• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Musical selections that seem out of character

I can't think of any single artist that would be further away from the Beatles sound than Gilbert O'Sullivan.

To the uneducated ear perhaps but I can only think of one (other than the obvious tribute bands) - Badfinger.

I don't really get that Badfinger sounds like The Beatles. Some people thought that "Lies" by The Knickerbockers WAS The Beatles but it never occurred to me either. The Dave Clark Five's "Because" sounds like something The Beatles would do but it doesn't sound like them.

I don't really get that Badfinger sounds like The Beatles. Some people thought that "Lies" by The Knickerbockers WAS The Beatles but it never occurred to me either. The Dave Clark Five's "Because" sounds like something The Beatles would do but it doesn't sound like them.

That's the magic of music. Everyone hears something different.

Well, one similarity was that both the Beatles and Badfinger were on Apple Records.

Keep in mind The Beatles had many different sounds. They didn't have just the one sound.

In their early days they were very distinctive. That changed dramatically as they expanded their horizons and added more and more instruments.

"Alone Again (Naturally)" was such a big hit at the time that it was very hard to follow up with an equally successful song.

See, I think "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" by Pete Fountain would be out of character...in just about any format.

Michael, you made me think of something I ran across, while looking up the song, that was popular, when my mother was born,(1913) on one of those sites, with that information. It seems that there were these two guys, who had a comedy act and for about 20 years, performed songs, the titles of which were so racist that absolutely no one in this day and age would even consider saying them out loud and yet it was popular entertainment then!

"Do You Love Me?"

Standards is a format where people sing, not scream.

Saying the morning show is "oldies" doesn't work because then what do you say about "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion?

Or "Bubbly".

"Do You Love Me?"

Standards is a format where people sing, not scream.

Saying the morning show is "oldies" doesn't work because then what do you say about "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion?

Or "Bubbly".

"Because You Loved Me" is 19 years old. You could argue "oldies" if your definition is "old hit music", without tying it to a particular decade.

"Bubbly" is eight years old. Same there, but it's getting close.

In 1965, if you played a song from 1957, you were playing an oldie. In 1975, if you played a song from 1967, you were playing an oldie. In 1985, if you played a song from 1977, you were playing an oldie. In 1995, if you were playing a song from 1987, you were playing an oldie, but probably didn't call it that.

Based on your posts, the station is clearly not standards. I'd say it's attempting to be a bit of standards, a bit of oldies, a bit of adult contemporary and a bit of whatever the heck they feel like (that's the Pete Fountain "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" bit).

If I had to settle for a label, I'd go for "poorly focused" or "schizophrenic".

Last edited:
Based on your posts, the station is clearly not standards. I'd say it's attempting to be a bit of standards, a bit of oldies, a bit of adult contemporary and a bit of whatever the heck they feel like (that's the Pete Fountain "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" bit).

It sounds like they are mixing formats to me as well. What's the call letters or name of this particular station?

Sounds like an interesting blend of music on shuffle. lol.

Based on your posts, the station is clearly not standards.
The morning show doesn't seem to be. But it is America's Best Music most of the time, and by today's definition of the term, it is when is on.
I'd say it's attempting to be a bit of standards, a bit of oldies, a bit of adult contemporary and a bit of whatever the heck they feel like (that's the Pete Fountain "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" bit).

If I had to settle for a label, I'd go for "poorly focused" or "schizophrenic".
Pete Fountain is on America's Best Music.

I used to listen to a station that was all over the road like this. For about a month. It was ABC standards (Stardust or Timeless Classics, and still did that at night during that month, when the nighttime sound was very traditional indeed) before and after that and on the local morning show and a weekend show, still close to that. I sent my very first email to them and congratulated them on having such a talented chimpanzee as their music director. A typo in the subject llne that I didn't know how to correct ... well, you do the math.

Sounds like a mish mash of formats. What's the name of the station?

Memories 1280. ABC had a soft oldies format called Memories or Unforgettable Favorites. The station was already doing music a lot like that in 2002 (until it went all-sports each afternoon) when it was sold, so they used the satellite format until it became Timeless Favorites, which other area stations were doing. So America's Best Music was the new format.

"Oldies" clearly won't describe this morning show. Although one of the substitute DJs did use the word. The substitutes didn't do the same music as the regular DJ.

In addition to Celine Dion and Colbie Caillat, you also have the new versions of old songs performed by Michael Buble.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom