• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New sports format launches on 97.3

I was in the same area (around 99 and I-45). Isn't it funny how all these translators owned by Centro cristiano de vida eterna were able to hold their own, yet other translators were wiped off the dial??
You kinda said the same thing twice.

The FCC feels complaints need to have some meat or evidence included. It's sort of like police called out for a domestic violence call. If neither victim have any sign of being physically assaulted neither party gets arrested but rather urged to separate until cooler heads prevail. If an engineer provided some field strength readings then you bet the FCC would take a hard look. Either way, a complaint has some weight. The FCC might not rush out to see for themselves but might phone or send a letter suggesting the station make sure they are compliant. And even if that doesn't happen, it creates a paper trail on the station. Remember the FCC's workload is massive. It might not seem they're doing anything but all the while they are investigating and building a case before they pounce. Many times they'll take just enough action to resolve the issue versus blow through their budget just to make a point with one station that might not be able to pay a fine that can return some of those dollars spent.

If you're tired of the overpowered translators, file FCC complaints against them at the following link.
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

End of story.
Funny. You actually think that will result in something being done about it. The only way these translators would be looked at is if another licensed station complains about interference.

Now look, I'm not going to come out and say that Centro de Vida Cristiana (or whatever their name is) is broadcasting illegally. But what I will say is that in their current setup, there is a lot of interference to KTWL, KTHT, and KFNC. What that set up is, only their engineer knows.

If you're tired of the overpowered translators, file FCC complaints against them at the following link.
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

End of story.

Be sure to include a detailed plot of field strength readings made with an accepted and calibrated meter (a good one is in the $10,000 range) and evidence of listener complaints about reduction in service. Make sure the person signing any affidavits has a degree or qualifications that lend credibility to the measurements.

I finally made it out to take some pictures today. This is ASR 1059622, which is the tower owned by ATC off the Fort Bend Parkway Toll Road and Lake Olympia Pkwy. This is the site for one of the two current applications for K247CP.

The proposed antenna system is two Scala CL-FM yagis at 944' AGL, or about half-way up the tower. As you can see, there are none mounted.

atctower-full.jpg

Here's a shot of the antenna which mounted approximately at that level.

atctower-midpointantenna.jpg

I have no idea who this is, but it is likely a translator. This is on ASR 1064696, where K247CP filed to move after filing for ASR 1059622. This tower is also owned by American Tower, and was formerly known as the Richland Tower. It's where most of the Senior Road FMs have their backups.

This antenna is located just above the uppermost platform on the tower, and it appears to be a four bay Scala FMO crossed dipole, which is omnidirectional and has an antenna gain of 2 in this configuration.

Power handling capability per bay is 500W, so this antenna is capable of 2,000W input and producing up to a 4kW ERP signal.

scala-4bay-FMO-on-ASR1064696.jpg

I have no idea who owns this antenna, or what might be broadcasting from it, but it is in approximately the location on the tower where K247CP is proposed.

GOW MEDIA, LLC filed an informal objection against 97.3. Nice

Seems like they launched this translator very soon. They should have had waited to see if anyone was going to object to this frequency before launching LATINO SPORTS RADIO.

I suspect this will be a short lived format, you can't even listen to this station anywhere anymore. Besides an all sports network in Spanish doesn't seems to do enough to be in FM.

It's interesting reading, too.

If I read it correctly, KFNC objected to construction of the facility that Centro is operating now, then withdrew that objection after reaching some sort of agreement that the translator would broadcast KFNC programming.

How is a different matter, considering the fact that the translator would extend KFNC's coverage, and I can't see iHeart putting a competitor to KBME on one of their HD channels, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Apparently, things didn't move forward as planned between Gow and Centro, so KFNC is basically reinstating that objection.

The Commission sided with Gow the first time around.

Looks like their signal is a lot weaker now. Signal seems more in line now with what their expected coverage should be (considering their directional pattern and low power).

Next up, 105.3. They need to relocate from that channel. KTWL interference is not avoidable unless they go down to 1 watt like KMAZ-LP.

Looks like their signal is a lot weaker now. Signal seems more in line now with what their expected coverage should be (considering their directional pattern and low power).

Next up, 105.3. They need to relocate from that channel. KTWL interference is not avoidable unless they go down to 1 watt like KMAZ-LP.

They're not operating from the directional app site yet.

They're operating from a tower just west of Grand Parkway and West Bellfort near Pecan Grove.

I took a few shots of it over the weekend. I'll try to post them later.

It's an impressive bit of engineering work. Three bay antenna. The bays aren't quite equally spaced, and the power divider appears to be attached to the tower with electrical tape.

If their signal more closely matches what's licensed now, I'd guess they just turned down the power.

I'm certain they were operating from that site when I took the pictures. 97.1 and 97.5 were completely trashed within several miles of the stick and completely inaudible within a few blocks of it.

It's interesting reading, too.

If I read it correctly, KFNC objected to construction of the facility that Centro is operating now, then withdrew that objection after reaching some sort of agreement that the translator would broadcast KFNC programming.

How is a different matter, considering the fact that the translator would extend KFNC's coverage, and I can't see iHeart putting a competitor to KBME on one of their HD channels, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Apparently, things didn't move forward as planned between Gow and Centro, so KFNC is basically reinstating that objection.

The Commission sided with Gow the first time around.
They where supposed to make it sound like they were affiliated like saying ESPN RADIO EN ESPAÑOL they even have the same logo on their website and Facebook page.

They where supposed to make it sound like they were affiliated like saying ESPN RADIO EN ESPAÑOL they even have the same logo on their website and Facebook page.

They had a website already?? They really got ahead of themselves on that one.

I kinda doubt that. ESPN has a Spanish language affiliate in Houston already (1180 AM.)

ESPN Radio affiliates have a long list of restrictions governing their use of the name. I'm fairly sure signing on a new station to compete with their ESPN Deportes affiliate using the ESPN branding wouldn't be kosher.

I strongly suspect the agreement Gow references in their complaint was for a simulcast of 97.5 programming.

Its too bad there are only monetary penalties that the FCC hands out and not jail time for some of these miscreants.

As promised, here are a few pictures of the mighty K247CP.

The antenna looks to be a Nicom BKG77, and judging from the tower legs, the transmission line looks to be 1 5/8" Heliax type.

This is significantly overbuilt for a 250W translator, and the install would support much higher ERP operation than licensed. I'm not saying they're doing that, just that the antenna system would support it.

Judging from the paint, it looks like the transmission line has been there a while, and was most likely used for something else at some point, so I doubt it was installed for this translator.

Gotta love how the power divider is attached to the tower.

k247cp-1.jpg

k247cp-2.jpg

k247cp-3.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom