• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MARK DAVIS LEAVING WBAP

In his words:
The question has arisen, and here is the answer. My contract with WBAP's new owners, Cumulus, ended last week and we have been unable to reach an agreement on a renewal. I will be in all the other places I occupy-- Fox 4 and WFAA, and my column in the Dallas Morning News-- and I will be here in the blogosphere every day, often multiple times, with my thoughts on matters large and small. Keep a good thought for all my friends at BAP, and treat them with high regard. Everything is cordial, and I have nothing but good things to say about everyone in that operation I have served for 18 years. No matter what happens, I will be in touch.

jeffdfw said:
Why doesn't CBS kill The Fan and simulcast KRLD AM on 105.3 and add Mark.

Makes too much sense. It will never work.

Off topic, but New School is by far the WORST morning show, sports or otherwise, that I have ever heard. Two blowhards with no chemistry with anyone on the crew. I actually think Jasmine has some talent but she'll never be able to land an honest gig with that garbage on her resume.

I liked listening to Mark, but he did say so very recently on-air that "Major Market Radio Personalities Make Around $300k" (as in $300,000 dollars) (as in all of em) per year.

I was taken a back - it was a very weird statement to hear.

I would never have said that in the months before Cumulus took over... just like advertising for trouble!

Try and keep that salary hidden from Lew as much as possible...

They offered Mark a solid 38k, he'd keep his normal airshift, syndicate for free, do 3 more hours on across the hall on KLIF, and he could take an additional 10% off on any SweetJack client he wanted 2 times a month.

Bob LaBlah said:
They offered Mark a solid 38k, he'd keep his normal airshift, syndicate for free, do 3 more hours on across the hall on KLIF, and he could take an additional 10% off on any SweetJack client he wanted 2 times a month.

Well done Scott Baio.

Has it really been 18 years? I guess it has. I was in Plano between March 21, 1994 and April 3, 1994. This was right after KAAM had left 1310. Drifting aimlessly, I was listening to WBAP, and heard Mark Davis do his first show on 820. I remember him introducing himself and kind of laying out his views. Since then I have heard him as one of the "Marks", that sits in for Rush. My best to him.

So they are seemingly willing to lose Mark Davis........but they are bringing in Krazy Krok? Huhhh? Seems like a good way to run a strong station into the ground.

I understand Keith Olbermann is looking for a new gig. Cumulus could bring him in to fill Mark's time slot. Just think of what a great pair of bookends Olbermann and Krok would make for their broadcast day. A crazy left wing lunatic in the morning and a crazy right wing lunatic in the evening.

The Dickey boys would fire their mama if they thought they could put a few more bucks in their pockets. No regard for employees. No regard for listeners. No regard for radio. A lesson learned well from their ol' man.

We're witnessing a contract impasse played out in public. Cumulus can't afford to lose Davis. They will either realize that and come to an agreement or they won't and they'll suffer the consequences.

I just knew it wouldn't be long before the sacred cow that is WBAP would start to be ruined.
WBAP if left the same would be the Cash cow for all of Cumulus in DFW (and The Ticket), why mess with it?

tested said:
We're witnessing a contract impasse played out in public. Cumulus can't afford to lose Davis. They will either realize that and come to an agreement or they won't and they'll suffer the consequences.

Mark's numbers are down 60% from last February. Sounds like the consequences have occurred already. Time to move on.

woodyrr said:
...one of the "Marks", that sits in for Rush...

Wonder if that deal will continue, what with WBAP still carrying Rush's show.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ning-all-news-in-la-atlanta-minneapolis-more/

Cumulus has stated over and over about their intent. It's about the National footprint . Radio+print+web + etc. It's not about "a" station or "a" talent.

They're playing for as many beans as they can get. They are not playing for best boss of the year award.

When you hear someone sub par on the air:

If Wal Mart has a bag of chips on the shelf that not many people buy but the store over all is still killin it in sales, then that bag of chips will get a longer than deserved shelf life. (it's not ALL about that particular 8 inch wide piece of realty on the shelf at that one store)

Flip side when someone above average goes away:

If Wal Mart has a bag of chips that brings in 3x the price point of the others but is regional, comes from an outside vendor that requires attention(is different from the national template), and doesn't turn as fast as 5 bags of Doritos at half the cost, it's shelf position will be eliminated in favor of something that fits the national operation plan.

From the bean counter standpoint it is the way to go. Fire all the local talent making a good living. Save that money. Slap on a syndicated show or lower paid talent. Revenue isn't going to be lost and the bottom line increased.

Good Bean Counting and Good Business are not always the same thing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom