• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Los Angeles Radio Ratings: April 2023

But the rotations changed... powers and primary currents were fewer and recurrents took the slack. The end result was less big currents in every hour.

Correct. Some people compared it to Hot AC, but it was still more frequent than that. It was just less than 100. Now it's back to 120 spins.

Now they're playing about a dozen songs by Miley Cyrus. They're playing currents by Kane Brown and Morgan Wallen. Lots of things they didn't do a year ago.

It’s not my go to format, but classic hits is indestructible as a format these days. Isn’t it amazing, the most criticized format on these boards is one of the most successful formats nationwide…

It's easy when everyone already knows the music. A lot tougher when you're trying to introduce new artists and new music. But that's what most of the other formats do 24/7. It goes back to what I said about KIIS.

It’s not my go to format, but classic hits is indestructible as a format these days. Isn’t it amazing, the most criticized format on these boards is one of the most successful formats nationwide…
And while the format does well nationally, L.A. is where it's doing exceptionally well---possibly because the station is very tailored to the market.

In New York, WCBS-FM is fourth. In Chicago, WLS-FM is eighth. In San Francisco, KOSF is 11th. KLUV in Dallas is #2. WOGL in Philly is fourth.

Houston really doesn't have an equivalent (95.7 The Spot is more like JACK--it's #5). Atlanta and Washington D.C. don't seem to have an equivalent, either.

We get fresh numbers for D.C. and Boston today, along with markets 11-19.

The APR 2023 (3/30-4/26) for 88.5 The SoCal Sound (KCSN/KSBR) scores the highest 6+ number I recall them obtaining, and puts them just 2 spots below KCRW, which has been a local public radio spot for music discovery for far longer.

The thing is people on here are talking about "blowing up" the format to make it something else (ie adding Doja Cat.)

Nobody is talking about "blowing up the format". Classic Hits (as KRTH proves) is whatever relatively recent non-current hit music adults between 18 and 49 want to hear and...

what the hell is it with you and Doja Cat anyway?
I was referring to the other thread where talk of shifting the format as a whole several decades. (Similar to KCAR in Joplin.)

And while the format does well nationally, L.A. is where it's doing exceptionally well---possibly because the station is very tailored to the market.

In New York, WCBS-FM is fourth. In Chicago, WLS-FM is eighth. In San Francisco, KOSF is 11th. KLUV in Dallas is #2. WOGL in Philly is fourth.

Houston really doesn't have an equivalent (95.7 The Spot is more like JACK--it's #5). Atlanta and Washington D.C. don't seem to have an equivalent, either.

We get fresh numbers for D.C. and Boston today, along with markets 11-19.
Washington actually does have Audacy owned Classic Hits WIAD, which moved up to #6 25-54 this month. The station has never been the strongest performer, though it has ocassionally had good books.

For what it's worth, I actually really like the song selections on KRTH, though I am out of market. Say what you will about their playlist being short or how often their powers play, but the songs they DO play are mostly songs that I love or like a lot. Because of that, I'm glad for their success.

Back
Top Bottom