• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Norsan Media Acquires Magic 106.3

Because the spanish content is being routed through the Magic studio and while the automation is being fed somewhere else, the microwave stl feeding the transmitter site is picking up the RDS data from the magic automaton computer
Do you know any of this as a fact or are you just guessing?

(This also isn't usually how RDS encoding actually works.)

Do you know any of this as a fact or are you just guessing?

(This also isn't usually how RDS encoding actually works.)

Its a guess because if we had RDS here, thats how it would work on KSKO if we changed program sources from automation to something else but kept the automation running

Also just to add Norsan is going to have an uphill battle with this station. I was in west Greenville this past weekend around White Horse, Cherrydale and Berea and 106.3 has static in a lot of places at its 60dbu directional edge. The area they need to cover the most they’re covering the least. I understand the circumstances but this is not a signal for a Spanish format. 103.9 was and it even seemed to struggle with the format.

Unlikely to happen but I’d try to cut a deal with the His folks to swap 103.9 and 106.3. 106.3 covers the suburban soccer moms perfectly while 103.9 has a better signal where the Hispanic community is concentrated

Also just to add Norsan is going to have an uphill battle with this station. I was in west Greenville this past weekend around White Horse, Cherrydale and Berea and 106.3 has static in a lot of places at its 60dbu directional edge. The area they need to cover the most they’re covering the least. I understand the circumstances but this is not a signal for a Spanish format. 103.9 was and it even seemed to struggle with the format.

Unlikely to happen but I’d try to cut a deal with the His folks to swap 103.9 and 106.3. 106.3 covers the suburban soccer moms perfectly while 103.9 has a better signal where the Hispanic community is concentrated

I also agree, and yes I have noticed a signal difference in West Greenville on 106.3, but technically, 106.3 is listed on FCC data as a non directional C3, but, (considering WNGC in Georgia)., I have noticed it does start to cut out closer to the Anderson County and Pickens County Line: It gets out a few miles further east into Spartanburg County vs west beyond downtown Greenville.

I also agree, and yes I have noticed a signal difference in West Greenville on 106.3, but technically, 106.3 is listed on FCC data as a non directional C3, but, (considering WNGC in Georgia)., I have noticed it does start to cut out closer to the Anderson County and Pickens County Line: It gets out a few miles further east into Spartanburg County vs west beyond downtown Greenville.
Wow, I stand corrected. The White Horse corridor is the dividing line for where 106.3 starts to crack, yet it goes past Spartanburg without static and with static, can make it to the NC state line. To the west, it gets bad around the I-85/US-29 split and dies rather quickly so it definitely favors the east. Looking at the 60dbu coverage map, it seems to favor the east even on paper: https://fccdata.org/?lang=\"en\"&call=Wspa-fm&mode=Go

Norsan adding to its station portfolio in Austin, changes likely there as well: Norsan Media Acquires Genuine Austin Radio - RadioInsight
Interesting. Norsan has been around for a little while, but it looks like they’re stepping it up on finding desperate sellers and/or bargains. I say this speculatively, but that $700k for WSPA-FM seemed cheap for that signal, even in this asset market. I’d imagine Audacy was desperate to unload it to speed along the bankruptcy, had a buyer with cash on hand, and took a loss on a potential better price to unload the station. Finding another buyer probably would have taken a long time.

Wow, I stand corrected. The White Horse corridor is the dividing line for where 106.3 starts to crack, yet it goes past Spartanburg without static and with static, can make it to the NC state line. To the west, it gets bad around the I-85/US-29 split and dies rather quickly so it definitely favors the east. Looking at the 60dbu coverage map, it seems to favor the east even on paper: https://fccdata.org/?lang=\"en\"&call=Wspa-fm&mode=Go

I think that may have to do with elevation changes, higher in the Western Upstate versus lower in the Eastern Upstate, since 106.3 is broadcast from such a short tower.

I know I've mentioned it before that the (nearby) 103.3 Tower (WLTS - Class A) is broadcasting with about 1/10 the ERP but gets out about the same distance as 106.3 just because it's higher up HAAT.

I think that may have to do with elevation changes, higher in the Western Upstate versus lower in the Eastern Upstate, since 106.3 is broadcast from such a short tower.

I know I've mentioned it before that the (nearby) 103.3 Tower (WLTS - Class A) is broadcasting with about 1/10 the ERP but gets out about the same distance as 106.3 just because it's higher up HAAT.
That makes sense about the elevation, would explain why 106.3 has a great signal to the south in to Laurens county and even going down 26 in to Newberry County is quite solid. The signal doesn’t do well going north towards Hendersonville at all, but I got a solid signal from 106.3 in Waynesville last year due to a clear line of sight which was wild!

104.9 is just 2300 watts but being on Paris Mountain it is a much better signal than 103.9 or 106.3. That’s why the non-directional translators up there have such great signals.

So I guess Magic hasn’t left the analog airwaves after all. The 101.5 translator in Anderson is still relaying what’s left of Magic. I’m not sure about 95.1 in Pickens, but I bet they are too.

Back
Top Bottom