• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Movies! And Catchy Comedy off WWOO?

As of this morning, WWOO is showing (a zoomed-in version of) Antenna TV on 17.1 (it’s usually on 17.4). Newsnet has gone from 17.3 to 17.2. And there’s no signal on 17.3 and 17.4. Catchy Comedy and Movies are nowhere to be seen. I’m guessing it’s a glitch rather than something deliberate. But with that station, who knows?

Thanks! Kinda funny that Catchy, the renamed Decades, is going back to WBZ, where it was on 4.2 when Decades first started.
WWOO-DT is converting to to ATSC 3.0 and will be doing experimental 5G Broadcast / Multicast to cell phones and tablets. See the links at the bottom of this FCC filing:
Licensing and Management System
Antenna TV is moving to sister station WVCC-LD. There is a great deal of info in those links.

Thanks for the links. My reception for WVCC isn’t nearly as strong as WWOO, but WWOO is a UHF station and WVCC is VHF low, so that’s understandable. I can still get Antenna TV 90% of the time from WNAC in Providence.

TiVo has even added it, in a rare instance of being ahead of the game in terms of local listings. But nothing yet. I thought we might see it on July 1, but I’m sure it’s soon.

TiVo has even added it, in a rare instance of being ahead of the game in terms of local listings. But nothing yet. I thought.5 we might see it on July 1, but I’m sure it’s soon.
WSBK 38.5 is still carrying StartTV programming, however their program guide is showing the schedule for Movies!

Hello today is July 21, 2023 does anyone know when over the air channel 4.5 WBZ Will commence broadcasting catchy comedy? It’s been a while now since catchy comedy left WWOO. I am hoping they will be on by August 1st?

Interesting, perhaps both catchy comedy as well as movies! Need to be off the air for a specific amount of time in the Boston area after they both left WWOO TV? Perhaps we are a bit too early looking for them now? Maybe a month or two from now they will begin broadcasting them.

Something unexpected may have created a delay for Movies!. It is somewhat amusing to see WSBK 38.5 carrying the program guide for Movies!, the StartTV programming, while still displaying the channel name "Circle" (which they had dropped a while back).

I also contacted WBZ and heard nothing. I no longer see the “Coming Soon” messages for WBZ on the Movies and Catchy Comedy websites (Although I could be looking in the wrong place).

I also contacted WBZ and heard nothing. I no longer see the “Coming Soon” messages for WBZ on the Movies and Catchy Comedy websites (Although I could be looking in the wrong place).
There was a "coming soon" message on the Movies! site for WSBK at one point. It doesn't seem to be there now.

Who knows? Delays by a vendor in setting up the links to the WBZ / WSBK master control? Some new contract requirement? Vacation delay? Or maybe they have completely changed plans?

Just to add another oddity to this - WVCC-LD has been off the air completely for about 2 -3 weeks - from the night of a big lightning storm - which may only be a coincidence, since NewsNet only had a message that "NewsNet will be back" for a couple of weeks before that.

I don’t understand why both movies! and catchy comedy left WWOO did WBZ muscle their way into taking both of these channels away from WWOO? I believe they both went off around June 10th?

I don’t understand why both movies! and catchy comedy left WWOO did WBZ muscle their way into taking both of these channels away from WWOO? I believe they both went off around June 10th?
WWOO is removing all standard programming in favor of experimental testing of 5G broadcasting, This link to the FCC web site was posted previously above. At the bottom of this page are links to FCC forms and magazine articles about the 5G testing.

Licensing and Management System

Regardless of how it happened, WBZ is a more attractive affiliate for Catchy and Movies. WBZ is a full-power station as opposed to low-power WWOO, and it can leverage the must-carry rules to get cable systems to carry its new substations.

I agree there on as far as a more attractive affiliate. I’m on the south shore and I couldn’t of received WWOO if it wasn’t for my 8 element UHF array and my winegard uhf vhf amplifier see below

Attachments

• A43911C1-4BDE-4CFA-9CD7-4598CDBB533F.jpg
    A43911C1-4BDE-4CFA-9CD7-4598CDBB533F.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 94FADEE2-90F3-429D-995C-4F336E09F0E5.jpg
    94FADEE2-90F3-429D-995C-4F336E09F0E5.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 6
I got a note back from Catchy Comedy yesterday - they said CC “will be back on the air in Boston on WBZ-TV Channel 4.5 sometime at the end of August. We don’t have an exact date yet but will share it with you as soon as we know.”

Back
Top Bottom