX and CFAX mixing
1130 CKWX good
1160 KSL with something weak in background-perhaps WYLL
1190 KEX good

I didn't hear much else from North America

at 0630UTC 2/29 I was able to hear only the west coast of NA on the Arctic receiver.

810 KGO good
880 Global News Edmonton
1000 KOMO very strong
1070 KNX and CFAX mixing
1130 CKWX good
1160 KSL with something weak in background-perhaps WYLL
1190 KEX good

I didn't hear much else from North America

Nice catch with KNX. I've been trying for it all winter (along with KFI). I think I may have heard KNX a couple of times this season, but couldn't positively ID it. (I miss that old KNX "traffic and weather" sounder. CFAX has also been elusive for me, although I did hear it a few times last year. 810 for me has been mostly BBC Scotland, although my last few visits, there's been something underneath. Perhaps KGO. KOMO and the Edmonton 880 have both been pretty much regulars for me.

Meanwhile, KFI has been a lost cause so far.

My brief time on the Arctic SDR last night (2/29/20 UTC time) produce these first time logs:

0213 UTC: 1300 WOOD, Grand Rapids, MI
0219 UTC: 1320 CJMR, Oakville, ON with Hindu language programming mixing with CHMB
0226 UTC: 1350 KRNT, Des Moines, IA with live basketball game
0247 UTC: 1500 WLQV, Detroit, MI
0258 UTC; 1620 KSMH, Auburn, CA mixing with KOZN
0306 UTC: 1670 KQMS, Redding, CA

The other interesting thing listening on the Arctic SDR is the number of Morse Code transmissions on the Medium Wave band. Last night I was able to hear code transmissions on 708, 752, 1020 and 1285 kHz. Any idea where these originate from?

I had been thinking an overloading airport beacon but not at all sure.

My brief time on the Arctic SDR last night (2/29/20 UTC time) produce these first time logs:

0213 UTC: 1300 WOOD, Grand Rapids, MI
0219 UTC: 1320 CJMR, Oakville, ON with Hindu language programming mixing with CHMB
0226 UTC: 1350 KRNT, Des Moines, IA with live basketball game
0247 UTC: 1500 WLQV, Detroit, MI
0258 UTC; 1620 KSMH, Auburn, CA mixing with KOZN
0306 UTC: 1670 KQMS, Redding, CA

The other interesting thing listening on the Arctic SDR is the number of Morse Code transmissions on the Medium Wave band. Last night I was able to hear code transmissions on 708, 752, 1020 and 1285 kHz. Any idea where these originate from?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom