• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Norsan Media Acquires Magic 106.3

You are using the height of the waves to judge the depth of the sea. Superficial metrics with no inclusion of how we got to the point we are at.

In the late 80's, Docket 80-90 was being developed and it rolled out around 1990 and allowed for many new FMs, and more move-ins and power increases in nearly every market area.

Because there were too many station everywhere, less than half were profitable. The traditional big names, ranging from ABC and NBC to Metromedia were pulling out or thinking about it.

So the only answer was consolidation where the politican-manufactured station limits of the 30's were tossed out. We got consolidation, but the reason was the licensing by the government of too many stations. That is what we see now.

In 1990
I've been around since the very early 80s. I saw it all happen. Yes, the 80-90 docket was cool. More potential profitable stations. But full consolidation to the levels we have now is corporately driven and shames the public interest, in my opinion. That put too many stations in too few hands.

Burn may be a useless term to you, but it most certainly is not a useless term to the audience. As anyone who has a heard a Crazy Larry-like car ad. "I change the station every time I hear that guy's voice" might be a typical response. If there was no need to observe burn, wouldn't even older songs stay in the current category? If the audience liked them once, why would they not like them for the next 1000 times they heard it?
As I already said, what you want to know is whether the listener wants to hear that song today on your station.
Burn is a real and measurable research metric that, if you are not using, you are not doing real research.
I started doing radio research of listener perceptions over 50 years ago. I ran a research division that did several hundred AMTs a year, hundreds of thousands of completed callout interviews, and loads of Awareness-Trial-Usage tests to find new formats or modifications. We did not do "burn" questions. We got the feeling for each song in different and more actionable ways.

The research I managed and implemented resulted in the most listened to radio station in the Western Hemisphere for the half-decade I consulted it. That research seems to have worked.

I've been around since the very early 80s.
I've been around since before the IC was invented, so I am not as surprised at changes as you appear to be.
I saw it all happen. Yes, the 80-90 docket was cool.
No, it nearly destroyed radio.
More potential profitable stations.
Wrong. No increase in revenue, a huge increase in stations, a rapid decrease in local news, promotions, community involvement.
But full consolidation to the levels we have now is corporately driven and shames the public interest, in my opinion. That put too many stations in too few hands.
Yet we lived for over half a century before texting, Facebook and all the new devices with just one or maybe two newspapers in most US markets.

Yet look at radio in LA where there is one dreadful paper:

Audacy
IHeart
Entravision
Estrella,
Lotus
Meruelo
Multi-Cultural
Mt Wilson
KPoint Broadcasting
Salem
SBS
Televisa/Unvision

All these own multiple stations. Add in Crawford, Cumulus, LMN, P&Y, Taxi and even ABC/Disney and a half-dozen others and you have lots of diversity

Game Show or Magic Trick? (Epic Fail !!)

WSPA goes out with a whimper...Not a Bang 🧨Nothing Special, just cut to Spanish right in the middle of a song (Lifehouse's You & Me) was cut short & switched as quickly as possible (...Poof!)

Norsan started immediately with their Spanish Fanfare and Station ID...(Simulcast with WOLI-AM 910 and 105.7 W289BS)... ¡LA RAZA! 🎉🇲🇽🎊

Recorded Audio on Video as well...

As I already said, what you want to know is whether the listener wants to hear that song today on your station.

I started doing radio research of listener perceptions over 50 years ago. I ran a research division that did several hundred AMTs a year, hundreds of thousands of completed callout interviews, and loads of Awareness-Trial-Usage tests to find new formats or modifications. We did not do "burn" questions. We got the feeling for each song in different and more actionable ways.

The research I managed and implemented resulted in the most listened to radio station in the Western Hemisphere for the half-decade I consulted it. That research seems to have worked.
With your outstanding qualifications, I am shocked you choose not to acknowledge burn. Much of my experience is from working along side Roger Wimmer for the various music tests he did for our company. One oldies station, Entercom at the time, was very concerned about our burn score track by track and, as also happened to be the number 3 oldies station in America by share 25-54. and 35-64. Especially with older libraries, you MUST be concerned about burn. It's a real number that you can track test to test.

But that means nothing to this, the real issue is how less accommodating the audience is to spots at all. That's where burn is becoming a problem, even if you refuse to see it. There must be an adjustment when you have an audience who pays $5 more dollars a month to get Hulu without ads, is inundated with politically partisan theater at levels beyond anything prior, spam in every email message and radio stations who spend less time each hour playing music that they do talking. This is not the radio of years gone by, this is 2024 corporate radio. No wonder Spotify caught on.

As a researcher, how can you not acknowledge the need for radio to rethink it's formula?

With your outstanding qualifications, I am shocked you choose not to acknowledge burn.
The term is too broad to be actionable.
Much of my experience is from working along side Roger Wimmer for the various music tests he did for our company. One oldies station, Entercom at the time, was very concerned about our burn score track by track and, as also happened to be the number 3 oldies station in America by share 25-54. and 35-64. Especially with older libraries, you MUST be concerned about burn. It's a real number that you can track test to test.
But not the only way to track what is best called "fatigue" rather than burn.
But that means nothing to this, the real issue is how less accommodating the audience is to spots at all. That's where burn is becoming a problem, even if you refuse to see it. There must be an adjustment when you have an audience who pays $5 more dollars a month to get Hulu without ads, is inundated with politically partisan theater at levels beyond anything prior, spam in every email message and radio stations who spend less time each hour playing music that they do talking. This is not the radio of years gone by, this is 2024 corporate radio. No wonder Spotify caught on.

As a researcher, how can you not acknowledge the need for radio to rethink it's formula?
Radio is a one-to-many system, and sustained by advertising. Whether the system will last into the next decade is a good question, but given the CPP that advertisers will pay in the major markets, there is no other solution other than presenting the best curated playlist possible.

Look how Apple's audio service failed to create attractive curated playlists. There is a case study there about how they tried to obviate research and "paint a Picasso" instead of creating a mass appeal, mass researched curated playlist that combined research with the human programming skills of how to best combine the best songs into magnificent sets.

The term is too broad to be actionable.

But not the only way to track what is best called "fatigue" rather than burn.

Radio is a one-to-many system, and sustained by advertising. Whether the system will last into the next decade is a good question, but given the CPP that advertisers will pay in the major markets, there is no other solution other than presenting the best curated playlist possible.

Look how Apple's audio service failed to create attractive curated playlists. There is a case study there about how they tried to obviate research and "paint a Picasso" instead of creating a mass appeal, mass researched curated playlist that combined research with the human programming skills of how to best combine the best songs into magnificent sets.
Fatigue is burn. Glad we got that settled.

Fatigue is burn. Glad we got that settled.
"Fatigue" can be solved with lighter rotations, for example. It depends on the cause: overplay, never liked it a whole lot, my ex liked it so now I don't, etc., etc. Burn is permanent, various levels of fatigue are not. And it is often hard to find the cause of fatigue, so it comes back to "how much do you want to hear that song today".

Unless you do perceptual questions along with the score, "burn" is useless.

On on-line testing, I have implemented tests where if the score was below the mid-scale point a person was asked, "if you don't want to hear it now, did you ever enjoy it?" A "Yes" gets a list of reasons why it might not be liked any more. Think "Gagnam Style" as an example of "It was fun for a while but now I hate it".

"Fatigue" can be solved with lighter rotations, for example. It depends on the cause: overplay, never liked it a whole lot, my ex liked it so now I don't, etc., etc. Burn is permanent, various levels of fatigue are not. And it is often hard to find the cause of fatigue, so it comes back to "how much do you want to hear that song today".

Unless you do perceptual questions along with the score, "burn" is useless.

On on-line testing, I have implemented tests where if the score was below the mid-scale point a person was asked, "if you don't want to hear it now, did you ever enjoy it?" A "Yes" gets a list of reasons why it might not be liked any more. Think "Gagnam Style" as an example of "It was fun for a while but now I hate it".
You can measure with 1-5 or 1-3 scores fatigue, or burn. But it must be in the subject's language. "Burn" is proper when addressing fatigue with a research subject. They understand "how burned out is this song" better than "how fatigued does this song make you feel?"

We always ended with two or three perceptuals.

Burn numbers can go up and down on each song from test to test. No score is married to a song.

Magic Still on HD Radio? Online?

Would be interesting to see if any effort is made thru HD Radio of the "Magic" / AC Format or whatever remnants of it may be out there. They were saying it would continue online, so maybe WFBC HD-4 and WYRD HD-2 will also continue with the Format since technically they wouldn't carry Spanish from the now Norsan programmed station on their former dial location. Would love to check HD Radio ASAP though perhaps audio (if still available) or on second thought, sound quality might still be an issue, was unchecked and muffled over 1 year and even thru a station sale...

🤔😱😓📻

Also I wonder if the 95.1 and 101.5 translators went to Spanish, or if were they maintained by Audacy...

