• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Never got into much listening to oldies

Oldbones said:
firepoint525 said:
Will Lady Gag-Ga be getting her "music" re-released in 40 years the way the Beatles are now? Will anyone even be talking about Lady Gag-Ga in 40 years as much as they are talking about the Beatles now? Will anyone even remember Lady Gag-Ga 40 years from now? ::)

Old Bones....you should go under the name of No Brains. The one hit wonders have a lot of remembrance for just the 1 -4 hits they may have put out. There still used for commercials today, and if still with us, they managed to get booked for oldies concerts. People still remember their names or the songs. Most artist of the 90's that have had 1-2 hits are all ready forgotten. Even the millenium , check out the artist that had top 10 hit records...you won't remember even listening or remembered the song the first time. Plus these artists had video exposure, and the recording industry found themselves short at the end of the decade, because there weren't enough Greatest hits CD's or even Best Of's , because most of these artist were 1 hit wonders. One hit that's already forgotten to their perspective genres. They don't have the staying power like the 60's, 70's Motown, British invasion, and even the 50's which today is starting to sound dated, like the early 60's, but still classics forever.

OTOH, how many artists from 40 years ago have the ongoing fame as the Beatles? A handful, that's about it. I don't see people waiting in line to buy the remastered Tee Set collection or the ultimate Cowsills box set.

So you don't like Lady Gaga. How does that differentiate you from the oldsters in 1956 who hated Elvis? Or the Beatle-bashers in 1964? Etc., etc., etc.
Maybe she'll be remembered in 2049, maybe she won't. I probably won't be around to find out. :-\ Not many people remember Marianne Faithful either. There will never be "another Beatles". Times have changed and there is no such thing as a mass-appeal artist anymore. Just because you don't like today's music doesn't make it crap any more than my father disliking the Rolling Stones made them crap.

LibertyNT said:
Oldies, wanna know why I play them?
they are good. They are ACTUALLY MUSIC. not someone scratching on a record talking about how many hoes he can buy.

The music for the most part was clean (between the lines man)
The morals during that time were better families were families.
Radio was king and if the song was dirty it wasn't played and therefore never sold.

The 50's and 60's weren't necessarily that pure in and out of the music world....I was quite naive at 12 yrs old when I heard "60 minute man" and "honey love" and countless other R&B ditties, more sex going on between the lines than lovers lane..... all generations favor the music of their jr high thru high school years ON AVERAGE that's why we at 55 plus like oldies. I am helping my dad out back in 1959 (13 yrs old) mending a fence listening to Chuck Berry on the local top 40 station and my dad sez "that's Not music that's noise, Benny Goodman and Glen Miller , now that's music"........lets move forward to 1989...my 18 year old daughter and I are in the car listening to Bobby Brown "my Perrogative" and I said to my daughter "Thats not music that noise, Check Berry , the Beach Boys now that's music"..Ooooooooooops I became my dad complaining about the new music and elevating my Oldies. then came the 60's and they added drugs and it became "Drugs, Sex and Rock N' Roll".

I am probably in the minority , I enjoy and collect remakes a of Oldies Pop, Rock and Country.. Martina McBride recently recorded a magnificent CD of Honky Tonk Classics...Alan Jackson a couple of yrs ago did the same thing and It became a monster , he even charted about three hit singles , Pop A Top being the biggest, I beleive. LeeAnn Rimes did a few Patsy Cline pieces that are exceptional.. Look what Rod Stewart Did three volumes of million selling hit recordings of standards...Michale Buble is Currently at Number #1 on the Billboard Top 200 with all remakes. My favorite band of all time The Beach Boys recorded a LP entitled "16 Big Ones" in the late 70's or early 80's which produced a couple of chart hits and they have continued recording remakes since then... "wipeout", "california dreamin'", "Peggy Sue", "Come go with me". I am in the minority here, but I like them.

As much as I hate to admit it, and as much as I hate much of this Rap and Hip Hop crap, I must admit, music is simply in the ear of the beholder.

hornet61 said:
The 50's and 60's weren't necessarily that pure in and out of the music world....I was quite naive at 12 yrs old when I heard "60 minute man" and "honey love" and countless other R&B ditties, more sex going on between the lines than lovers lane..... all generations favor the music of their jr high thru high school years ON AVERAGE that's why we at 55 plus like oldies. .

