• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

now jerry can finally RIP

Today a few days after the Geators year death, WVLT had different programming on his usual 5 to 7 slot, music and a talk show. I think it was unacceptable to still run his shows as if he were alive, if someone didn't know he passed, they would think he was still alive with his local current spots. Allow this icon to RIP and celebrate his past legacy, not still make money off him. I do not know if he is still on Philly Gold Radio on line or WBCB.

I helped start an online station over two years ago, but am no longer with it due to “creative differences,” one of which was this very idea of continuing to air a deceased host’s show. However, a local religious station airs a pastor who died 20 years ago. Another station airs a spot from a personality who also died years ago.

Today a few days after the Geators year death, WVLT had different programming on his usual 5 to 7 slot, music and a talk show. I think it was unacceptable to still run his shows as if he were alive, if someone didn't know he passed, they would think he was still alive with his local current spots.
Well, it is not unusual to keep running someone's show even after that person has passed if the show still has sponsors or contributors. Plenty of stations run Classic American Top 40 with Casey Kasem. Christian radio stations continue to air religious shows from Charles Stanley and J. Vernon McGee after those preachers died.

Did WPHT run Sunday with Sinatra with Sid Mark after his death?

the only non music host I know besides deceased pastors is Art Bell, I think some of his shows still air. What I am saying is its kinda weird to hear Jerry say, see you at this steak place today, or I still go to Jeff or I'm getting ready for Memories, as if he was still alive. These so called other deceased hosts never mention where they will be or what they are doing today, two different themes...

In the 1970s and '80s, I ran a taped religious show called, "Frank and Earnest", "a frank and earnest discussion about the bible", which consisted of two old men talking amongst themselves. They made frequent mentions of their television show and gave an address to send in donations. It was, "Frank and Earnest, General Post Office, New York City". I thought that was quite odd! In 1987, Diane Keaton wrote and directed a documentary about people's takes on the afterlife. The film was called, "Heaven" and in it were frequent cuts of the Frank and Earnest television show, as I immediately recognized their voices and it was clearly from early television, no later than the early 1950s!

TV shows and movies with long-departed stars run all the time. If we’re going to say dead means some show is off limits, then there’s going be whole lot less to pick from.
It's one thing to run a classic episode of I Love Lucy, Perry Mason, Jeopardy with Alex Trebek J... (or 90% of the movies seen on TCM) but I don't believe it's in good taste to re-use the Insurance company commercials Alex appeared on for several years.

Life insurance may not be the best analogy :) Regardless, the statement was primarily about the shows (or movies, or whatever form the work took). Images/voices of the deceased certainly appear in advertising from time to time (brief clips of the long-gone major stars), but the example of a Jerry Blavat live read is such as isolated one as to be meaningless. Alex's commercial for Colonial Penn isn't running, nor is Wilfred Brimley's for that matter.

the only non music host I know besides deceased pastors is Art Bell,.
Good point. Premiere Networks (the syndication arm of iHeartRadio) runs Art Bell "Somewhere in Time" every Saturday evening from 9 to 1 ET. The iHeart talk stations in larger markets, such as WOR and KFI, don't carry it. But in small to medium markets, most iHeart talk stations that run "Coast to Coast AM" live at 1 a.m. carry the old Art Bell show in the hours before. I think the shows are great, even knowing the host is no longer with us.

Most shows are from 1990 to 2000. Bell retired and un-retired several times in the early 2000s. He died in 2018.

Heck, I’d enjoy hearing old Larry King radio shows, at least the interview and caller questions of guest hours. Especially pre-CNN when I think the interviews and listener questions often spanned 2 hours.

Art Bell was a smoker, had high blood pressure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He was on several prescription meds and had incorrectly mixed them together.

I don't think anyone suspects foul play.

spoke too soon, he was on WVLT tonight sounding like he was still alive, anyone listening from out of the area on the net would think so....plus still on WBCB. In fact they were saying call or email Jerry now to get his doowop CD now....sick people always trying to make a quick, easy buck, did his family ok this for a nice cut...

spoke too soon, he was on WVLT tonight sounding like he was still alive, anyone listening from out of the area on the net would think so....plus still on WBCB. In fact they were saying call or email Jerry now to get his doowop CD now....sick people always trying to make a quick, easy buck, did his family ok this for a nice cut...

I bet you enjoy and listen to/have listened to wolfman jack in the last several years.. hows that any different?

Was the first song on the show “Hushabye”?

Back
Top Bottom