You can measure with 1-5 or 1-3 scores fatigue, or burn.
That is subjective. We return to the fact that the object of a test is to know what to play on your station now and until the next test is done. Most "average listeners" can't accurately give degrees of burn or fatigue or whatever,
But it must be in the subject's language. "Burn" is proper when addressing fatigue with a research subject. They understand "how burned out is this song" better than "how fatigued does this song make you feel?"
We know what those terms mean. To the listener it is "I don't like it anymore" or "I am sick of it" or "I used to like it because my partner liked it but we broke up and it reminds me of her/him". Each variety of burn has a different solution.
We always ended with two or three perceptuals.
Perceptuals done in a group environment of an old fashion music test (people in a big room) are very subject to conditional or situational bias. Perceptuals done online are great if you are sure the respondent is who they say they are; otherwise they need to be done one-on-one.
Burn numbers can go up and down on each song from test to test. No score is married to a song.
Fatigue with a song depends to a great extent on how often it has been played in the last few weeks or months, assuming you are testing heavy station music listeners. One of my networked formats tested 6 times a year, with the participants split each time in two different markets. We knew even the weather outside affected the average scores, so we established a specific break point for each individual session based on average and mean scores.

"The top 10 groups have less than 2000 of the over 10,000 commercial stations."

How many people control the streaming industry? What is the value of that industry?

It is totally unregulated. One person can start an unlimited number of stations.

The number of owners doesn't matter if they all want the same thing, which is a share of the same ad market.

That put too many stations in too few hands.

We're now in a time when no one wants to buy. There's no motivation for a new owner to buy radio stations.

Look at what happened in Greenville. A chance for a new owner to buy into the market. It didn't happen.

Last edited:
Magic Still on HD Radio? Online?

Would be interesting to see if any effort is made thru HD Radio of the "Magic" / AC Format or whatever remnants of it may be out there. They were saying it would continue online, so maybe WFBC HD-4 and WYRD HD-2 will also continue with the Format since technically they wouldn't carry Spanish from the now Norsan programmed station on their former dial location. Would love to check HD Radio ASAP though perhaps audio (if still available) or on second thought, sound quality might still be an issue, was unchecked and muffled over 1 year and even thru a station sale...

🤔😱😓📻

Also I wonder if the 95.1 and 101.5 translators went to Spanish, or if were they maintained by Audacy...
93.7 HD4 and 98.9 HD2 are running Spanish programming, the same as 106.3, however all (including 106.3) have RDS showing what's playing on Magic's webstream currently.

La Raza format sounds very sloppy and low bitrate, just like the old Activa 103.9 although they're different owners. Imaging has a strange echo that doesn't sound good. I wonder what the likelihood is that this was already in the works or being finalized when Audacy announced they were divesting 106.3? I can't say I've ever seen something happen so fast, at least not in this market.

93.7 HD4 and 98.9 HD2 are running Spanish programming, the same as 106.3, however all (including 106.3) have RDS showing what's playing on Magic's webstream currently.

La Raza format sounds very sloppy and low bitrate, just like the old Activa 103.9 although they're different owners. Imaging has a strange echo that doesn't sound good. I wonder what the likelihood is that this was already in the works or being finalized when Audacy announced they were divesting 106.3? I can't say I've ever seen something happen so fast, at least not in this market.

Sounds like 106.3/93.7HD4/98.9HD2 are being fed by a Barix Box or comrex briclink over the internet and thats going directly to the transmitters, but its Magic's automation is still running and outputting as normal.

I'm pretty sure RDS data can be transmitted over the internet to a transmitter, but i dont know how its accomplished

Sounds like 106.3/93.7HD4/98.9HD2 are being fed by a Barix Box or comrex briclink over the internet and thats going directly to the transmitters, but its Magic's automation is still running and outputting as normal.

I'm pretty sure RDS data can be transmitted over the internet to a transmitter, but i dont know how its accomplished
Ah okay, makes sense. They’ve pulled the plug on the stream, so now nothing is showing in the “recently played” but the RDS/PAD is staying updated 🤪

Ah okay, makes sense. They’ve pulled the plug on the stream, so now nothing is showing in the “recently played” but the RDS/PAD is staying updated 🤪

Yup, sounds like RDS and Norsan are coming from two seperate sources, being fed in two different methods and both can operate at once.

The 105.7 translator didn't have RDS, so I wouldn't expect it soon on 106.3. Give the haste of this deal, technical work is probably being done in the most expedient way possible so they can get it closed.

Will they maintain the WSPA legacy call letters or change to something else?
It should be noted that originally WSPA radio and WSPA channel 7 TV were the same company, Spartan Broadcasting. Then they sold the radio stations, switched AM frequencies, and more recently moved from the strong 98.9 signal to the weaker 106.3. Today WSPA channel 7 is owned by Nexstar, and what was remaining of WSPA radio on 106.3 has now been sold by Audacy to Norsan/La Raza.

Back
Top Bottom