Most of America wasn't hearing "60 Minute Man" and "Honey Love" on their Top 40 stations back in the '50s. Most R&B songs that made the Pop charts were covers by white artists (those versions we hate so much) and the lyrics were cleaned up.

TheFonz said:
hornet61 said:
The 50's and 60's weren't necessarily that pure in and out of the music world....I was quite naive at 12 yrs old when I heard "60 minute man" and "honey love" and countless other R&B ditties, more sex going on between the lines than lovers lane..... all generations favor the music of their jr high thru high school years ON AVERAGE that's why we at 55 plus like oldies. .

Most of America wasn't hearing "60 Minute Man" and "Honey Love" on their Top 40 stations back in the '50s. Most R&B songs that made the Pop charts were covers by white artists (those versions we hate so much) and the lyrics were cleaned up.

It wasn't long before Alan Freed fixed that.........but we were listening to, and panting to......

ELVIS
"One Night of sin
Is What I' am now Praying For"

Chuck
"We was Reelin' and rockin'
rollin' till the break of dawn"

ELVIS
Hold me close, hold me tight
Make me thrill with delight
Let me know where I stand from the start
I want you, I need you, I love you, I :eek:

hornet61 said:
TheFonz said:
hornet61 said:

It wasn't long before Alan Freed fixed that.........but we were listening to, and panting to......

ELVIS
"One Night of sin

Chuck

ELVIS

The version of Elvis' "One Night" that I heard on Top 40 radio contained the "cleaned up" lyrics ("One night with you..............). And we really can't blame rock & roll for suggestive lyrics, can we? How about Tony Martin"s "I Get Ideas", Georgia Gibbs' "Kiss Of Fire", Peggy Lee's "Fever" and Rosemary Clooney's "Come On-a My House"?

Prais said:
I have an i-pod w/2000 songs and I don't need some "25 year old expert" telling me what I want to hear. This is when "music was music" -not todays crap.

Biggest argument against oldies stations. Radio should "surprise and delight" not just churn out the same old 500 songs over and over We have ipods to do that

aggelon said:
Prais said:
I have an i-pod w/2000 songs and I don't need some "25 year old expert" telling me what I want to hear. This is when "music was music" -not todays crap.

Biggest argument against oldies stations. Radio should "surprise and delight" not just churn out the same old 500 songs over and over We have ipods to do that

Exactly there is no talent required to churn out 500 songs.........it's mixing the other 2500 - 3000 with those 500 is where the talent ,the knowledge, and having your finger on the pulse of the listeners, will create a killer station. Anybody and I mean anybody, can get the whitburn book and program the cookie cutter Oldies Station.

Radio should "surprise and delight" not just churn out the same old 500 songs over and over and pray tell..just where IS there a station like that ..with that LARGE a library ?? ;D ???

hornet61 said:
TheFonz said:
hornet61 said:

ELVIS
"One Night of sin

Chuck

ELVIS
Be Bop A Lula – Gene Vincent and his Blue Caps
Third verse:
“She’s the woman who’s got that beat
She’s the woman with the flying feet
She’s woman bopping ‘round the store
She’s the woman that gives me more, more, more…”

A little trivia here:
The Blue Caps band comprised Cliff Gallup (lead guitar), "Wee" Willie Williams (rhythm guitar), "Jumpin'" Jack Neal (string bass), and Dickie "Be Bop" Harrell (drums). When the song was being recorded, Harrell screamed in the background, he said because he “wanted to be sure his family could hear it was him on the record.” His scream fit in perfectly with Vincent’s panting vocals, adding to the sexual content [and nature] of the recording.

Shake, Rattle and Roll - Bill Haley
Haley’s recording was a cleaned up version of Joe Turner’s classic, which contained the lyrics - "I've been holdin' it in, way down underneath / You make me roll my eyes, baby, make me grit my teeth". Both Turner's and Haley's versions contain the double entendre "I'm like a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store." The chorus uses "shake, rattle and roll" to refer to boisterous intercourse, in the same way that the words "rock and roll" was first used by numerous rhythm and blues singers of the 1940s and 50s. Elvis recorded a single at RCA in 1956 using Turner’s original lyrics, and got away with it.

