• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

now jerry can finally RIP

It's one thing to run a classic episode of I Love Lucy, Perry Mason, Jeopardy with Alex Trebek J... (or 90% of the movies seen on TCM) but I don't believe it's in good taste to re-use the Insurance company commercials Alex appeared on for several years.
And now, on MLB Network and several other channels p-I spots featuring the late Billy Mays hawking fabric glue are back. (I find that a head scratcher. Should we now expect Paul Masson winery to resurrect its famed 1980s Orson Welles voiceovers?)

And now, on MLB Network and several other channels p-I spots featuring the late Billy Mays hawking fabric glue are back. (I find that a head scratcher. Should we now expect Paul Masson winery to resurrect its famed 1980s Orson Welles voiceovers?)

The sponsor would pull them if it knew more than one or two people out there think it's in bad taste to keep using them. There is absolutely no difference between running these ads and stations playing music by dead artists, or even dead composers and songwriters, or network news using a soundbite of FDR's "infamy" speech on the anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack. Someone is making money off all of those uses. That is not the slightest bit outrageous.

As for the Welles wine ads, why not? So long as he didn't become a crusading prohibitionist in his later years and denounce all alcohol products, his endorsement of Masson's wines being replayed in 2024 should offend no one.

I think Larry King is still hawking Prostate treatment informercials out there. I saw one a year or two after he died and at the beginning of it he was saying something like "I feel like I'm in the prime of my life" or something like that. I burst out laughing.....but out of respect....hail to the King.

In the 1970s and '80s, I ran a taped religious show called, "Frank and Earnest", "a frank and earnest discussion about the bible", which consisted of two old men talking amongst themselves. They made frequent mentions of their television show and gave an address to send in donations. It was, "Frank and Earnest, General Post Office, New York City". I thought that was quite odd! In 1987, Diane Keaton wrote and directed a documentary about people's takes on the afterlife. The film was called, "Heaven" and in it were frequent cuts of the Frank and Earnest television show, as I immediately recognized their voices and it was clearly from early television, no later than the early 1950s!
Still out there:

The list of stations carrying F&E needs updating. Per that list, WTMR in Camden airs it, but I don't see it on the schedule per wtmrradio.com .
Hard to discern the age of that web page - might have to contact someone there to update it (if anyone still has the password to do so)

Back
Top Bottom