• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New 104.1 KVDU Application

KVDU has applied for essentially the same facility as before the tower fell, just few feet from the former site. Interestingly, they are looking to change the city of license (COL) of Gonzales. What would changing the COL to Gonzales do, other than move the COL into the Baton Rouge market? Hopefully we'll see WZRH follow suit. (It's hard to type that...it'll always be WCKW to me...LOL)

Map of new/old location: 29°57'13.7"N 90°43'25.3"W · South Vacherie, LA

Link to new application:

The ARSN noted in the app is the same as the old tower...likely the lat/long was off on the original license. The cost will be around $7million according to my sources. If they are going to rebuild the tower, they should put a damn elevator in it. Cumulus, being half owner, is gonna bear half the cost anyway...I hope they change the combiner...the antenna on the new stick should improve both signals as that kludge by Kaithern sucked...

The change filed is simply to change city-of-license right now. It specifies nothing about rebuilding the former tower.

The change filed is simply to change city-of-license right now. It specifies nothing about rebuilding the former tower.
With height, power, location same, my guess is move the COL to Gonzales, gives the town its first COL in like 30+ years, and would allow them to buy another radio station on FM. As technically Houma is outside New Orleans metro, but guess they are catching hell as technically Houma still relies on NOLA metro for many signals, plus tower space is at a premium here, whereas moving it to Gonzales, it's still in city grade of Vacherie tower, but moves them out of the NOLA market legally to be able to buy another full size signal.. but this is just my opinions.

Same, CW. The files seem to be corrupted. Glad to see Louisiana's 2 biggest signals may return.
I had the same problem, but I don't think it is a problem with the attachments on this application, it seems to be a problem with the FCC's system, perhaps with the virus scan or file conversation, as the other applications since then are failing too.

Somewhat unrelated but does iHeart have plans to keep the format or should they do a better job being more competitive with Magic?
The music was updated recently to add more classic rock..with 104.1 still on downtown One Shell and Tom made improvements on the STL feed to uncompressed plus the new Faxiva exciter which has great clean bass response, they'll likely do better in the ratings against Magic though no live jocks like 95.7 has...

Update:
The Vacherie tower will not be rebuilt ☹️ Cost would have been $7million .. instead 92.3 and 104.1 will downgrade to C1 or C0 and go to 1000ft towers close to the markets they were covering.. sad to see the tallest tower in La gone
So KVDU is changing to Gonzales and downgrading into the Baton Rouge market. WZRH is licensed to Laplace, which will not allow them to follow into BR. Also, probably can’t change cities as it is the only service there. Have you heard where they are headed?

So KVDU is changing to Gonzales and downgrading into the Baton Rouge market. WZRH is licensed to Laplace, which will not allow them to follow into BR. Also, probably can’t change cities as it is the only service there. Have you heard where they are headed?
Not yet. I’ll try to find out. KVDU will probably stay programming for Nola..

Not yet. I’ll try to find out. KVDU will probably stay programming for Nola..
Re: 104.1 There is no way they can hit Nola well with a c1/c0 signal that also puts a 60dbu over Gonzales. I see them moving to BR market, running spit ball spacing numbers, they could locate about 30 miles south of BR a 981ft 100kw site to meet spacing with 104.5 north of BR.
92.3 is a little more complex with spacing. Without them having the co-investment of I heart for a new 1000 foot plus site, I see the station downgrading to C2 on an existing site near reserve or laplace.

While we're on 104.1 the Spot but unrelated to the original topic, will they go Christmas again, come early November? I saw an article that iHeart Radio already has a domain setup for an all-Christmas station to flip after Halloween, if not sooner.

Is there a suitable tower for WZRH west of NOLA that is high enough? It doesn't seem to me it can move all the way to the tower farm.
It won't be targeting NOLA...from my contact at Cumulus,it looks like 92.3 will be headed to a 500ft tower near east BTR...I thought they may try to go on a 1000+ft tower but evidently not... iHeart wanted to downgrade KVDU years ago and move 103.7 in from Hattiesburg to the Algiers ATC tower..that likely COULD happen since 103.7 would have better coverage than 104.1 now without Vacherie

It won't be targeting NOLA...from my contact at Cumulus,it looks like 92.3 will be headed to a 500ft tower near east BTR...I thought they may try to go on a 1000+ft tower but evidently not... iHeart wanted to downgrade KVDU years ago and move 103.7 in from Hattiesburg to the Algiers ATC tower..that likely COULD happen since 103.7 would have better coverage than 104.1 now without Vacherie

That is very interesting. The Hattiesburg move-in does look possible at a casual glance, and might shed some light on why they didn't try too hard to keep KVDU as a NOLA station.

As for WZRH, it will run into some issues with a tower east of Baton Rouge, because of WBKL. It would either have to be from the SE around Prairieville or possibly from Addis on the western side of the Mississippi (not totally sure that will work).

Back
Top Bottom