Little Richard – Long Tall Sally
“Long tall Sally, she’s built sweet,
She’s got everything that Uncle John need,
Oh baby…”

Fever – Little Willie John
“…Listen to me baby, hear every word I say,
No one can love you the way I do,
Cause they don’t know how to love you my way…”

There are many more, this is but a taste. ;)

GridLeakBias said:
hornet61 said:
TheFonz said:
hornet61 said:

ELVIS
"One Night of sin

Chuck

ELVIS
Be Bop A Lula – Gene Vincent and his Blue Caps
Third verse:
“She’s the woman who’s got that beat
She’s the woman with the flying feet
She’s woman bopping ‘round the store
She’s the woman that gives me more, more, more…”

A little trivia here:
The Blue Caps band comprised Cliff Gallup (lead guitar), "Wee" Willie Williams (rhythm guitar), "Jumpin'" Jack Neal (string bass), and Dickie "Be Bop" Harrell (drums). When the song was being recorded, Harrell screamed in the background, he said because he “wanted to be sure his family could hear it was him on the record.” His scream fit in perfectly with Vincent’s panting vocals, adding to the sexual content [and nature] of the recording.

Haley’s recording was a cleaned up version of Joe Turner’s classic, which contained the lyrics - "I've been holdin' it in, way down underneath / You make me roll my eyes, baby, make me grit my teeth". Both Turner's and Haley's versions contain the double entendre "I'm like a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store." The chorus uses "shake, rattle and roll" to refer to boisterous intercourse, in the same way that the words "rock and roll" was first used by numerous rhythm and blues singers of the 1940s and 50s. Elvis recorded a single at RCA in 1956 using Turner’s original lyrics, and got away with it.

Little Richard – Long Tall Sally
“Long tall Sally, she’s built sweet,
She’s got everything that Uncle John need,
Oh baby…”

Fever – Little Willie John
“…Listen to me baby, hear every word I say,
No one can love you the way I do,
Cause they don’t know how to love you my way…”

There are many more, this is but a taste. ;)

Put on your wig hat, baby, 'cause we're going out tonight - Bobby Womack - High Heel Sneakers

GridLeakBias said:

Always loved that line about the one-eyed cat!!

BTW, you need to amend your sign-off.... The Senator proudly proclaimed it was 300 million for Louisiana

deltas69 said:
Radio should "surprise and delight" not just churn out the same old 500 songs over and over and pray tell..just where IS there a station like that ..with that LARGE a library ?? ;D ???
Unfortunatley only on the net.......but, fortunatley, there are many good ones.

IMO - Best of the Best, based on library, creative programming, packaging.....all three listed below are superb :), and will blow you away.

hits of yesteryear radio show, with Glenn59 (amazing play list, amazing programming,solid cross-section of music)
richbroradio.com (all around sound, very nice packaging)
Golden Oldies with DJ Diana out of Jersey on live365 (voted the best by listeners on 365,solid east coast sound,lotta good real doo-wop)

hornet61 said:
deltas69 said:
Unfortunatley only on the net.......but, fortunatley, there are many good ones.

IMO - Best of the Best, based on library, creative programming, packaging.....all three listed below are superb :), and will blow you away.

hits of yesteryear radio show, with Glenn59 (amazing play list, amazing programming,solid cross-section of music)
richbroradio.com (all around sound, very nice packaging)
Golden Oldies with DJ Diana out of Jersey on live365 (voted the best by listeners on 365,solid east coast sound,lotta good real doo-wop)

Lets add Radio Bop '50s: http://www.radiobop.com and Radio Bop '60s: http://www.radiobop60s.com/

I Think My station is pretty good. I believe I have at least 200+ more songs then the local Oldies/Classic Hits stations in my Market. 605 may not look like much but it takes a week to reshuffle the play list.

But unless you live nearby you ain't gunna hear me ;D :( :mad: :D

Put on your wig hat, baby, 'cause we're going out tonight - Bobby Womack - High Heel Sneakers
[/quote]

The version I remember is Tommy Tucker's.

icycool7227 said:
I don't get oldies stations and how this format succeeds. They don't play any new music so why does it bill well? I mean like other people have said who wants to hear old, old songs today?

Frame that quote and read it 40 years from now . . . and you will find your answer.

radioman148 said:

The version I remember is Tommy Tucker's.
[/quote]

LOL - oops - right you are. Ha ha ha. Tommy Tucker it was, and I was thinking of Bobby Womack when I posted, so I just went with it.

SuperRadioFan said:
BTW, you need to amend your sign-off.... The Senator proudly proclaimed it was 300 million for Louisiana
$100 mil here, $300 mil there - soon we'll be talking real money, que no?

Who was it said: The U.S. has the best government money can buy?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom